StreakSmartTips & Deals

Best-Buy
The Dell Streak 5 is going on two years old already. While it was certainly one of the coolest devices ever, tech changes very quickly and the littlest Streak just didn't keep up.

If you're ready for a change and bought your Streak from Best Buy with the outlet's insurance, you may be eligible for an upgrade. One of our forum members was lucky enough to bust the Streak that they had in their possession once again, and subsequently asked for a replacement from Best Buy. Only this time, Best Buy told them that there weren't any Streaks left; they'd have to opt for another device.

Long story short, this forum member traded the broken Streak 5 for a brand new Galaxy Note. I think that's pretty awesome, and it's a great way to upgrade to a device that's better supported.

If you can pull this off with your Best Buy store, head on over to our Galaxy Note forums and join in on the fun!

[Pocketables Forums]

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

18 thoughts on “Best Buy replacing Dell Streak 5 with Samsung Galaxy Note for insurance replacements?

• Oh. Come on….stop suggesting user to jump from dell….this site is for dell lovers….we agree thet streak is not supported well….but it was manufactured more perfect than note….if u really want to support note….plz go ahead and open a new site….not just promoting in this page…sorry if I’m rude :(

Sorry VJ, but while Calob is late to post this story on the front page, this is news to Streak owners. If you check the forums, you will see the Note mentioned several times.
    I Think the real “news” here is that Best Buy will upgrade your device if you opt in to their insurance policy. A very expensive policy with a Great replacement plan!
    I will be going to BB for my next device!
    While my Streak is still going strong, The Streak platform in the USA is almost done. In less than a year I expect there will be no new posts here or new threads in the forum.
    Enjoy your device while it is still Great, but don’t deny the march of technology.
    Peace

Wow, this is extremely timely, as my Streak has started to lock up regularly in the past couple of days. Random program crashes, sometimes no phone audio, etc. a whole litany of problems. I love my Streak, but that Note is the next big thing (literally).

• I’ve known this for a while, I’m just concerned with the possible fraud that might cause BB to change that policy.

I have 2 Streaks that for all purposes are in perfect condition, but 1 had been replaced by BB 3 times due to broken screens. Nothing is forever and I’m looking forward to getting a Note the next time I get one replaced… assuming they don’t change that policy. Of course, I don’t know how many Streaks are out there and of those how many have the BB insurance…

• The forum member must have been extremely lucky? My Streak’s screen recently shattered and I took it in to Geek Squad as I have done several times before. In a couple of days they had another Streak ready for me to pick up.

• I just dropped mine off today. They mentioned the possibility that there might not be Streaks available, but made no reference to the Note. I’ll check back in when I get whatever I get.

I saw a Streak in the drawer at BB 2 weeks ago, so there are still some around.
    Good Luck
    Peace

• Yes please do, and @JRDemaskus sucks that they have 2 still there. I doubt there are any at my best buy, I got mine replaced 4 months ago and it had to be sent in from Dell.

• Okay, so I got my replacement today, and it was…drum roll please…a refurbished Dell streak. No Galaxy Note for me. Oh well, I was pretty skeptical to begin with. Maybe it depends on what region you’re in or something. I’m in Oklahoma, so take that for what it’s worth. Good luck to anyone else who needs a replacement.

• That is HILARIUS! I dropped my Streak just on Monday afternoon for what seems to be the 50th time (Otterboxes are the best) and oddly enough it ruined the screen. Took it into BB but the sales associate told me that if there we no more Streaks to replace it then that would fall under their “Lemon Policy” and I would then get the retail value of my phone as a credit to purchase another phone. (Definitely wanting the Note) Its been 3 days now and I haven’t heard a word about it yet, but I am going to have to re-read my policy from when I got it to make sure.

If we determine, in our sole discretion that your product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes.

• Now it is kind of concerning about what the current market value of a 2 year old phone would be… Reasonably, it would seem to be around $200. Ultimately, it would be up to the service or store manager to make that call.

• They gave me $500 for mine.

They presented options for a white streak, some trashy little phone, or to wait for repairs. I said the right combination of words, and got the right person in the right mood. They took the streak, gave me the retail purchase price out of contract for when I bought it, and applied that amount to the current retail purchase price out of contract for the note.

Say hello to a note for $250, and I can go buy another one for the same or less in July when my contract can be upgraded.

I got offered the same thing because the computer wasnt working properly. But then I had to go to work. I returned to best buy the next day and the computer was working all of a sudden so they found a replacement. I think its all on the best buy you go to.. and I should’ve used a better choice of words :/ @bcass What state are you in?

• In western NY state, kinda close to Buffalo.

You might end up with my old streak, because apparently, they send them in and fix the screens to use so they don’t constantly eat used phones for people like me.

@Bcass I think there is like 1MILLION white streaks. I originally bought a white one and that’s all I keep getting after 3 replacements. Hopefully I can get the 500. It’s been a week and a half and no response, I will check on it Thursday.

• Cracked well streak screen bestbuy just called for me to pick up my note lol