FeaturesGood and EVO

Poll results: How much data do you use on your HTC EVO?

Data-usage-poll

Early last week, I asked you how much data you typically use each month on Sprint with your HTC EVO. I was curious to find out how important unlimited data really is: does the typical G&E reader use that much more data than users on AT&T or Verizon, who have hard caps at 2GB and get charged for overages, or those users who are on T-Mobile and suffer from throttling after a certain point?

I didn't really know what to expect, but as it turns out, G&E readers are all over the place. About a third of poll respondents said that their data usage was under 2GB, about a third said usage was between 2-5GB, and the last third said they routinely go over 5GB.

Perhaps not unsurprisingly, the smallest group of respondents said that they are usually under 500MB per month (8.57%), while the next smallest group said that they typically use more than 10GB (14.43%).

And of course, these results could be skewed any number of ways. Someone who argues for data caps that would hopefully improve data speeds across Sprint's network might say: "Over two-thirds (68.5%) of people said they never go above 5GB, so that seems like a reasonable cap to me!" Someone else might counterargue, "31.5% use more than 5GB, and Sprint can't afford to tick off almost a third of its users!"

Of course, this poll doesn't really represent all Sprint users, but rather just those who took the time to respond to the poll. So what do you think of these results?

John F

18 thoughts on “Poll results: How much data do you use on your HTC EVO?

• Since using Google Music more, my data amts have doubled. Shrug.
    Ty Sprint for unlimited.
    *for now.

• audiogalaxy for me, but same idea…lot more data being pushed. also more recently wordsmith and draw something…i am sure my data will jump even more… :)

• anyone know of a good video streamer from my home pc like that of google music or audiogalaxy but for video?

I don’t pay attention to how much data I use. This is why I want an unlimited plan so that I don’t have to ever worry about it.

Amen to NicksGarage. I could probably find a data limit I could live with, but my primary satisfaction is in not ever having to worry about at all.

• Data? You can get data on your EVO?

With Sprint!?!?

Must be nice.

• Amen to that. I’ve made the switch to Verizon on one of my lines and I’ve used more data in a week compared to a month of Sprint’s network and that’s just the simple fact that i can connect to a strong 3g and lte network. Unlimited is useless if you can’t connect.

If you want to do the things ALL of the wireless companies show in their advertisements such as streaming music or watching TV… you can’t do it (very much) with the limits in place now. They are simply too low for a large proportion of users.

I guess an 8GB or 10GB cap would be OK with an inexpensive option to buy per GB but there needs to be a truth in advertising law passed that prevents any company that doesn’t provide unlimited data AT THE SPEED ADVERTISED, to not use the word unlimited in their advertisement.

• This poll is useful as long as you hold in mind the “selection bias” implied.

By visiting goodandevo.net you are basically saying you care about the Evo and possibly Sprint. By responding to the poll, you are saying you care enough about the *topic* of unlimited data to even click a button.

You also may not even be aware of how much you actually use. Or you are well aware of how much you use yet may not choose to give a truthful representation. Either way your response may be biased in the direction of how much you *want* to say you use. You may be motivated to boast about your usage by over-representing, or you may be trying to promote lower pricing by under-representing.

Sprint’s actual customer base is in fact filled with people who don’t match any of these descriptions.

Again, this is a very interesting poll, and the results should be pondered. But it’s not quite science.

• i dont like pie charts with the very similar colors, just saying a different chart with different colors would have presented the visual aid a lot better.

Well, the survey did ask us to look at our recent bills and answer. I did and came up with an answer. I didn’t “guess” or skew my answer.

You might want to try Plex. I love it! Streams all my movies from my pc to my phone and it has a beautiful UI.

• Yeah, This pie chart is pretty poorly done.

• I got my over-use of the “unlimited” data letter from Sprint this weekend. Then again, I was using it as my home internet via 4g and rooted hotspot. If I was home, I was on Netflix. That’s all I did. Theoretically, hotspot via root isn’t copacetic, yet with the evo’s hdmi, I could have been doing this all via my phone anyway. I just used hotspot to do it via my pc instead. With that being said, I nabbed between 40 and 100gb a month. So, yeah, it was nice while it lasted. Time for an ISP, I guess!

• Yes, please don’t do that. It could (will) cause Sprint to come down hard on hacked and rooted phones. Sheesh! Common sense and all.

• common sense, though, says if i’m doing things i could be doing unrooted, then who cares? Obviously Sprint does, but…hey, common sense. I surf the net and I watch netflix. Boring life, but, hey, i work a lot and relax how i want, haha. All of that I could do SOLELY on my phone. Maybe I will…

• If you were unrooted, you couldn’t hotspot share your data and if you did pay that extra $30, you would have a data limit (5GB I think?). So no, you couldn’t do what you described without a hacked hotspot and rooting. You could watch some TV on the phone screen but Sprint, you, and I know that nobody can watch that much TV on a 4 1/4″ screen.

• Ok, let me say what i’ve already said one more time. I hotspot (admittedly, several times) and that where the issue is. If i weren’t hotspotting (yes, i made it a verb), I could STILL surf the web and use netflix via this magical thing called an HDMI (one of the main selling points of the HTC evo 4g). So, theoretically, I could have done everything i’ve been doing directly through my phone…right?