Good and EVO

What to expect from the HTC EVO’s likely successor

Htc-logoYesterday we reported on the HTC Jewel, a new device that's headed for Sprint and will likely be the third major HTC EVO device to hit the market, after the original EVO 4G and last year's EVO 3D. I should note that, so far, this device is just a rumor – but it's coming from a very reliable source at Pocket Now who has an established history of very accurate HTC leaks.

Having said that, many speculate that the HTC Jewel will essentially be a rebranded One X, which was just announced at Mobile World Congress. And here's what we know about the One X:

• Dimensions: 134.4 x 69.9 x 9.3 mm
  • Weight: 130g
  • 4.7-inch HD Super LCD2 capacitive touchscreen (720 x 1280)
  • Corning Gorilla Glass
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • Sense 4.0, with a new in-car experience and HTC Music Hub
  • 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-core processor (The 1.6 GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor is not compatible with LTE.)
  • GPU: ULP GeForce
  • HTC ImageSense (vastly improved camera software)
  • 1GB RAM
  • 32GB built-in storage
  • 25GB DropBox cloud storage
  • Beats Audio enabled for all apps
  • 8-megapixel (rear) camera with auto-focus and LED flash
  • 1.3-megapixel (front) camera
  • Non-removable 1800mAh battery
  • Bluetooth v3.0 w/ A2DP
  • NFC capable
  • MicroUSB
  • 3.5mm audio output

I can't emphasize enough: These specs describe the HTC One X, not necessarily the HTC Jewel or the next EVO. So while any or all of these might change once this device is released on Sprint, this should still give us somewhat of an idea of what to expect when that time comes.

In other words, there's still time for HTC to add a kickstand. Or maybe it will increase the battery capacity, or even make it removable. I'm fairly certain that Sprint will make some kind of change in order to make its version of this phone unique. So what else would you like to see, or what changes would you make?

[Android Central]

John F

53 thoughts on “What to expect from the HTC EVO’s likely successor

somehow i doubt that the device will only be 13.4 mm wide. that’s not much more than it is thick.

I love HTC, I love my EVO 4G and I am looking forward to the next generation. This phone would be exactly what I am looking for it they added Micro SD expansion and a removable battery. If these don’t change I will be looking to see what else is available from other manufacturers when I upgrade.

I would like to see the new HTC EVO X LTE have enough hardware and software space for the next updates coming out in the future. Much like the iPhone can get almost all the updates no matter how old but may not get all the features. HTC has been a brand that I have stuck with through the years. I have not seen much from any other brand to make the change. I can say that there are a lot of followers to the HTC brand. Now that they are no putting out so many phones such help make it easier to just buy it when it comes out instead of waiting a week to see a new phone out again. Lets hope that we can really remove the boatware and also have 3G and LTE in the phone. Without Sprint making us pay more for LTE.

I can upgrade as early as April and I’ve been thinking about moving to the Samsung Galaxy S II but with this possibly being a Summer 2012 release I’m torn now.

Yup, I agree. Removable battery and Micro SD expansion are a must. Might have to go the SIII route, but still have more time and info to unfold. Also, I was very excited to see a 4.3″ screen when the evo came out, seeing 4.6″ screens are kind of big, but still like them, 4.7-5.?, getting a bit ridiculous for pockets……

I could wait a little longer just to get the Tegra 3 with the battery management core. It is sad we have to downgrade to the Core 2 and lose that function. The non-removable flash doesn’t bother me TOO much, if it isn’t down-sized to 16GB like AT$T. I don’t like losing the kickstand either! All in all, if it has the original One X spec, I would be happy!

The GS2 is gonna be pretty old by then, and yet, it may not even be on ICS either. I’d go for the Galaxy Nexus a next gen Tegra 3 / Krait device.

I have to agree that the 4.3in screen is the perfect size. Any bigger makes it difficult to fit it in your pocket. I hope HTC sticks with the 4.3 for the next Evo, upping the resolution and sticking with the 16:9 configuration would be awesome. The 16:9 screen just fits better in the hand. A removable battery and expandable memory are a must. I hope HTC doesn’t go this route with the next successor.

• Anyone else bummed about the incompatibility of LTE with the Tegra 3? Admittedly with the specs we have, we have a great phone – but is this really the big step we were all expecting?

I really think that I would need a removable battery in my phone as well. The removable memory ain’t a big deal, like InTheRough said – just don’t cut it down to 16GB.

Finally, I’m gonna put a vote in for a kickstand too. Miss that thing so much on my EVO 3D!

You made a typo on the dimensions John, as mentioned above, and you’re mixing up specs between the Tegra 3 European version and the Krait/S4 AT&T version. The latter has an Adreno 205 GPU, not a Geforce which is obviously Nvidia’s custom GPU for Tegra. Also, the fact that Tegra 3 is incompatible with LTE is just a bad and wholly unconfirmed rumor that NV has already denied…

Qualcomm’s Krait is just better suited for LTE devices right now because it’s potentially more power efficient (being built on a 28nm process) and it’s available with an LTE radio already built in on the same process/die, which also vastly increases efficiency. The fact that it’s “only” a dual core is deceptive because it’s actually based on newer/faster A15 ARM cores rather than A9 cores like Tegra 3, so it actually ends up being faster in most tests except a few uncommon highly threaded scenarios that favor more cores.

The Adreno GPU on the One XL variant is actually based on the same GPU that’s on the EVO 3D, just clocked twice as fast since it’s built on a smaller process…. That keeps it competent, but there’s actually gonna be an S4 version with a newly designed Adreno 300 GPU eventually, which could be a possibility for the EVO version of the phone (altho unlikely unless it’s pushed to Fall).

Slow EVO news days mean you should proof read and get those details right man… ;) In all seriousness tho, I can (and have) lived without a kickstand, and I can probably survive without a micro SD slot. I mean, I rarely use it on the EVO 3D because of that blasted battery lid, tho I did upgrade from 16GB to 32GB at one point… However a non removable 1800mAh battery would be hard to swallow unless Krait is ridiculously efficient, we’ll have to wait and see.

If Sprint changes anything at all I hope it’s to add a beefier battery even at the cost of some thickness. Given what Moto achieved with the RAZR Max I do believe there’s room on the One for a 2500-3000mAh battery while still keeping it slightly thinner than an EVO 4G/3D. They made pretty efficient use of space already, it’s basically the same size as the Galaxy Nexus despite having just as large a screen + capacitive buttons below it (which frankly is a plus on my book).

• Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that Sprint and HTC will keep this phone at 4.3″. I wouldn’t mind a jump to 4.7″, but I agree with most people that 4.3″ is plenty.

No micro SD slot … Where’s the beef

It’s not a downgrade! Someone needs to post a big news article about this on G&E so these comments will stop.

Krait/S4 is based on newer A15 cores (x2) and built on a smaller and more efficient 28nm process, Tegra 3 is based on older A9 cores (x4) and on a less efficient 40nm process. Tegra 3 NEEDS that fifth low power core to keep efficiency up, altho it does power gate the cores (turns them completely on/off on cue) which also helps. Krait also has the LTE modem already built in which helps a ton with battery, and Krait has proven to be faster across most benchmarks.

You can find a Krait / S4 preview at http://www.anandtech.com

A) They’re not incompatible, just a bad rumor, Krait/S4 is just better suited for LTE right now as the radios are already built in.

B) Krait/S4 is a HUGE jump in performance (bigger than the jump from the EVO 4G to the 3D) avs it’s faster than Tegra 3 in most tests, on par at worst. See my posts above/below…

Here’s an analogy, Tegra 3 is like an Intel Core 2 Quad. An improvement over the Core 2 Duo and very fast for it’s time, sure. Krait/S4 is like a dual core i5 or i7 tho, a true next gen processor based on a new design, not just improvements to an existing design and additional cores.

That’s the CPU side of the story anyway, GPU side is a different beast… Both are an improvement on what we currently have but neither has a revolutionary GPU, yet. S4 will eventually be available with a re-designed GPU tho, not just a faster clocked one.

You should seriously post a blurb about Tegra 3 vs Krait/S4 and link to Anandtech’s Krait preview John, maybe people will stop falling for marketing and stop thinking S4 is a downgrade… Couldn’t be further from the truth. Significantly faster and more efficient next gen cores >>> more slower cores.

I like the new camera software that takes less than a second to load and you can shoot stills while recording video. I really like the new materials they are using for the build design. All in all I’m impressed nut I’m in love with stock ics on the g nexus so that will be my next phone.

I cannot agree enough. I have not been tethered to a charge cord for over 20 months now and really can’t see going back to that way of life. Non expandable memory is one step backwards to the technology stone age as well. The perfect device is out there just needs to be a company with the balls to produce the goods. As long as there are dollars in our pockets there will be no brainer features missing from our devices. Hey, slap a kick stand on it and no one will notice you can’t turn it on because I forgot the cord or there isn’t a place to plug in. Make it 32gb non expandable cause no one would ever use that much space nor ever have the need to swap out the card for a new class 20. Ridiculous limitations aren’t they? All I know my OG EVO came with a 8gb class2 and now has a near full 32gb class10, my wallet has 2 spare batteries at all times and my phone is never plugged in. Oh yeah, and I am happy. All the other tech specs upgrades are nice but for my upgrade dollar I think I am making myself pretty clear as to what are 2 must have features, for me of course This phone has the potential to be the coolest, most powerful, snappy, ICS laden, POS to ever lay plugged in laying on the counter.

A, Lol, what about the awesome 3D??? don’t tell me that was just a fad???

I agree with just about everyone else, no microSD and removable battery and I’ll get something else. Also I want a quad core and the BS about LTE not being compatible is just that, BS. I would rather wait another month for the LTE quad core tegra 3 which has just been released but will take a few months to being production which is good as the Sprint version won’t be out for a few months so I don’t see what the problem is?

OMG people, do some research, the dual core SoC on the One XL is actually faster in most tests than the quad core Tegra 3. It may be a dual core but it’s based on a completely revamped core design, whereas Tegra 3 is based around the same cores that Tegra 2 was (just more of them, plus the low power 5th core and some power gating tweaks).

The battery and microSD slot are points of contention for sure, but Krait/S4 is NOT A DOWNGRADE FROM TEGRA 3, it’s actually an UPGRADE in most cases (and a sidegrade at worst in a few scant scenarios where an app is really really optimized for multiple cores, which is quite rare).

Gotta disagree regarding the screen size.
    I’m pocketing a 4.52″ SE4GT for the past few months, and I hardly know it’s there.
    The thinness and lightness contribute to the comfortability and un-noticeability of the 4.52″ screen.
    I’m sure a 4.7″ screen would be fine.
    And btw, I don’t wear those Baggy clown pants ;)

Gotta have a removable battery and removable sd card.
    What, is android going the way of the iphone!?
    No battery, so they can come out with a $100 battery case to screw over their customers with??

I’ve been carrying an OEM spare battery for years, no matter which device I have.
    A case, especially like those bulky battery pack iphone cases, would cancel out the thin form factor of certain devices.
    Regarding screen size, I know iphone 4 owners who say their screed size is perfect, and any larger is not acceptable. They have a 4″ screen or some bs like that.
    They say that because they have no choice, just like Apple likes it
    Applebots, Applebots, Applebots, gimme a break…..

Oh, if apple got a 4+ ” screen like us, they’d say how wonderful it is, and so much better than their previous screen lol!

that decimal point is a tricky one.

No removable battery … Where’s the beef

I told ya Hesse is munching out with his lobster and caviar, with Cristal, on Our Dollars.
    Whaddya think that $10 Surcharge was for :(

The 134 is the Length ;)

• all I want is a kickstand and ability to root. oh wait my EVO 4G already has it. so, again, why do I upgrade??

Higher res screens that look sharper and allow you to better read zoomed out text or see more elements on screen at once, better battery life, LTE, better performance & ICS, significantly better camera, etc etc.

Even the EVO 3D’s slightly faster dual core and extra RAM make a ton of difference when switching between apps, compared to the EVO 4G… Krait/S4 is gonna be the bomb imo, hopefully the potential battery life savings w/integrated LTE pan out.

lol just bring it jabroni!!!!!! i’m waiting!!

Add removable battery, microSD slot (so the microUSB can be used as a hub!), and a kickstand, and it’d be pretty great. I’d love that new Nokia camera sensor to go with the new camera software, but I’m sure that’s not going to land in any non-Nokia phones.

I thought he was addicted to playing the lottery ,I phone , Nextel, wi max roll out, 6 city lte roll out and freeze ,clear wire, light squared ,almost buying metro pcs , does t-mobile, at&t, Verizon have blunders like our world famous three stoogers board at Sprint ( all these surcharges I want my money back its such a robbery job )

Who wants a phone u can’t take the battery out and no micro SD slot …lol I’m not a kid , I’m not placeing any info in any cloud

That’s exactly what I would want. The Tegra 3 would be nice too…

The 3d was a cool feature but there just wasn’t enough content available for it and in the end it took away from the look of the qhd screen. The evo line is about innovation and while the 3d didn’t do as well as they thought I still think it’s a cool feature that will resurface again when the time is right.

T-mobile is supposed to get a one variation running stock ics. Now that I’d buy in a heartbeat.

the dual core bit is a little sad. to be honest, im not even going to bother upgrading from my OG Evo unless it has a quad core processor. it’ll be the standard soon and theres really no point in adopting a dual core phone at this point (at least for me)

Frank L, you need to read the posts (above) by the other Frank. It’s not how many cores you have, it’s what you do with them, as the saying goes..

• I’d rather have the better power consumption and graphic performance (When factoring in display resolution) of Tegra 3 than just better CPU performance. I don’t care if Krait can run Sun Spider a little bit faster, but if it can run GTA III a little fast? That seems more worth it

He’s addicted to playing alright, I just can’t say with what, on a Family Channel ;)

removable battery, micro sd slot, kick stand, bluetooth hid and everything else that was specd out.

I just bought a 32GB micro sd for my evo 4g and using this card in my next phone will determine what phone i get.

• Too late I’ve already moved on to the Galaxy Note. Love it!

The non removable battery is a deal breaker for me I’m to use to running a Extended battery in my evo 04 g See through extended battery case bye trident Already have a 32 gigabyte sd card that is removable and replaceable I mean yeah it has a dual core processor now and more ram But how long is that battery gonna last I need something that’s gonna run all day under pretty heavy usage like 4 hours everyday on my phone And still have enough juice for when I get off work and decide to go out and stay out till 1 in the morning

The non removable battery has to be some type Ok deterrent to keep people from routing their phones And using apps like wifi tether If you’ve ever boot loop you know you have to pull the battery to fix it or wait until the battery completely dieds If you have a non removable battery you have to wait up to 24 hours for this to happen After having to do that a few times you would probably go right back to stock rom And I have a feeling that the cloud storage is another way for them just to gather information about you Since we busted them on the Information gathering software the wasn’t android Asus a few things for everyone up there to think about When buying this type of phone

• I also said I could do with the memory if it has 32 internal but I have to be able to swap out a battery and I want the kickstand back. My Asus Transformer Prime has a Tegra 3 quad core but I think someone above said this brand of dual core is just as fast a a quad core so I’ll take it. But if I can’t change out a battery I’ll probably keep my 3D. I have to many accessories and extra batteries anyway. Cases docks 5 extra batteries 3 cheap ones from ebay and 2 good red chichi ones. I have a car dock and a home dock. But will see when my upgrade comes up in June. I’ll decide when we know more.

• I could do with out the kickstand if I had too as long as Seidio makes a kickstand case like I have now for my 3D. But not being able to change your battery. I would hate that!

• The longer your phone sits plugged in, on the counter, charging the less likely you are to be using your unlimited data.

• Maybe someone will come up with a easy mod/ way to surgically remove and replace battery

• Why don’t the cell manufacturers poll users to find out what we want, and the greatest numbers win…

• Okay, I’ve always liked the hdmi out and would miss that feature of the evo. They can make a HTC as lickity split as they want but I got to have my stuff on the flat screen.