Good and EVO

Sprint clarifies accusations of throttling

Sprint-data-plans

Just one day after the tech blogosphere had a field day with Sprint, during which Sprint was accused of throttling the top 1% of data hogs in spite of advertising truly unlimited data, Sprint has come out with a brief statement to clarify the matter:

Reports that Sprint throttles the top one percent of data users are false. Here are the facts:

– Sprint does not throttle any postpaid phone data users for on-network or off-network usage. Sprint is the only national carrier offering smartphone users truly unlimited data with no throttling, metering or overages while on the Sprint network.

– Sprint does have terms and conditions which prohibit certain types of data use that may impair other customers' usage or harm or interfere with the network. At yesterday’s investor conference, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse was referring to Sprint’s right to terminate service of data abusers who violate Sprint’s terms and conditions. Customers who abuse our network by violating the terms and conditions will be contacted by Sprint in an effort to have the customer change their usage to comply with their subscriber agreement. Customers who do not change their usage and remain in violation of the terms and conditions may be subject to actions reserved by Sprint, including but not limited to termination. Consistent with our advertising, engaging in such uses will not result in throttling for customers on unlimited data-included plans for phones.

In other words: No, Sprint is not throttling the heaviest of data users. No, Sprint is not throttling people who roam too much. Rather, Sprint will reach out to those who "remain in violation of the terms and conditions" (read: those who tether without the proper plan). Sprint's usual course of action is to terminate service for those who continue to do this after being warned, although they reserve the right to employ other actions.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me. Are you happy with this answer?

[Sprint]

John F

10 thoughts on “Sprint clarifies accusations of throttling

• sounds to me what everyone knew all along

So the CEO lied in the previous report?

• If they terminate you, are you subject to the ETF? Im assuming yes.

It seems a lot of people are making a big deal about unofficial tethering, but in reality (and speaking from experience) I doubt they care. UNLESS you’re using your phone as your home’s primary modem/router. You start consuming Netflix on your Xbox, downloading roms for your three Tabs, and torrenting all the latest releases, and they’ll very likely figure out what you’re doing. Occasional tethering? Not likely. 50GB of data consumption…explain that one!

• I can back the unlimited data! One of my friends showed me his bill with 160+ gigs of data use and and all for $10! No call from sprint no cancelled account! I lost the bet because I said he would get cancelled!

• Dang! I thought my 16gb usage last month was bad!

Wow! Well, Nice to know I’m nowhere near the top tier users!

• I have gotten one of those letters from Sprint warning me of my usage. I have no idea of what my actual usage is. I have the original EVO. I have never even rooted my phone. I work in a building and I have to be in data roaming all day to be able to get a signal. That’s nine plus hours a day five days a week. Basically my phone is now useless during the work week.. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

• Marie Lee: There are a couple of possibilities. If you only need data, but not voice to talk on the phone, connecting to a wireless router would solve the problem. If there is a wireless network in the building you would just need to get the password to log in. From then on your phone would connect you automatically.

If there is no wireless network installed but you have an ethernet connection to the internet, you could buy a wireless router and set it up for just your use.

If you need both voice and data get an Airave from Sprint. Basically it creates your own mini cell tower. If you want, you can also allow other Sprint customers in the building to connect through it as well or just limit it to your use. I’ve been using mine for a couple of years and it always works great. It also needs an ethernet connection to the internet because that is how it connects with Sprint’s service. The Airave includes a GPS receiver on a long cable that needs to have a view of the sky. Ask Sprint if the Airave will function without GPS if you don’t have a place near a window to place the Airave.

• I have the airave at home.. Without it I wouldn’t have a connection at all… but at work, a power company call center, we’re not allowed to connect to their wifi or plug in unfortunately… It’s a large commercial call center.. Thanks!!