FeaturesGood and EVO

HTC EVO 4G LTE arrives at G&E: Ask us anything!

Evo-4g-lte-box

Even though my personal preorder at Best Buy is still backordered, our friends at HTC wanted to make sure that we could get our hands on the HTC EVO 4G LTE as soon as possible. It arrived on my doorstep this morning and is ready to be unboxed and powered on.

Because I know most of you are dying to get your hands on this yourselves, I want to share my excitement with you. Also, I know that many of you have questions about the device, ranging from its outer appearance to what's running on the inside, and everything else in between. So please, take this opportunity to ask me anything about the EVO 4G LTE!

Later today and over the weekend, I'll gather up some of the best questions and answer them in future posts. The only thing you should know before you ask your question is that I'm only qualified to compare the phone to the EVO 4G, EVO 3D, or the HTC One Series (the One S and One X), so don't ask me how it compares to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus or the iPhone 4S.

Leave your questions in the comments below, post on our Facebook Timeline, or send us a tweet. Then come back over the next few days to see my answers.

John F

88 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE arrives at G&E: Ask us anything!

Can you put all three Evos next to each other to compare screen sizes.

• How are indoor photos?

• Is the screen recessed around the edges, or does it have a uniform smoothness that the OG EVO had.

• Can you please check to see if a 64gb microSD card will work in the device? (I feel weird calling it a phone…) Either with the native formatting or by reformatting it in the Evo? A lot of other threads and forums have said that reformatting a 64gb card in a a device said to only work with up to 32gb cards have worked. Also, there has been some concern that even doing it this way the card will start to act funny if >32gb of stuff is on it. So, if you happen to have a 64gb card, and >32gb of stuff, i’d love a test run. Thanks!

• Can I get a lte signal in murrieta California? lol never mind…

• When the OG EVO came out we had to turn off a number of features to increase battery life (Thanks to goodandevo.net :-) such as WiFi notification.

Could you please see if we are going to have to do this or other wierdness with the EVO 4G LTE?

I’ve ordered mine from Best Buy in Austin (we have no LTE yet but we have WiMax)

Thanks!

• I would like to see a few pictures taken by the phone and how does the LCD display look?

I’m just concerned about battery life as I use GPS a lot.

• How about the stock memory allocations. The exact! numbers please.
    Example:
    9.96GB Storage
    etc.

• Can you compare the external speaker to the 4G and 3D?

• What’s the LTE battery life like?
    What are the physical ports, and where all are they located? I’m concerned about being able to charge it while it’s sitting on the kickstand.
    What does it do when running a pre-ICS app that requires the menu button?

• Ask your anything? Ok. Can I have the phone once you have completed your review?

• I second the questions about the battery. I’m rocking the 3500mAh on my OG EVO so battery is super important to me. Will this device survive without an extendo lifer?

• No swype preinstalled. HTC feels that their keyboard’s trace function is awesome enough!

The port is on the left side of the phone (when holding it upright), but the kickstand allows you to use it in 3 different axes… so you will be able to charge it while in Portrait, and in Landscape.

• you can ask – doesn’t mean they have to do what you ask…

OR

I’m sure they’ll be happy to exchange it for $600 from you :)

• That’s better even if you still prefer Swype. Switching to a ROM that didn’t include it let me get it direct from Swype and upgrade as new versions came out. You don’t want to be stuck with an unupgradable preinstalled version. The new version is much better than what came with my OG EVO.

• Swype is listed in the getting started and User’s guide

• Does the handset have Bluetooth 4.0?

• Great news that your getting an early look. I think that’s fantastic way to support the EVO Community… with in hand knowledge rather than idle speculation.. so 3 cheers for HTC/Sprint.

Questions: Will it roam to Verizon for LTE service?
    What Class of SD card does it support
    Any tests to see how fast it is in 3G mode vs. other EVOs
    Did you fall in love again?

• How does the keyboard compare to the 3D? Both the swype and the original?

how is the battery life without 4G? I’m curious because i want to upgrade my OG evo but not if the battery life is worse.

• Does it grant you three wishes?

• 1244 LTE Blvd
    Austin tx 78704

• I heard it has Bluetooth 4.0 and that you charge it anyway it’s spring loaded. Landscape,Portrait and the other way to charge and stand it at the same time. I want to know about battery life that is my main concern.

This is no big deal but I was at a website and it talked about ICS and Sense 4.0. I have ICS on my transformer prime but it showed on this sense 4.0 site a picture of where like you can add a folder and name it lets says games and then put your games in there and it showed the top 4 apps on the home screen like a square with 4 icons on it. That reminds me of this app I had on my OG EVO Multicon. But what I want to know is can you access your favorite 4 apps without opening that folder. Can you click on one of the icons on your main screen where it shows the folder plus 4 icons and each one will open. Thanks! Hope that wasn’t too confusing.

• Phone calls – What’s the standard call (i.e. no HD Voice) audio quality like? Speakerphone quality? Cell reception? I’ve been pretty pleased with all of the above on the OG EVO 4G so comparisons to it are fine.

Ringtones – Can it play MIDI files as ringtones? I know that sounds super antiquated but I’ve been using a unique ringtone for about 10 years and I don’t want to change.

Camera – Can you turn off the camera/camcorder shutter sound, or will we have to wait for root? Is it possible to add date/time stamps to photos? That’s one feature I liked about the OG EVO stock ROM that was apparently removed in later versions of Sense (MikG with Sense 2.1/3.0 doesn’t have it).

• Slightly painful seeing a photo of it in your actual hands. It’s the only device I hope to buy this year.

I’d love to hear about the screen in lots of lighting conditions like direct sun and fluorescent glare and how well the automatic screen brightness works in those conditions.

I second the question on the external speaker.

Does Sense 4.0 do the same cool things like auto speaker when phone goes face down during a call? Were any of those features lost? are there new ones?

Do the non-root tethering apps like pdanet or easytether still work? Using LTE?

How smooth are the high end FPS, like NOVA or combat?

Thanks!

• Ooo…I second this question! I desparately wished that the 3D would be louder than it is.

• Can it make burritos!

• Bloatware? I know it’s there…how bad is it?

• Look at reviews about the AT&T One X battery life and you’ll find your answer. Only difference is that the EVO LTE has a bigger battery which means more batt life.

• Sense retains all those cool tweaks (that no one ever seems to talk about), they’re listed on the manual.

• Does the camera lens recessed at all? Or is it flush and going to crack/break just like my EVO4G? I mean the lens that actually matters.

Most pics look like the housing stands out but that it is protecting a recessed lens that the camera actually needs.

And are we able to turn off LTE via widget or something?

• Extremely important for me to know being that it has an integrated battery … HOW IS THE BATTERY LIFE? … And will it have htc media link?

• Why not convert the MIDI to MP3 with Audacity? It’s gonna sound the same…

• Tests I’d be interest in: install battery monitor widget, report drain over 5 minutes sitting – we can calculate battery life.
    Play Angry birds for 5 minutes, give us the mAh drain.

Run through the unlock at htcdev, see if you’re able to before day one. Assuming yes.

The paper photo test – take a piece of blank paper out, take a shot of it in the sunlight, post it uncompressed somewhere. Object is to see how much the picture breaks down.

• Does the phone cone with an sd card? If so, what size? None of the info I have read says anything about it.

• How is the rate of web data and text loading compared to the OG Evo? Is it truly faster with the new processor? How is the music listening experience (I loved using my EVO as my music player for the long ride to my jobs). Finally, how can I be as cool as you to be able to get a device WAY before its launch date, LOL.

• Is the speaker as loud as the original EVO’s? That phone had an epic speaker…

I’ve heard conflicting reports on two things, hopefully you can clarify… Does it mount as a USB mass storage device or does it use MTP despite the divided internal partitions? I thought I’d read the One X uses standard USB mass storage, someone mentioned the EVO uses MTP, I’d be surprised if it’s true…

Can you jump into the camera by pressing the shutter button? The manual states you can do so even from the lock screen after waking the phone with the power button), even with a password set, and that if you exit the camera THEN it asks for the pw… However someone said the button does nothing at lock screen.

• bummer… Their original plan (from previews) was to exclude swype.

• I don’t care if it grants him three wishes… I just want it to love me and call me it’s one and only!… and maybe vibrate a little while deep in my pocket… Is that weird?

• Please compare the sense 3.0 vs sense 4.0. Compare battery life after 24hrs use. Let us know how ice cream sandwich is on that device. I look foward to coming back here.

• I have a 64GB card in my Evo 3D, I had to format it in the device. It also works in all of the other devices I have tried it in that claim to only support 32GB.

• Great news. Have you put more that 32gb of files on it? Other threads said certain phones would randomly have read/write errors in these cases. Thanks.

• Battery Life ‘after’ 24 hrs. use?
    Not many phones can last 24 hours with phone and data usage, especially with a built in, non removable 1900mAh?? battery (I forgot what the Evo 4G LTE device has.)
    Unless the processor is that good regarding battery efficiency.
    Regarding the battery, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has a 2100mAh Removeable battery.
    I’m hoping the Sprint variant also keeps this 2100mAh Removeable battery.
    I’ll also be awaiting real world reviews on both devices, before purchase.

• i stilll have my old evo 4G but i would like to know if this would be the best upgrade or should i wait for the Galaxy S3 if hits sprints store .?? i like the evo but the S3 look really good ?

• HTC Evo 4G LTE non removable battery is 2000mAh.

• Big deal breaker for me, how is the screen outdoors? Is it as pitiful as the 3D?

• And by that I mean, is it Bluetooth Smart or Smart Ready?

• I purchased the Samsung Epic 4G Touch which has been really nice. A nice upgrade from my previous device, which was the HTC Evo 4G, which was fantastic.
    I am awaiting the Samsung Galaxy S3, which has a 2100mAh Removeable battery, upgraded from the 1800mAh battery on the Epic 4G Touch.
    The Sprint variant of the Galaxy S3 most likely will have the same battery specs, which will be very welcomed.
    I’m awaiting real world reviews on the Evo 4G LTE and the Galaxy S3 Sprint variant, as well as the specs of the S3 Sprint variant, before purchasing either of them.
    No rush here.

• “Also how are you going to migrate your installed apps from whichever EVO you have to the EVO 4G LTE?”

Great question. Will a Nandroid backup/restore work on a nonrooted phone?

• The 16GB internal storage is MTP but the SD card can be used as a USB Mass Storage. If you’re a windows user you won’t really notice any issues using MTP…it’s a Microsoft product.

• I’ve tried that, actually didn’t like it as much as the plain MIDI file.

• The lens is recessed. Most of the review/unboxing vids I’ve seen have pointed this out.

I’m sure the LTE widget will just be the “4G” widget that has been present on all EVO branded devices.

• ANSWERS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This shows that G&E is a premier site for HTC. G&E has done a great job over the past couple of years to establish itself and HTC acknowledges this effort by sending you the phone. Also it is a great publicity stunt by HTC.

Is the LTE even activated? Can you use it on Sprint’s network? Take it down to your local Sprint store and see if they will hook you up!

• I think there’s an app for that….

• I second this question and can you remove the apps too?

• is the dedicated camera 2 stage or 1

• 2:00 talking about the box. Really?

• If you google htc evo 4g lte review the first page has a few other mini reviews (slashGEAR, pcmag,phonearena, etc) can’t remember which ones, but sprint has made one app for sprint related info/apps and there are a few HTC specific apps, but the bloatware is very minimal compared to the OG Evo. (No NOVA, didn’t see NASCAR either)

• In the unboxing video on good and evo, he turns the box around and you can see a list of what’s in the box. I did not see any listing for a memory card(though it was a quick look)I have a 16 in my OG Evo and I purchased a 32Gb from Amazon 3 weeks ago for 22$, anticipating my purchase of the Evo LTE.

Is the bootloader unlocked? Furthermore is their an option to unlock it if not?

• I used to sell cell phones for about 3 years. Around the time AT&T was Cingular and Nextel was in talks of merging with Sprint. Anyway, I probably had 7 phones in those 3 years, just because I always wanted the next big thing. I got my first android 3 years ago (Hero) and then got the OG Evo November of 2010. It is the first phone that I have kept for 2 years or didn’t sell to buy a new phone off contract. I love android and I love EVOs. I paid $45 to get early upgrade eligibility for the Evo LTE (Ok, i didnt have the OG Evo 2 years yet, but you get my point)!!

Hows the battery life on just 3G sending an occasional text and browsing the web. Or how is it with moderate use.

• Maybe I missed the boat on this one, but wasn’t part of the draw of ICS that we’d be rid of those pesky capacitive buttons and that it would all be handled on-screen…? Why are there still buttons???

• I just read that the Evo 4G LTE is just a 3G phone right now, until Sprint builds out the LTE Network :(
    I didn’t realize this, until you posted the question.
    I get 4G right now with my Epic 4G Touch, and I ain’t gonna get this device or the Galaxy S3 (most likely will also just be a 3G device until the LTE network is built out,) cause I’m not gonna give up 4G while waiting for LTE. We all know how that, uh, WiMax thing panned out for most customers.
    Anyway, I’m in no rush.
    If I wasn’t getting 4G right now, I wouldn’t be concerned, but since I’m getting 4G, having a 3G only device is an issue for now.

• You can’t restore a nandroid on a phone without a custom recovery, and you can’t restore a nandroid on a different phone entirely, unless you seriously want to mess things up…

• Is your question whether or not it will open 4 apps at the same time with one click?

• I stay in Atlanta a Sprint lte market ,the LTE has not been turned on and they Sprint do not know when they will turn it on I travel daily to other Sprint 4g Wimax service areas I’m not getting this phone until the service is on and buzzing all over the place why up grade to a phone we can’t use yet ,your evo 4g is doing a good job why fire the goose that has laid the golden egg ,their will be more phones and up grades to the base ,let’s wait it out they (Sprint) want you to jump and buy but why ,why get a phone just because the whole thing stinks but must people are so gulable ,3g in Atlanta is running at an all time sucky number and 4g reception is reduced to blink and crawl you’d have to be Thor to get reception ,why am I paying an xtra 10.00 a month per phone, why am i thinking about getting another phone when the lte network is not built up ,and not even turned on ,why aren’t these new phones on display yet ,why come at&t had their devices out and running 2 weeks befor sales kicked off ,why do we have to ask all these questions ,why aren’t the phones out for sale on the floor their in the inventory on stock but not brought foward ,now for the final why ? Why are the so cheap 199.00ct/599.00nct the highly touted evo 4g lte that’s not lte but 3G dear people I’ve been at sprint since they bought out MCI ,you have fell for another franchise gimmic !!! You see the bait and hook ,you looked at the bait and hook and you swallowed the bait and hook the decoy is shinny and it shimmers and in your weakness to be great and abound with all the answers and knowledge you swallowed unknown what you eating and paying for but with hopes its sweet in your belly ,but its a sour deal that you will eat like a lemonhead

• Exactly.
    Read my link below.
    To get an LTE device, and give up the use of 4G (if you currently get it,) and wait until LTE gets online, makes absolutely no sense to me.
    3G is pretty slow @ around 1 Mbps, if you’re lucky, while 4G is 5-9 Mbps download.
    And on top of this, Sprint is supposed to get the 800mhz system online after the 1900mhz system.
    What in the world is Sprint thinking?
    Hopefully, customers will see the forest through the trees, and hold off purchasing an LTE device, if it is not to their advantage to purchase one.
    Read the link below.

• I gotta say I am bummed out.
    I was most likely going to purchase the S3, But it makes absolutely no sense to do so I till LTE is up and running in multiple, not isolated regions.
    I was concentrating too much on the battery and other stuff, and not on the Network. Specifically 4G and LTE.
    I started to do some research, and as I said, I’m a little bummed out realizing I’ll be waiting longer than I thought regarding purchasing an LTE device.
    But my Epic 4G Touch has been very good to me, and we’ll be together a while longer, and that’s ok.
    I hope others start concentrating on the Network availability, before they get a Big Surprise, after they realize 4G Now, No 4G after purchasing their new LTE devices, and no LTE until Sprint has that up and running, and not just in a minimal of regions.
    And than their 1900mhz device won’t work on the 800mhz system.
    Oh my, quite the Conundrum.
    And what is Sprint thinking??
    This is really kinda Ass Backwards, regarding this Rollout of Devices and Network when you think about it.
    Sprint should have really made the LTE devices backwards, or rather forwards compatible to with the Wimax network, if that was even doable.

• How does the sound quality through a Bluetooth headset compare to all previous HTC devices. I’m referring to stereo headsets listening to music. Every HTC device that I have ever touched the Bluetooth audio has distortion when the volume is high. I only notice it with Bluetooth. I am hopeful that Beats audio drivers have fixed this.

• By the time 800mhz LTE rolls out, it will be time for a new EVO, anyway! :-p

• I hear ya lol!
    I’ll be happy just to see Sprint roll out the 800mhz LTE in a timely fashion.
    Hopefully that won’t be as illusive as Wimax or the Abominable Snowman :(

• Correction:
    The 1900mhz LTE

• Can this phone apply a date/stamp on photos?