Good and EVO

Could the HTC EVO 4G LTE be released on May 18? [Updated]

Evo-4g-lte-gallery1

You can safely take this with a fairly large grain of salt, but according to the latest rumor surrounding the HTC EVO 4G LTE, the device could hit store shelves as early as Friday, May 18 – much earlier than the June 6 date that was thrown around earlier.

A May 18 release date would break the mold that Sprint has set of releasing devices on Sundays. However, Sprint has made exceptions in the past for notable phones; for example, the original EVO 4G was also released on a Friday.

Additionally, HTC has said that the EVO 4G LTE can basically be considered a rebranded (and somewhat redesigned) HTC One X, which is set to hit AT&T on May 6. The HTC One S is also coming to T-Mobile on April 25, so HTC might want Sprint to release the device a bit earlier in the year than previous EVOs.

In any case, preoders are all set to begin on May 7, and that's definitely not a rumor.

[PhoneDog]

Update 4/23: This rumor has supposedly been corroborated by another source inside Sprint, although it's still just a rumor at this point. (Thanks, John!)

John F

28 thoughts on “Could the HTC EVO 4G LTE be released on May 18? [Updated]

• No Comments on this? I sure would love for this to be true. Can’t wait for this phone.

• Why would I get this on launch date if it will basically be a 3G phone?

• How True!!! Found someone with Sense!

My Evo 3D has only seen 4G a total of 2 times since I bought it on release day. Unfortunately allot of Evo owners fall into this category. The lack of LTE coverage wont stop sales of this phone. People will buy it purely because of the specs. I know if I had an upgrade I would definitely buy this phone.

• The Evo 3D was released on a Friday. I don’t remember if it was online sales, or in stores, but Friday and Sundays are certainly the days Sprint focuses on.

• Isn’t that a Jewish holiday …

• Nope! People are too busy complaining about Sprint in other comment threads… :-p

Ill be buying this the day it comes out. And that would be smart for sprint to release this on a friday most people get paid on Fridays. Lol I know ill be getting my paycheck and going to upgrade my 3d for this. Hopefully these rumors are true. So excited. June would be a long stretch to wait after a April forth announcement. Bring it on sprint! U mother f##$ers!!

• I don’t care what day of the week it’s released, but May doesnt benefit me any. This will be my third Evo. However, with the previous two being released in June, my upgrade isn’t available until June. Why mess that up?

• Did you upgrade to buy the EVO 3D or buy it off-contract? If you got it OC, your contract should already be ready for an upgrade from the OG.

• I upgraded. I’m still lucky enough to get my upgrades every year, which makes me eligible again on June 1st.

• I need a new phone but I enjoy using 4G at home when my internet goes out. I wonder how long until they have LTE in LA.

• That would be my only reason not to get it on release day… Losing the crappy winmax ( although it works in my parking garage where I stream movies) and my rooted phone.

Does anyone know if new evo 4g lte will still be able to pick up 4g wimax signal?

• No. Wimax will be discontinued. It sucks anyways lol

• Awww, I hope Sprint gets me one for my birthday. I’ve been nice to them and haven’t called them on their BS for at least a week now.

Do you have WiMax where you live? Do you have a WiMax phone? If so, you might want to hold on to your current phone.

If you aren’t in a WiMax area, what do you have to lose by upgrading?

Non-premiere customers who bought the EVO 4G on contract are eligible to upgrade right now. For Sprint, the sooner the better.

I hope Sprint give me one for your birthday, as I have never been mean to them. :)

• Your calling Sprint u might as well step in the ring with the wwf because they will have u like the exorcist part 1

e just got wind that Sprint will be increasing the TEP (Total Equipment Protection) fee for LTE devices over $549 starting June 16. The current cost of $8 monthly will be increased to $11, and we fully expect gnashing of teeth and online petitions against this travesty. Welcome to the Internet.

But could the June 16 date mean anything else? There’s another Sprint LTE phone we’re waiting to get greasy with (the HTC EVO 4G LTE of course), and so far all we know about rollout dates is “mid-year”. Maybe the date is nothing more than a date, but maybe we’ll see the E4GLTE or some switch-flipping by the LTE team, or both. It never hurts to hope, right?

Figures since I will be on a camping trip that day.

They should of just announced the release date when they announced the phone. All this waiting and he said she said sh*t sucks.

Who cares when this phone comes. I’m sure alot of us having already made planes to purchase, either on a plan or out of contract. Will you not purchase cause you don’t like the date of the release? I know for sure it’s coming since my printing company is already printing store signs for Sprint. Be patient. Or go buy a Nexus. Oh, those are out of stock already. Guess, you’re going to have to wait.

I have a Nexus S 4g and I live in NYC which is a WiMAx area. Let me tell you that the network is dogshit and you should thank your lucky stars that you dont have WiMAx. It makes the phone run SO warm that its borderline uncomfortable. It CONSTANTLY drops the 4G connection and does not reconnect automatically. I literally have to go into the settings and turn 4G off than on again to get it to reconnect. It doesnt work in buildings either. It doesnt reconnect automatically i resurface from going underground on a subway. I could care less if it doesnt have 4G!!!!

I just can’t decide if I would benefit from the new phone. I mean, I like the specs and all….just no LTE in Cleveland,OH area. Had got my EVO 4g w/ the hope that 4g was going to SOMEDAY work. Have used my 4g three times. I like having the newest and greatest phone..but think I may stick w/ Evo for a while longer…until the Evo One shows me I NEED it.