Good and EVO

ROM Picks: Nitrous v1.3.1 for HTC EVO 4G

Banner (1)

We are continuing our look at stock-based ROMs for the HTC EVO 4G, and today let's spend some time with Nitrous ROM (version 1.3.1) by developer raafaell. Its tagline is "Welcome to the Garage! You are about to Boost your HTC EVO 4G," so how can you not be intrigued?

As I will reiterate with every stock-based ROM we review, this ROM is completely stable because it's based off of the latest 4.67 OTA update straight from HTC.

In my opinion, Nitrous is one of the most revolutionary Sense 1.0 ROMs to hit the OG EVO in awhile. The difference between Nitrous and most other ROMs before it is "The Tuneup Kit." We'll thoroughly detail what this is after the break, but in brief: it brings many tweaks and mods under your EVO's hood (gotta love wordplay).

On top of the highly improved base, raafaell has added in many experience-improving features. Nitrous does a great job of providing a fairly stock ROM with some excellent transparent dock, lock bar, and status bar elements added. The dev has also managed to get the Swiping Notifications mod (introduced by ca1ne) to work with Quick Settings.

Keep reading for full details on the Nitrous ROM.

trans - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereSo what are the goods?

• Based off of the 4.67.651.3 OTA Update from HTC
  • Apps2SD, itit.d scripts (including V6 Supercharger), and JPEG quality increased to 100%
  • Advanced Power Menu and CRT Animations
  • Quick Settings/Recent Apps, Swiping Notifications, true data displayed, and no GPS icon displayed in status bar
  • Google Talk with video and voice working
  • Native Screenshot and Overscroll Glow also Flying window transitions
  • Right dock button remapped to LaunchKey (open LaunchKey and map the right button to any app)
  • Transparent dock, lock bar, and status bar also blue neon popup windows
  • Stock kernel

• WiFi scan set to 150 seconds – saves battery
  • Enabled WiFi sleep mode
  • Disabled USB debugging icon notification
  • Increased overall touch responsiveness
  • 3G Tweaks – increased 3G network speed
  • Net Speed Tweaks – increased WiFi network speed
  • Disabled phone wakeup on volume buttons
  • Heap size is 48MB
  • Increased photo and video recording quality
  • Zipalign on boot
  • Battery calibration on boot
  • Other tweaks for speed added

More Screeshots

2012-02-21_06-52-37Shot_000009

Shot_000031Shot_000030

Add-Ons

raafaell has already added a few mods and themes for his ROM. Let's hope that he keep this up with future releases.

The first mod will change the window animations to be a little fancier (these are flashable .zips).

ICSRudolf | Fold | Flip | Flying

There are some theme-changing .zips too.

Black Status Bar (reverts window animations to Flying)

Original HTC Clock Widget

As I stated while reviewing Red Line, rooted HTC EVO 4G users must make sure that their dev is committed to the ROM they are using. Some developers release a few big updates (think EVO Classic) that each take huge jumps and correct minor errors. Other developers, like raafaell, are constantly releasing updates.

This is great for the ROM's performance, but can be difficult on the user. Users are constantly wondering if they are on the latest version and if they should or should not update. But I know that Nitrous is one of the best, if not the best, Sense 1.0 ROM available at the time of this writing.

Let's face it. When you have a ROM as great as this, it gets hard to find flaws. I hope raafaell will forgive my nit-picking. Bottom line: you won't regret giving your EVO a tune-up from Nitrous ROM.

Download | Forum thread

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

22 thoughts on “ROM Picks: Nitrous v1.3.1 for HTC EVO 4G

Thanks for the review!

• Does anyone know if this rom has the CarrierIQ spyware removed?

• does anyone know if this rom supports N wifi or is it only G?

Thanks for the review on this awesome rom. I agree with you in that most sense 1.0 stock based roms are some of the best to have on the OG Evo.

I’ve been flashing roms for a while now, and I’ve tried just about every rom on the EVO XDA forums there is to try; everything from AOSP’s to Sense 3.0 and 3.5’s. And while some of those are great and worth while, nothing quite compares to having a good stable rom base with everything working. And while Sense 3.5 roms are nice, I have found that more doesn’t always necessarily mean better. After a while it becomes more about stability, performance, and great battery life, and less about having the latest and greatest. And that’s why I like some of these Sense 1.0 roms. Which more or less follows the Cyanogenmod philosophy of developing highly optimized stable roms, rather than focusing to much on looks.

So when it comes to my OG Evo, for my time, energy, donation$, and recommendation, I’m sticking with these cool Sense 1.0 stock-based roms.

Some of which include: Nitrous, SOS (Swagged out Stock), and Classic.

Which in my opinion are some of the best roms out there.

• and does it include a hotspot hack?

• I like the look of this ROM (except for the battery symbol in the status bar)and it feels really nice and responsive. The flying window animations are cool, but I was pretty disappointed that it didn’t include any tweaks that are pretty standard, even for Sense 1.0 ROMs. Because of that I will probably stick the Classic.

• Supports WiFi-N. Does not include Wireless Hotspot. But you can flash it on if you please.

After having random reboots almost daily with Vaelpak after a while, I decided to switch to another ROM for a while. I tried several of the previously mentioned ROMS and was testing out Team Nocturnal, Redline, and Express. After having setup issues with each to include flashing them multiple times… I say this one posted yesterday. I decided to give it a go and WOW!! Love this ROM! Worked with Link2SD immediately, Wireless-N is working and there is a noticeable speed increase. My only grip is every so often when I exit an app … the HOME screen seems to be frozen (i.e. I can’t swipe left or right). Pushing the Home button unfreezes it… but other than that. It’s working fine. Nice work!

The freezing is probably because the Wireless-N kernel you’re using is probably conflicting with the v6 Supercharger script baked into the rom. Although the Wireless-N kernel is a good kernel, its extremely limited when it comes to performance tweaks. Unless you’re utilizing a Wireless-N network to upload and download heavy files, I don’t see the point of using that kernel. I would stick with the one the rom comes with, or try either Anthrax 004 or Lionfish stock or (less). I’m using the one it comes with, and the Wifi is fast enough. Just a suggestion.

• Ahhh… that might explain it. I have the ChopSuey kernel. So here’s a question, since I don’t really need Wireless-N, How can I revert to the kernel of this ROM? Is the kernel available to flash… or do I have to wipe everything and start all over?

The other thing I noticed now that a day has passed. My 3500mAh battery was charging over night. This morning within 15 minutes the battery drained down to 90% and all I did was check email and read new LifeHacker posts. So now I’m thinking ChopSuey is doing more harm than good.

But any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Make sure you calibrated your battery after flashing any ROM, so the rom will make a fresh batterystats.bin, thus will give accurately information about battery capacity and percentage.

• Best ROM as far as speed. Wow. It feels like an upgrade! So far, it has been really stable, too.

In regards to reverting back to the stock kernel the rom came with, I’d just wipe cache and delvik-cache, then re-flash Nitrous again rom over it, so that you don’t have to re-install all your apps and settings. Should boot just fine with original kernel. But only do this method when flashing the same exact rom.

Yeah, liking it after 1 day, and on the kernel that came with it. Have run CM7 (AOSP ROM), MikG, Vaelpak, Classic, Fresh, Shooter (Sense ROMS), and a couple of others before, and so far liking this best. It’s the little things that make a ROM likable to me, frankly I don’t see a huge system or 3G data transfer speed difference with any of them. This one just “feels” right, smooth as butter, and the flying window notification thingies are cool. Doesn’t have the system/rosie/other tweaks that some of the other ROM’s do, but a lot of that is worthless anyway.

(Gotta back up and give credit to TommyTomatoe’s Classic ROM, though. Doesn’t get as much glory as some of the other ROM’s and that’s a shame. Comes with an awesome Classic Updater, Classic Tweaks, and ZipThemer that I had never encountered before, with the updater giving the ability to download and install tons of mods either with ClockworkMod or Amon Ra recovery or the ZipThemer. My close second favorite, fast and stable ROM.)

Anyone getting FCs with the swipe away notification ?

Just flashed, did a reboot to make sure, still getting FCs

Otherwise, nice smooth ROM. And i agree with both above, I miss some tweaks that classic has, also I miss the volume setting and flashlight in quick settings. I’ll have to see if that can be modded.

The FCs were fixed with latest 1.4.4 update. Check it out. Real stable ROM

• The best ROM… can’t ask for anything else. My battery last longer than any phone.

• I know Nitrous runs very nice but, has any overclocking kernel come out or is Raafaell coming up with an update that includes it?

• Is there any way to mod this ROM to allow the ability to use the volume rocker to ‘wake’ the phone? I hate having to use the little power button to wake the phone. If there isn’t an easy fix I may have to re-vert to the Classic ROM, which I believe allows this feature.

I just downloaded the latest version of this ROM v1.6.3. It is by far my favorite ROM so far. I love that all of the green colored items are now a sleek blue color. Blue is a much cleaner and more up to date looking color. I think the battery icon and flying windows are nice as well. The SBC kernel should allow for a longer battery life as well. I have a 1700 MAH Anker battery in my EVO, so the SBC kernel should charge it up nicely. I think the EVO will only allow the battery to be charged up to 1500 MAH no matter what battery you have in the phone as that is the system setting. This would explain why people charging an extended battery ‘in’ the phone are experience battery drains immediately.

Either way Nitrous and Classic are my favorite ROMs as I like that the big ugly “phone” button has been minimized to the sleek bar at the bottom with the ‘ghost’ keys. It is a much snappier ROM than MikG and I am not a fan of the CM7 ROM as I feel the GPS and 4G work better with Sense based ROMS.