Good and EVO

First press shot appears of HTC EVO One [Updated]

Evo-one-press-shot

What you're looking at above is the first press shot that's been leaked of the HTC EVO One, sitting between the HTC One X for AT&T and the One S for T-Mobile. This device is expected to be announced tomorrow, April 4, at a joint event being held by Sprint and HTC.

While we don't have an official spec sheet yet, the EVO One is thought to be quite similar to the One X – in essense, a Sprint- and EVO-branded One X – but with a few enhancements. Among these are the return of the ever-popular kickstand, the inclusion of a micro-SD card slot, and a larger battery: 2650mAh, instead of the standard 1800mAh battery that's included in all other versions of the phone.

This is, of course, in addition to a 4.7-inch HD screen, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 (Krait) processor, 16GB internal memory, Android 4.0 with 4.0 sense, 8MP back camera with 2MP front-facing camera, 4G LTE, and Beats by Dre audio, among other features.

The most current information we've got also indicates a June 6 release date. But hopefully, this will all become official on Thursday.

Update: As pointed out in the comments, if you look closely at the bottom right of the EVO One, it looks like there might be a dedicated camera button. Seriously, this phone just keeps getting more awesome, doesn't it?

[Pocket Now]

John F

50 thoughts on “First press shot appears of HTC EVO One [Updated]

• Tomorrow is the 4th, not Thursday. But I can’t wait for it either way.

• No problem. I didn’t want the coverage to be missed tomorrow. I for one will be keeping an eye out for the official announcement. If this phone is as great as the rumors claim, I know this will be my next phone. I might even have to start working on a way to scheme and get it before my December upgrade date. Might have to be a very squeaky wheel with customer service this summer.

• Wonder if it will have any red in it like the OG EVO. Can’t wait for tomorrow afternoon

• Don’t you worry… we will definitely not miss this announcement!

• I was officially eligible for my upgrade on 3/1 but I’m waiting for this. My contract actually ends on 6/4 so the timing of this release is perfect. So glad I resisted that urge to get the Galaxy S II yesterday.

• “Beats by Dre” is a steaming pile of audio crap. Why manufacturers insist on adding it and paying the licensing for it…when it only makes your audio sound awful is beyond me.

• Honestly the seamless screen and casing on the One x and s is more attractive. The specs will be the selling point, but the rounded screen edges and contoured design of the other phones is better looking. I also with it was white like the one x…

• Agreed I don’t see the benefit of beats at all I’ve been using it on my 3d with mean rom and anthrax for a week now its pretty lame!

• why did they change the design, I don’t like it, the new Htc one x has the glass molded around the ends, so the bezel doesn’t come in contact with you face, as no to retain dirt and oil, the one on Sprint seems to have the same bezel just like the HTC evo 3d, which blows because it retains dirt and oil a lot causing for the phone to be cleaned often damaging the bezel….As you notice on the picture you cannot see the side bezel on the At&t version face on, but you can see the one on Sprint clearly, why did they change the build that’s blows…

• I agree. They seemed to have wanted to keep the styling closer to the original EVO, but I’m preferring the look of the AT&T and T-Mobile versions. It won’t stop me from getting it though.

• I don’t think HTC is paying any extra to include Beats, as they own a majority stake in the company. Also, the EVO 3D doesn’t really have the right audio drivers for a true “Beats experience” (whatever that is), so even though ROMs can contain the right software for it, it’s my understanding that it’s not quite the same as native support.

• Ooh, good catch from an Engadget commenter! Look at the lower right of the phone, it might have a dedicated camera button.

Removable battery or not?

On paper the rumored specs for Samsung Galaxy S3 are looking pretty good. Looks like I have a decision to make soon.

• I thought (and possibly I’m wrong) that the private anthrax kernel as well as the OLD public kernel that got chad.goodman in some hot water had this full Beats by Dre capability. Either way I am currently using the private version of that kernel and with Beats enabled it does sound far better than the stock, even with my crappy $18 earbuds, nothing to write home about but still worth having.

Above anything else though it’s marketing, it’s music on your phone, yes it sounds better (to me) but it’s not world changing. But being able to put the brand’s name on it will sell more. Alot like when they thought 3D would sell more, I didn’t buy my EVO 3D because it had 3D. I bout it for the 1.2ghz dual core, the extra ram, higher resolution screen, aswell as many other enhancements. The 3D was not something I cared about, it’s neat for about a month or so and with groups of people to show off to. Hopefully the Beats by Dre does better than the 3D marketing tool did, 3D sounded too gimicky and I think is the major reason the EVO 3D couldn’t seem to sell well with it’s awesome specs.

• The AT&T version is that going to carry the S4 krait? or the Tegra 3 just like original one x? In any case I cant wait for Tomorrow hopefully get a real spec sheet and some hands on vids!

• If you look at the review of the one x on engadget.com you’ll see there is a red ring around the lens and red the inner parts. :D

• Hmmmm is tomorrow considered “E” Day?

• Well, great phone… but, I’m still rocking my rooted, battery life optimized EVO 4G that is able to do anything I throw at it. Problem is I’ve had 4G in Portland since June 2010 and wondering how I will go back to 3G only if I buy this phone.

Since portland was first market with 4G that ain’t happening again with LTE. I was spoiled that’s for sure especially tethering for my home internet access… ugh decision decisions. When are all major markets expected to have LTE? late 2013? The next phone will be out by then.

• I can’t wait till they announce this tomorrow. I’m due for upgrade in June perfect timing. I had thew OG EVO and loved it. I only got the 3D for faster processor more space and new sense. I didn’t care about the 3D but I sold my OG EVO and Sprint gave me a one time courtesy credit so I basically got the 3D for free. I love HTC and EVO’s and Sense and will get this phone on launch day.

In hindsight, Sprint/HTC should have used a “2” in the name of the EVO Design 4G.

EVO 4G
    EVO 3D
    EVO 2Design2 4G TWO
    EVO One

I know, I’m lame.

• I want one!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!

• I can’t wait!!! If that spec sheet is offical, I WILL go back to Sprint!!!!

• why is everybody dissing on beats? lol i’ve actually heard parts of songs i’ve never heard with it off. it’s crazy how it reveals hidden stuff. it’s not just a bass booster (even though it does do that)

• I am confused why aren’t people upset that its not quad core?

• So dre can get rich.
    All name recognition, nothing to do with Quality.
    But the phone does look sweet, But it will take excellent review to get me away from my E4GT. and then the Galaxy S3 is coming out.
    Tough call, but Samsung does mak’m sweet.
    Plus I dont have to pay a dr dre tariff ;)
    Wonder if there will be a beats or dre name tag on it.
    That’ll ll be a real deal breaker.
    But again, the device looks nice.

• I seriously doubt this big battery will be replaceable. In order to keep it relatively thin and that size of battery they have to mold it to the insides of the phone and make it very integrated. I will be surprised if it is removable.

I will have a lot less problem with it not being removable if the battery is in fact as big as they say. If it lasts two days then lessens the need to swap batteries although there are still obviously other reasons for it.

• All the US versions of this phone will use the Krait. Good choice too….it beats the Tegra in most every benchmark test AND improves the battery life.

• I enjoy my evo and look forward to another. However do you guys know when info regarding possible Samsung galaxy s3 would be released? I was pretty impressed with my friends who got one last year and seems like awesome phone. I would assume this years model would be as well. I’m on sprint obviously and have had my evo since launch day. She’s a little beat up so I’m looking forward to replacement w a bad ass evo. I just hope its the phone to beat? Any knowledge about the two would be appreciated.

• Because the dual core Snapdragon Krait beats the Tegra in almost every benchmark test…better/more advanced architecture than the Tegra.

The other advantage with the Krait is that it uses even less battery than the Tegra due to better efficiencies.

Win win.

• Earl I felt the same as you…..however the only quad available right now is the nvidia part. You don’t want NVIDIA in your phone beleive me. (Nvidia gpu for pc is another story) Later this year Qualcomm will release their quad. That’s the one.

Any idea if face unlock will be added?

• Why does the Sprint version of the phone screen looked washed out?
    God, do I hope this phone 4.7 inches, I want a bigger phone, my Evo has started to feel too small to me.

• I really hope that is a dedicated camera button, that is feature that surprisingly hasn’t been mentioned previously.

• Hey Paul any idea about what to expect from Samsung.? I’m just curious if that info will be available before either one is released. I love my evo and imndure this next one but am just curious how they may end up stacking up and what to possibly expect. Known pros and cons for either developer. Thanks again for any info.

• I like how it looks so far. Impressive specs. Just watched some more rated youtube of this phone. Nice i have o.g. eve since june 2010. Cant wait until Sept when my upgrade is available. I live in Las Vegas,N.V. wr have so so 4g. If i purchased this phone i cant recieve 4g until lte is up and running?

• Nah, sorry Man, only Samsung I follow is the Samsung Galaxy Tabs original through 10.1, and I only follow what’s out as occasionally I work for home-based care providers doing strange and unusual things to them so that nurses can’t rack up $500 in charges to them. Home care places are not really looking at the cusp of technology, but the tablets that will do the job / are on sale from the providers (generally Verizon dumping them by the truckload).

I’m also pretty EVO-centric in hardware (unless you want to count my Nook and the occasional Samsung loaner tablet for health care prep)

Sorry, would love to direct you to someone with the answers, but I don’t know where has the best info / insight on Samsung – I’ll check tomorrow, if I can find something I’ll let you know. All I can find right now are a bunch of rumors, fake sites, and more rumors.

• My guess is the person who slapped the pic together was colorblind, based on it looking fine to a colorblind guy.

Or it could be the screen is a little bigger allowing for less squishing…

but most likely photoshop by a color blind guy

Honestly, I expected this phone to look as good as if not BETTER than the One X or One S because Sprint has been coming up in the world. I was looking forward to getting the original design :-( This thing is UG-ly…as hell! Really!?!? Way to flop on design whoever signed off on this mess.

While I’m disappointed in how this brand’s appearance (One’s and Evo’s for that matter) took a turn for the worse, it’s not enough to make me pass on this sweet phone, ugh…still excited :-)

My sentiments exactly!

• Justin you are right after hearing what you had to say I did some research and found excatly what you were talking about. I see Nvidia just decided to add more cores but in real world test it did nothing for speed issues. The Snapdragon processor was able to get benchmarks of 4962 with only 2 cores while the Nvidia 4 cores only came in at about 4000. So thanks.

The rom pic looks alot like the new sosx rom for the evo 4 g

• Shame they couldn’t put the damned camera button up where you could use it as a PTT button — clearly this is still a popular use for phones, as the continuing progression of PTT apps proves.

Check the latest leaked pics. Loos like there is a button where a camera button should be