Good and EVOSoftware Updates

HTC confirms Ice Cream Sandwich for HTC EVO 3D and EVO Design 4G … again

Htc-ics-facebook

HTC again took to Facebook earlier today to confirm that several devices in their lineup would be getting the update to Ice Cream Sandwich later this year, including the HTC EVO 3D and EVO Design 4G. There's still no official word on whether or not the EVO View will be getting it, and you can probably bet quite a bit of money on the EVO 4G not officially seeing ICS at all.

Interestingly, the wording has changed slightly from HTC's previous Facebook post, which promised ICS in "early 2012." Now, HTC is simply saying "later this year." It's unclear whether or not this indicates a delay in getting the OTA update out there.

Here's the full post from HTC:

HTC has been working hard to get its Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades ready, and we’re excited to announce that our first round of ICS upgrades will roll out by the end of March for the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation 4G and HTC Sensation XE, followed soon there after by the HTC Sensation XL.

In addition, we can confirm Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades will be coming later this year to the HTC Rezound, HTC Vivid, HTC Amaze 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G, HTC Incredible S, HTC Desire S and HTC Desire HD. Stay tuned for more updates on Ice Cream Sandwich releases in the coming weeks.

[Facebook]

John F

26 thoughts on “HTC confirms Ice Cream Sandwich for HTC EVO 3D and EVO Design 4G … again

• I think we’re looking at April/May, at best, given the wording… I’ll probably be looking forward to my next phone by then (kinda like with the EVO 4G & GB). Could be worse tho, look at Samsung, they’re STILL rolling out GB to some of it’s US phones. Don’t tell me that’s entirely the carrier’s fault either because Sprint/Moto deal with the same carriers and they pushed out GB to most 2010/2011 phones quite a while ago.

• Oh and I’ve always been partial to Sense ROMs despite hating the launcher, because I like many of the other enhancements (lock screen, ringer/gyro tricks, etc)… But with ICS I think that stock Android has absorbed enough of those features that I’ll surely be switching to CM9 if it comes out sooner, 4G & 3D be damned.

• All I want for Saint Valentine’s Day … Is somebody with the binaries for both cameras, including 3D, Gallery for the 3VO to leak them to the development community. OK, maybe that is asking to much…..latest Saint Patrick’s Day

This is straight bs the sensation gets a date and the evo line which put htc on the Android map is pushed back till later this year. Didn’t the 3d launch before the sensation? Sorry to say but this is the end of my love affair with htc products. I can’t wait to get my hands on the galaxy nexus especially after seeing what they did with the honeycomb and sense combination. HTC has dropped the ball on this one hardcore.

It pisses me off that they decided to just kick the EVO to the curb. I guess my fault for buying the hottest Android on the market at that time. One of the first of it’s kind and it gets replaced by the 3D and Design and left to rot. Thanks HTC :)

• Patience. Be glad you don’t own a Samsung.

Would you have installed Windows Vista the day it came out, or even a couple months after? No. In fact, you probably didn’t. Because you knew that the new OS would have it’s problems and it would take time to sort them out (in this case, years *COUGH*Win7*COUGH*.)

I’d rather HTC took their time with it. Seeing some of the crappy updates the EVO4G took in the chin, I say test the hell out of it and put it through an extra QC loop. And when it does come out, I expect the 3D to work at least as well as in Gingerbread, if not better. It works fine now, I can wait.

If nothing else, this is a validation of their stance that they made too many phones.

I’m waiting for a quad-core beast with HD resolution (1280×720) for my next phone, so I should be satisfied by sometime next fall, right around when my upgrade period ends. I will be keeping my 3D as a media player and trick camera. I figured I was in it for the long haul with this handset anyway. By then the hacks should be done and/or hopefully HTC will release their 3D driver code to developers. I seriously don’t see them making a successor to the 3D. It seems to be kind of a moot point. I love it, but it isn’t for everybody, which is what they need to concentrate on.

• Later this year? Bad HTC!!!

• While that bites about the Sensation being first, it makes sense. The 3D is basically the Sensation + 3D, so it’s logical that they’d nail the core first, being the Sensation. Once that works, they can add on the 3D part.

Shwing!!!!!! Lol I can wait I love my E3D. So whatever, when ever it hits it hits.

• The G1 put HTC on the Android Map.

I agree with the comment above me. The evo 3d is already amazing I can wait.

• I know the G1 was the first Android but the og evo was the first Android with a large display, 4g, front facing camera, and a sick processor.

And its almost 2 years old…

• ridiculous…Evo3D later this year…by then they will release a newer EVO… I can’t wait to find a phone with better battery life that is thinner, sleeker in design, and receives quick updates…GNexus here I come. HTC your launcher and widgets can only keep me for so long…Sense is nice but also holds you back.

Htc has disapointed all. This time if ice is not on my evo 3d by march. I will purchase nexus. Goodbye htc..

Amen brother! I just saw some leaked photos of what looks to be the lte incredible running sense over ics and it just looks horrible compared to the beauty of the galaxy nexus. I think that even if they were to rollout ics for the 3d tomorrow I’d still be grabbing the nexus.

Anyone know or hear any more info about when we may expect cm9 for evo4g?? I figured that will obviously be the only way I’ll see ics.?? Sense roms take up alot of space so I really don’t want try any of those roms with beta at best ics. Thanks for any info.

Sorry but Samsung Galaxy Note will be my next phone. Anyone interested in buying HTC Evo 3D?

No…. the 3D is the Evo4g + 3D, hence the name

I think they will have android system peanut butter cup out before each phone manufacture and cell phone company have finished adapting this release

• Samsung Galaxy Notewill probably be my next phone as well. I beleive HTC kicked us Evo 4 users to the curb and we won’t see ICS. It bad enough carriers are getting 4G price without having the service avaialable for all to use. Then to drop us off the ICS list is unspeakable.

• You know that ics is just the os. The nexus sucks. HTC all the way. Evo 3d is the best one yet.

The EVO One X (or whatever Sprint calls it) won’t allow you to upgrade the battery to a higher capacity – that kills it for me. I am looking at a new Sprint Android phone, but I want current OS technology. I guess I’ll look at the EVO 3D.

• I couldn’t have said it better myself, part of the reason i bought my 3VO was because of the promised upgrade which probably wont be here until near the end of the year from the looks of it now. I am very very dissapointed in htc but am looking forward to a hopefully fruitful relationship between google and motorola with their new acquisition. HTC I will not be back.

Y’all know that sprint has discontinued the evo 3D right? Which basically means no ICS update for it now. That phone sucked anyway.