Good and EVO

First Sense 4.0 ROMs available for rooted HTC EVO 3D (GSM and CDMA)

S4xbanner
As Android addicts, we're always looking into the future and wanting the latest updates. As HTC EVO fans, that means we've been looking closely at the latest versions of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) and HTC Sense.

We broke down what to expect from Sense 4.0, got our first taste of the new software in HTC OneX RUU leaks, and then saw the official unveiling at MWC. And, now, it appears we have the HTC Jewel (possibly the next EVO) running Sense 4.0 in the not-too-distant future.

This is all fine and dandy, but I have an HTC EVO 3D! I fully expect that HTC will give me an official update to Ice Cream Sandwich and Sense 4.0, but I don't like waiting. Unfortunately, I've been bummed because when the HTC OneX RUU leaked, developers thought it would be hard to port to the EVO 3D.

Luckily, they were wrong. To see Sense 4.0 and Android 4.0.3 running on GSM and CDMA EVO 3Ds, keep reading.

Virtuous S4X Build3 for the GSM HTC EVO 3D

The Virtuous X-Series is a series of GSM HTC EVO 3D and HTC Sensation ROMs by Team Virtuous that:

. . . are not feature complete, are test builds that may or may not receive any future updates. [Team Virtuous] generally would not recommend these builds for people that rely on there phone 100% of the time, they may, assuming you can live with bugs or missing features be suitable for daily use.

The warnings may scare you, but these ROMs appear to performing pretty well.

Screenshots and YouTube Videos

This is the HTC Sensation, but this is the best video I could find for this ROM.

1 2
3 4

Here's the goods:

• Based on the leaked Endeavor (HTC OneX) test ROM (0.96.401.2).
  • Resized for qHD (960×540) displays, using a purpose built tool to modify HTC's proprietary m10 binaries.
  • Heavily optimized for fluid performance and usability.
  • Overclocked kernels with numerous additional kernel modules.
  • Bloatware and unnecessary applications removed.

Bugs can be found at the bug tracker here.

Remember, even though it is really cool to see a sneak peek of the future, not everything works. If you need your EVO 3D to work 100% of the time, G&E does not recommend this ROM for you. But I think we can all admit that it is really freakin' cool.

Download | Forum thread | Blog

Endeavor 3D for CDMA HTC EVO 3D (Sprint)

The Endeavor 3D is a CDMA HTC EVO 3D ROM by TMartin released because he thought we "all might want a taste of the future."

This ROM is based off of the aforementioned Virtuous X-Series ROM, which means it is generally a step behind its big brother. However, it does appear to be running snappily, though of course there are some bugs that keep it from being a daily driver.

Here's the goods:

• It boots!!!! Note: First boot takes a little while . . . especially after you first unlock to get to setup
  • Android 4.0.3
  • Sense 4.0
  • Working sound
  • SD Card works
  • USB works for ADB
  • Mount SD to PC isn't working
  • No Data, Bluetooth, or WiFi
  • It's actually pretty quick

G&E is so thankful for devs like these that bring the future to our EVOs. If you are feeling adventurous, be sure to check this ROM out and let us know how it goes.

Download | Forum thread

Sam Sarsten

Sam Sarsten is a former contributing editor at Good and EVO, which was merged with Pocketables in 2012.

15 thoughts on “First Sense 4.0 ROMs available for rooted HTC EVO 3D (GSM and CDMA)

• Yay, another fucking report about another alpha rom that features ics for htc evo 3d!

Oh wait, I don’t give a shit and I’d rather hear about how there’s an ics rom for the evo 3d that isn’t an alpha or maybe that htc is going to release the update soon.

But nah let’s keep rolling with the million of alpha ics reports like someone becomes jesus himself when they manage to boot something.

whoa, someone needs to get laid.

• So I do the factory Reset then flash the rom and when I go to reboot the phone it doesn’t go past the HTC screen. Can anyone help me?

• I was sold until the no wi-fi or data. What’s the point in flashing a rom that won’t let you connect a smartphone to the web??????

Wow, how about you try making a “completely functioning” ICS rom before you start spouting off about something that you cannot do yourself. All these roms are ports from leaks for other devices. They were not intended to run on our phones to begin with so obviously there are going to be allot of hurdles to overcome before these roms are out of the alpha stage.

Use the forum thread link. You should find your answer there. If your hboot is 1.5 I would suggest reading up on flashing with 1.5 if you don’t know how before asking this question. Sounds like you are on 1.5 and the kernel isn’t being flash. This will cause you to get stuck at the htc screen or bootloop.

• My thoughts exactly Dro3d I was just about to Nandroid as I was reading until I hit that part… Man I was ready to try a new ICS Rom but yeah, I’ll wait.

• You do realize this is THE FIRST Sense 4.0 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 ROM for the HTC EVO 3D, right?

This is what our EVOs will actually be running in the future. My guess would be that we don’t see this ROM officially until after the HTC One series is released (in April?).

So, I for one (and I think a lot of people would agree), am very happy that this is out and am shocked that it is working as well as it is.

Thanks for your input though ;)

• They seem to be working hard on those features. I don’t think it will be too long before they have those up and running (hopefully).

• Actually, no current devices will be getting Sense 4.0, but Sense 3.6 instead. The only phones that will actually be running Sense 4.0 are the newer devices that haven’t been released yet.

• How come HTC never sends out updates for Sense? For example, GO Launcher EX has so many features that HTC could of added to Sense 3.0 through updates like easy use of folders and editing of folders. Yes, there are apps that add that functionality, but it would be easier if it was just embedded into the Sense UI. Just wondering.

• I’m curious as to WHY THE HECK THEY TOOK OUT THE CAROUSEL FUNCTION IN THE HOMES SCREENS.

• Stopped reading after your third word. Wow.

• Adding functionality is so easy by downloading an app that it can hardly be any easier and great apps are often free too. I don’t think I use any Sense in my 3D. Every time I read about a Sense ROM I wonder why people that root their phones even want Sense. I wasn’t even using it in my unrooted 4G. GO Launcher EX is an awesome app. Download it and enjoy the many features. The only thing I need HTC for is to produce a great phone. Then stay out of my way and let me set it up with the features I need and desire. But if their next phone has an inaccessible battery and no SD card I won’t be using HTC to produce my next phone.

• Get GO Launcher EX. The 3/8″ high dock at the bottom of your home screens will give you spots for your 15 favorite apps. Above that you’ll have 3 1/4″ for widgets and shortcuts.

It also allows you to create as many home screens as you need. Make each one a full-screen widget and you have your carousel with a big advantage: not just an icon to start an app but the app running and showing you what it’s doing right away.