Good and EVO

HTC EVO 4G LTE appears to have cleared US Customs [Updated]

Us-customsYesterday, HTC announced that some of its products have now been cleared for entry into the United States after successfully passing a US Customs review. This comes after news that the release of the HTC EVO 4G LTE would be delayed due to a customs review, and that new shipments of the HTC One X on AT&T were also temporarily stopped.

While the EVO 4G LTE was not mentioned by name in this report, we are still fairly confident that it will be available soon, perhaps on the previously-announced and subsequently-retracted May 23 released date. However, until Sprint makes an official announcement, we cannot be certain.

HTC successfully dodged Apple's claim of copyright infringement by changing the functionality of links that appear in text messages or emails, and creating a new App associations menu in the settings. Keep checking back for updates on the new release date once more information is known.

Update: HTC just released the following statement to some media outlets:

Each imported HTC model must be reviewed by Customs and will be released once Customs officials have completed the inspection. Some models have gone through inspection and been released to our carrier customers. We don't have the status of each specific device model at this time, but we are working closely with Customs. We remain confident that this issue will be resolved soon.

[Tai Pei Times via Inside Sprint Now | Android Central] Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

John F

25 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE appears to have cleared US Customs [Updated]

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!! APPLE IS JUST PLAIN ROTTEN TO THE CORE!!!!

• So what’s the consensus? Stick with my 3D since it’s getting ICS and 3.6 and still has WiMAX available (where I live) and not pay $200 and restart my Sprint contract before knowing when Austin will get LTE.
    or
    Get the EVo LTE with all its upgrades(screen and the camera being the most important to me)and pay now and take a chance on Sprints upgrade plans but benefit from the better hardware now.

I have 1 more yearly upgrade left. So the next phone I get will have to last me 2 years.

• Or maybe refurbished HTC Hero’s have cleared Customs :|

Who the heck knows.

shane, ICS on my 3D with 4g sounds really tempting to keep. However, for whatever reason (and i must be outta my mind)I have faith that Sprint will launch its LTE within next couple of months. I live in Jersey which has 4g wimax. Phone potential to good to pass up. Even though i love my evo 3d I will be getting this phone when it comes out. I hope my gamble pays off. Sprint is doing some good things or well enough to keep me as a customer. If you don’t live in an LTE or wimax area don’t do it but that’s just me.

• This is good news but I just want to see that my phone has been shipped and will arrive shortly.

• So Best Buy is going to have it before Sprint? What a joke.

• Wait…. by the time your present contract expires, there will have been 3 or 4 upgrades. That’s how the game works. we are teased into thinking we have to jump out of a contract to get the better phone. its a racket. Stick with your plan. Patience will get you the better phone.

• The thing is going to be obsolete by the time it finally makes it to consumers.

• I called my Best Buy today and they didn’t have a clue. He said if the phones do get released today it could be up to 2 weeks before they get there’s in. I pre ordered through them to save 50 bucks but if Sprint gets there’s 1st I may have to go there if they have one available. I sold my 3D last night and I need a phone soon.

• What is the release date from Best Buy? Is it back on to the 23rd again?

• “Each imported HTC model must be reviewed by Customs”
    So does this mean that every phone has to opened, turned on, and played with by a customs official to check the software? I guess we’re all getting “used” phones now. Thanks apple.

• Now that I think about it, I hope that just means each model as in evo lte, one x, and amaze. It would probably take forever to check each individual phone. Still, I wouldnt put it past them.

• I’m in Austin too, and they will likely have LTE before the end of June. Waco already has it…WACO ALREADY HAS 4G LTE…and they are part of the “Austin Market”. This rollout is different than the WiMax 4G was because Sprint is doing it, not Clear. So, you can always wait for a new device, and anytime you get one, there will be something out in 6 months or less with better specs…I think the Evo 4G LTE is a solid enough machine that it will hold off some of the obselescence a bit longer. And it’s well built, so you make the call.

• There are worse problem to have, lol. I’m in Detroit, and have one wimax tower that i have used once for about 10 minutes. Surprise surprise, we aren’t on any LTE list i have seen.

• HTC evo lte release date month August or September the ugly truth

• It’s called ugly “opinion.” You have no sources or anything to back up your nonsense. Stop trolling.

Keep the 3d until lte is in your market. The’ll be giving the new phone away in 3 months or less

I think he is a iphone user!!! Trying to kill the hope we have.

• I understand that everybody’s upset with HTC, and/or Apple, and/or the US Customs department, however nagging and bitching isn’t really going to solve anything. Cut HTC and Sprint a bit of slack, I’m sure they’re doing all they can to get this phone out to consumers as soon as possible.

• true, they did say it is has not been confirmed what was actualy released. oh man what a mess

• Yea!
    I was going to wait online for days, even weeks, to be the 1st customer to purchase an Evo 4G LTE in-store in my area.
    Now, at least that wait will be shorter. Only a few days.
    Yea!

• So now there shipping but Best Buy knows nothing. I need to know when BB is getting there’s for pre-order people.