Good and EVO

Taken this morning, had over 3500 scores before but native screenshot was not working. RassafrassaChad Goodman, author of the Anthrax series of kernels, dropped in last night to let us know his new kernel is out that now fully supports the Ponury Gesture Mod aka Slide 2 Wake. That, however, is actually one of the less impressive features of his new release.

For those who dig Quadrant scores, my InfectedROM install went from averaging right at 3000 to 3500, probably due to the 2.17 base. It's pretty snappy when it comes down to it.

Chad's Anthrax kernels come in a couple of flavors: 1) the fully open-source versions, also known as the XDA/public versions, do not contain Beats kernel support (due to it being closed-source) and 2) the closed-source Qualcomm/HTC Beats versions. Both versions work 100% with 2.17-based ROMs (and older bases, it seems) and include a working camera.

There's a features list a half mile long, but the ighlights are Beats, undervolting, overclocking, ZSL, plenty of CPU governers, and USB host mode. Basically if you need a kernel to do it, this one does it.

To get Chad's private kernels, you'll need to sign up for an account at InfectedROM.com, and then agree that you're not going to sue, re-host the kernel, or claim it ate your cat in this thread. User names and passwords for the download site change regularly, so don't bother writing it down.

I'm not entirely sure why so many steps are required to get the private kernel with Beats/Qualcomm, but after reading some of the XDA drama, I'm guessing that it was buried in that. And trust me, it's worth the extra steps required.

Paul E King

19 thoughts on “New CDMA EVO 3D Anthrax kernel fully works on 2.17 base, supports Beats and Slide 2 Wake

• Now if he only added all those features to the EVO4G kernel I’d be an extremely happy camper.

Try the MeanRom V2.7 and you’ll constantly see the Quadrant scores hitting 3500+!!

Now, i just hope, I get to see some stable ICS Rom’s.

• I’m on meantime 2.6 and i have gooten to the 4000+ Mark and battery is grate

• Will this work for toast cm9

Mean Time rom is great. JK ;)

mean 2.7 and chads anthrax rSL58 stable kernel is the isssshhhh!!! doesnt get any better than that!!

• I will have to agree with everyone about mean rom. I already had great battery life with stock kernel, but I’m going to try Anthrax later today. I admit I used to flash all the ICS beta roms (and loved them) but I had an emergency one day and my phone was screwed so it’s wasn’t taking calls. Ever since that day I wanted something stable and fast and picked mean rom. Haven’t turned back since.

• My next review is going to be meanrom most likely… got a bit sidetracked by a project last week and have not had a chance to flash it.

I’ve had 2 lockups with Infected Eternity, both I am pretty sure I can pin on a game or the extreme heat produced by the game…

• Really? Infected has been nothing but perfect for me but who knows how this kernel will perform in the long run.

• infected locked up twice, both while the phone was playing the same game. Phone’s temp was also really high. Bet is it was more than a coding issue

• I have been running MeanROM these last few weeks and love the speed and stability. I just loaded the Anthrax v2.6.38 kernel and I am getting a quadrant score of 3655 compared to my 2700 score prior to the kernel update. (HBoot 1.5 HTC method).

Screen Shot here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26206534/2012-03-22_10-23-32.jpg

• Which kernal is it? Is in the private beta folder?

• 2.17-RLS61-stable-032212_0200.zip

Shooter CDMA folder – layout changed since I wrote this piece…

also a new one that goes faster was just released…

• I got it lol.. a tad bit slow today

• Thanks for the info already flashed!!

• My phone was up and running for about 14 hours today (extended battery). I was running kernel RLS61 and got about 3 random reboots. The speed is fast though!

• Anyone try the USB host mode (which more than likely requires a USB OTG cable, and possibly drivers in ROM) or figure out the necessary camera apk for ZSL? (zero shutter lag) I’d really like to figure either out… Guess I oughta go hunting thru his kernel message boards.