Good and EVO

Sprint 4G LTE is now live in Waco, TX

Waco-lte-map

According to information obtained by S4GRU, a site dedicated to covering Sprint's rollout of Network Vision and 4G LTE, Sprint LTE is now live in Waco, TX, even though the HTC EVO 4G LTE isn't out yet.

According to speed tests pulled from Ericsson field test reports, speeds have peaked at over 20Mbps in Waco, which is part of the Austin market. Sprint hopes to start on the rest of the Austin market in June.

This is, of course, in addition to the four official markets that Sprint has already announced (Atlanta, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston), as well as "unofficial" LTE markets that are also expected to go live very soon (San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston). Furthermore, New York and Los Angeles are expected to be complete before the end of 2012, with the rest of the nationwide rollout largely done by the end of 2013.

In short, the HTC EVO 4G LTE can't get here quick enough!

[S4GRU]

John F

35 thoughts on “Sprint 4G LTE is now live in Waco, TX

• I dont get it with SPRINT.. Why do you guys concentrate on building LTE’s on cities that dont really need it that much. Put it on the cities that have the majority of your customers that uses it!!!! arrghh!!! COMMON SENSE!

• It is because larger cities need more bandwidth and more backhaul than smaller places. This is because most of their customers live in giant cities that have populations of 2 million+. You need to have these cities up and running so that when the network slows down over time because of the big cities, people in smaller cities won’t be surprised with slower speeds when they receive LTE.

• What are the average mbps on other carriers , 20 mbps ,isn’t it supposed to be much higher ,I went to check all the data info that’s, out on pre existing wimax and cmda towers lol, do I need to climb the tower to get 1 mbps in the day time in the day time in Atlanta I’m just saying :)

• Tower zoneing ,pre existing infrastructure with towers , user growth capacity

• Galaxy Nexus was released yesterday, there ARE phones that can use the network.

Come on sprint. There is like ten people that live there. What are you doing? lol.

• Really Waco, Tx……How about Phoenix,Az……nuff said

• Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper are both already out. Might be a third, budget LTE phone that came out too.

• I don’t believe at all that they will stick to the existing rollout schedule given the 4G history and their financial problems. I’ll believe it when I see it!

Guess I’m never gonna see 4g on my EVO 3D in West Virginia… Thanks for nuttin’ Sprint…

• Sprint has the fastest lte network in america ,based on current speed test and recent results,….. “winning in waco”

• Move just a few dozen miles south, you’ll have a larger metropolitan area that currently enjoys the Wimax coverage. Austin loves you sprint, show us some love back!

• People always bring up Sprints 4G history, but they fail to mention that its actually Clearwires history, not Sprints. Sprint is rolling it out on their own this time, so theyll have much more control over the schedule.

• I worked for Sprint for 9 years doing software deployments alongside the hardware rollouts. Sprint has a great track record of hitting their target dates and finishing rollouts early. John is right, WiMax was not Sprints rollout; if it had been it would have actually been completed and on time.

• Apparently it got messed up when I replied to the comment by email… sorry about that!

• I bet reports of unofficial LTE rollouts are gonna pop up like crazy when the Nexus and EVO LTE really start selling… At least I hope so! Break or make time Sprint, get ‘er done.

DUDE ATLANTA LTE IS ON RIGHT NOW !

DUDE ATLANTA LTE IS ON RIGHT NOW !!!

• Come on! Philly/South Jersey PLEASE!!!. 4G WIMAX was here first, why not LTE.

They need to flip the switch here in Houston . I have the new galaxy nexus and I’m pulling horrible 3g speeds. I know that’s a network issue ans not the phone, but I’m ready for it!Bring it on sprint!!

• Pete, Philly was NOT the first 4G Market. Clear provides Sprint with their 4G Wimax (Sprint owns 51% of Clear) service and it first launched in Portland Oregon. Sprint first offered 4G Wimax on their own handsets in Baltimore in 2008. Philly came in the second tier of cities added.

Well I know Mississippi wont be getting any LTE anytime soon. Sprint there are EVO owers in Mississippi

Really Waco? What are they going to do with LTE? “This just in! you can now update facebook about cows spinning in the pasture at 10 X’s the normal speed!”

Yee Haaaw!

Shut up. I’m in Waco with plans to get the Evo 4G LTE. Makes sense to me that you’d ease Ito it with a couple smaller cities first to make sure the bugs are ironed out. Call it a beta test.

• Almost 150 K people including data hungry college students. Don’t be jealous

• Well, personally, I just got the Galaxy nexus here in North Dallas. But, seeing as I have been using my EVO 4G for my home internet I am debating about sending the Nexus back. Without the LTE service, I would be without internet. SO, question is…I have 13 days left to return it. I am guessing that there will be no LTE service by then??? Also, is there any way to see if I am getting an LTE signal on the Galaxy Nexus without having to have it activated?? (How sad is it that I got it in the mail today and have not activated it yet because I need the internet too badly at home.)

• LTE in tha ‘Co, bitches!

• Yeah. So… The 4G LTE towers have been “lit up” in Houston since Jan 2012, don’t get too excited. Sprint continues to do two things with their LTE network.

1. Talk it up at conferences and to the press
    2. Delay it’s delivery (mid 2012 my ass)

Hate this company. They don’t deliver. Let’s see their CDMA 3G networks sucks in Texas. WiMax is blah. What makes anyone think they can deliver a LTE network that can even be in the ballpark of Verizon.

• Try 224,000 people in the greater Waco area, and on a major business route, the I35 coverage is a major deal. I think this was a good move, they are now one of the two LTE solutions in Waco in the last 6 months.

This speed test was done while in Waco (LTE active, but Evo 4G LTE did NOT switch to LTE)
    McDonald’s – note that 4g did not show up
    Test Date: Jul 21, 2012 12:18:33 pm
    Connection Type: EvdoA
    Server: Temple, TX
    Download: 1478 kbps
    Upload: 457 kbps
    Ping: 185 ms
    IP addresses removed
    Latitude: 31.54962
    Longitude: -97.12459
    A detailed image for this result can be found here: