FeaturesGood and EVO

Your questions about the HTC EVO 4G LTE answered: Part 4

Evo-4g-lte-front-2Since I picked up the HTC EVO 4G LTE last Friday, I've been answering all kinds of reader questions about all aspects of the device, and I've been having a lot of fun doing so! (Be sure to check out Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 of the series, in case you've missed anything.)

There are more questions and answers below, so take a moment to check them out as you get yourself hyped up for what's bound to be a very exciting weekend, in which EVO-less spouses, partners, and significant others are bound to feel very neglected.

Marc: When the OG EVO came out we had to turn off a number of features to increase battery life, such as WiFi notifications. Could you please see if we are going to have to do this or other wierdness with the EVO 4G LTE?

Adam B.: How is the battery life without 4G? I'm curious because I want to upgrade my OG EVO, but not if the battery life is worse.

Tom: John, after a day or two of you playing with it, heavy use, please report the battery life you got.

Dan: I second the questions about the battery. I'm rocking the 3500mAh on my OG EVO, so battery is super important to me. Will this device survive without an extended battery?

John: Questions keep on pouring in about the battery life. I already gave you my initial impressions after a day of use, but after four days of use I can honestly say that the battery rocks. You will still need to charge it every night, but it's more than enough to get you through the day.

Last night, after 15 hours and 46 minutes, my phone still had 25% of its charge left. This was with 4G turned off and with average usage: about an hour of phone calls, an hour of streaming music from Google Play Music, around 25 texts sent and received, and with WiFi on only half of the time. I also used Google Reader throughout the day to check various news feeds, browsed the internet for a total of about an hour using Chrome Beta, and updated and downloaded some apps from the Google Play Store, along with a few other miscellaneous tasks.

The average user will definitely be able to get through an entire day, and then some. Heavy gamers or video/music streamers might not have as much success, although I have heard whispers of integrated battery cases on the horizon.

Evo-4g-lte-battery-life

Brandon: I'm a little confused by the phone storage shots; they seem to suggest that you only get 2GB of space for apps, and the other 10 gigs is for storage of media. I'm a bit disappointed if 2GB is all I get for apps.

John: That's a great question, and I'm happy to clarify. I actually just addressed it last night in the video walkthrough, but it's worth revisiting here, too. Apps are automatically installed to "internal storage" (that's the 2GB you were talking about), while around 10GB of "phone storage" is set aside for anything else you want to put on the phone. However, it's really easy to move apps over to phone storage: just go to Settings > Apps > On phone storage. You'll see a list of apps that you can move to phone storage, if you want, freeing up more space in your internal storage. It works exactly the same way as moving apps to your SD card.

Evo-4g-lte-app-storage

BDevo: Any idea if this will come out soon in white?

John: Sprint and HTC haven't announced anything, but it's likely that this device will follow in the footsteps of the OG EVO 4G and EVO 3D, so I'd expect something later this summer.

Adebayo A.: Do you have ocassional screen redraws? Some of the One Xs had that problem.

John: No, I haven't experienced that on either my EVO 4G LTE or my HTC One X. For the most part, it's been smooth sailing on both devices.

Keith: One thing that I am really curious about is, did HTC include Face Unlock? If so, is it the one they filed a patent for or the original Google Face Unlock?

John: Yes, Face Unlock is included, and it's the same one that's included on all Android 4.0 devices. I actually find it really useful, and you can expect a more in-depth review of the feature in a future article.

Frank: Can you jump into the camera by pressing the shutter button? The manual states you can do so from the lock screen, even with a password set. However, someone else said the button does nothing at lock screen.

John: Right now, the shutter button does nothing at the lock screen. However, if you have the camera set as one of your shortcuts, you can jump directly to it without entering your password; you'll have to enter your password to do anything other than take photos, though.

Just keep in mind that this is pre-release software, and I'm expecting a launch-day OTA update (or one perhaps even earlier), so there's still time to fix any shutter-button weirdness that you might have read about.

John F

52 thoughts on “Your questions about the HTC EVO 4G LTE answered: Part 4

• can you get an average mAh draw using battery monitor / screen off / cell on / 4g off? (should take 3-5 minutes)

Interested to know the cell draw

• How much screen-on time did you get during your 15+ hour battery test? I think that’s a good indicator since display is such a huge consumer of battery.

• Bluetooth keyboard/mouse support?

• I am curious, with the partitioning of the phone storage being 2gb for apps and 10gb for additional storage, which you can move the apps over to, does the phone give an option still to move apps to the sd card as well, or can you only move them to the 10gb partition?

WTF!!! IS IT FRIDAY YET!????? IM SO SICK OF READING ABOUT IT I JUST WANT IT NOW!!!

• Does “Face Unlock” replace “The Ring” ?

• or can they be used in Tandem?

• Does the phone come with a micro-SD card or are we going to have to buy one? I can’t believe I forgot to ask that! :-)

• John – I posted a question about the phone speaker on pt 3. Can you answer it? I watched your video review, but you didn’t play or access the speaker…

• Does the dual mics help with video? Has been one thing I’ve always been a little disappointed with. Sure we can shoot 1080 or 720 but does the audio suck. Especially for any kind of live music? I have a Kodak zi8 and it’s no bigger then my OG evo4g and the built in mic tech is amazing. So I know it’s possible with devices of these sizes.
    Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any info.

• SECONDED!! That’s important to know… allows me to stack that to my E3D

• Another fantastic question!! I really wanted to know this too.

• Yes – more detailed battery tests are coming in a future post, so stay tuned.

Blurry contact photos?

• Can you talk a bit on how the photo album is integrated with social media? I have a ton of picasa albums in addition to the photos on my phone. Does it put all of the picassa photos together in one giant “picasa” album, or are the photos kept synced up to their specific albums, mirroring the albums in picasa? Thanks

• Does not come with Micro-SD card but the Micro-SD expansion slot is behind the glossy camera cover.

• I asked before, but you may have missed it:
    Do you know if it will work on the EVO 3D’s dock station? It looks like it has a charger similar to the 3D’s location. If so, I may end up picking up one of these docks, as they clearance out.

• So just to make it clear, Is there 4g on the HTC evo 4G LTE or only 3G ???? :/
    And is only 3g, do you guys or anyone know when sprint is going to roll out with the 4G LTE NETWORK ????

• Is the phone easier to be used as a wired/wireless modem (via usb cable/bluetooth) connecting to a pc? How about tethering to an Android tablet?

To pay or not to pay Sprint for the additional data usage, any included WiFi hotspot software included?

Thanks.

• One additional tidbit of info would’ve made the first answer much more compete imo, time that the display spent turned on.

• It’s been asked before but does it support SVDO? i.e. can we use voice and data simultaneously while on cdma?

• does HTC sense still interfere with the bluetooth stack for attaching a wii mote or PS contntoller?

• As of right now there is one live Sprint lte site but it’s a test site. 6 markets were announced a while ago but unless you are in those markets you will be running on 3g until the rollout is complete.

This is definitely the phone I’m getting but have to wait until a white or silver version comes out before I upgrade. My Killer Whale OG Evo is beautiful.

• Based on the review from IGN, the display is different from One X. Here is the excerpt from the review that talks about the display –
    “The other major difference between the Evo and One X is the display. The One X uses an excellent SuperLCD 720p panel, while the Evo has an IPS display, similar to what’s found on the iPhone, along with most Apple products. The Evo 4G LTE is clearly visible in direct sunlight, and is far better than the One X, but it doesn’t have the same level of color contrast and vibrancy that the One X does. Both are great screens, and if you need to see what’s on the screen anywhere, the Evo is the better phone.”

Link to the review – http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/15/sprint-htc-evo-4g-lte-review

Can you confirm that the displays are different between One X and EVO LTE. Which one is better?

Peace. My name is Powerful, and here is my comment/ question for you: With the Original HTC Evo 4g, when it came to sending text/ picture messages, or video/ mms messages, the set limit was 2mb. On the HTC Evo 4G 3D, that set limit was lowered to 1mb. What is, or what will be the set limit on the HTC Evo 4g LTE for text/ picture messages and Video/ mms messages. Your response is greatly appreciated. Peace.

• I have the EVO 4G .

I’ve been paying for 4G since it came out . With out having 4G any wear around . Plus were I live the system is so bogged down everything moves slow . The only time you can even watch a video is between 3:00 a.m. and about 8:00 a.m. we won’t even get in to trying to download anything .

I guess my whole point is why have a phone that is so great weather its the original EVO 4G or the next new thing when the network can’t support it . Just something to think about .

I’ve been with sprint for 10 + years hoping it gets better !!

• Woo! I can’t wait to get mine, thanks for the info good sir! =)

Will Face Unlock work on Halloween?

• My question is… should I be more excited about going to see Rammstein in concert on Friday or about the new EVO 4G LTE being released?
    Well honestly I’m more excited to go see Rammstein. I think the EVO 4G LTE would be the phone to get and Sprint the carrier to stick with for the next two years if they only had their LTE network up and running already. But as with wimax the sad truth is that most EVO 4G LTE might have to wait about a year before they will see the lights go up on the LTE towers, and that’s being optimistic, many will retire without surfing the web at LTE speeds. Don’t believe it? well ask 1000s of an OG EVO owners who are still waiting for wimax. To me is really like buying a Ferrari and keept it in the garage because there are no highways to drive it. A couple more things to consider when you go into a sprint store this frida…. 1. you are buying an LTE device but there’s no LTE network, 2. Sprint will make you sign a 2 year contract and if you decide to terminate it early, they will charge you $350, but if they don’t deliver 4G LTE service in you area nothing happens, you are screwed out of luck. I personally will pass on this one and wait for my sprint contract to end this summer and wait for a possible LTE iphone on Verizon or something better.

Ok a serious question. Do we get bootloader access on this bad boy?

• So basically shipments have stopped indefinitely on this device (meaning we may have to wait even longer for HTC EVO 4G LTE pre-orders):

“….the ITC found that Android’s messaging app and browser infringed upon Apple patent #5,946,647, which covers automatically converting things like phone numbers and email addresses into actionable links that open a menu of options.”

Do you think you can confirm whether or not this is true? HTC says they have taken care of it.

Yikes! Was inching closer to ordering one. They sure have some power over there at cupertino, its obnoxious. That high horse has grown legs. What about the 4S drop down that looks a lot like the android versions… And this htc evo’s swipe up to get rid of the apps… it suspiciously looks a lot like what palm did so well with the now very much defunct webos, does that mean HP is going to go after HTC too, doubt it… It’s crazy.

We are screwed. No evo this Friday. Watch now with this happening who knows when we will get it. I hate apple. Go make a better phone and stop being corporate dicks. Its a sad day for all of us waiting for Friday. What do u think we would go upgrade to the iPhone BC of this!? Wtttffff ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

• We are Apple.
    Resistance is Futile!
    We will Assimilate All!
    Of this, there is no doubt.
    You will be what we want you to be.
    We will be your thoughts.
    You will do what we tell you to do.
    Resistance IS Futile!
    We…… Are…….. APPLE!!!!!

• Apple, the device of Lemmings.
    Since we cannot compete with Android in the open market, we will attempt to capture the market the only way we can currently, and maybe have temporary success. Through the courts and BS Lawsuits.
    Android has surpassed us, we have lost Steve Jobs, and we can no longer compete. We are old and tired, but we will Sue and Sue and Sue, for this is The American Way.
    See ya in Court……..

• There seems to be a huge issue with mutltitasking on the one X, can give us a demo of switching between apps and if they are staying open or being forced to reload.

I would also like to know this.

• What was the screen brightness set at for both of your battery answers? Automatic or a lower setting?

• With the delay of shipments held up at customs, presumably over the ability to click a phone number in a text message…can you confirm whether or not that is indeed a function on the phone….or has it been removed.

• Any chance there is a 2nd LED “a la” the WiMAX LED on the OG EVO. I have grown accustomed to using the secondary LED to alert myself to missed SMS/MMS messages with “WiMAX Notifier” and more recently “Light Flow” apps on my rooted EVO 4G.

• Yes, I am very interested in this as well. I am Pre-ordered already and will wait patiently through this Customs delay. Actually I am coming from an Epic 4g (the qwerty keyboard) and I just assumed a Bluetooth keyboard would be compatible with any phone that had Bluetooth. My last few phones have had physical keyboards (Palm Pre, Centro, Treo). Now I am a little nervous that I finally made the leap to full touchscreen so quickly, but this is such an awesome phone that I couldn’t help myself. I really need to be able to use a physical keyboard though.

Thank you.

• Would you mind checking if the EVO LTE fits in the EVO3D desktop Dock?
    Thanks!

I would like to re-up the question regarding failed multitasking. The One X users are saying that even checking a text message shuts down other running apps. In other words, there is ZERO multitasking due to how Sense 4 manages memory (to prevent itself from constantly rebooting like on my OG EVO). Can you please post an answer regarding your experience with this? Thanks!