Good and EVOHacksTips & Deals

sprint 3g data tests - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereThe same trick we showed you on the HTC EVO 3D and the original EVO 4G is still applicable on the new HTC EVO 4G LTE. Namely, getting rid of Sprint’s proxy settings has been shown to boost 3G data speeds for some users: of course, your miles will vary, and this might not be as effective if your local towers are extremely congested.

That being said, in case you forgot how to do this, let’s get to work.

1. Find out your MSL number. If you’re not rooted, a quick phone call to Sprint customer service will get you this number. (Keep trying if the first customer service rep doesn’t want to give it to you, or try chatting online with a rep instead.) If you’re rooted, you can simply download MSL Reader from Google Play and follow the instructions in the app. (In my experience, you might have to try MSL Reader several times – the first two times I tried it, it returned an error message. After exiting the app and then going back in, it gave me my MSL number.)
  2. On your phone dialer, enter ##3282# (that’s ##DATA#).
  3. Press Edit Mode.
  4. Enter your MSL number as your password.
  5. Press Advanced.
  6. Scroll to the bottom and press RTSP/HTTP Setting.
  7. Press RTSP proxy IP, replace what is there with 0.0.0.0, and hit OK.
  8. Press RTSP proxy port, replace what is there with 0, and hit OK.
  9. Press HTTP proxy IP, replace what is there with 0.0.0.0, and hit OK.
  10. Press HTTP proxy port, replace what is there with 0, and hit OK.
  11. Press the back button until you get to your home screen – there’s no need to “commit modifications,” as they’re already saved automatically.

In case you need to revert back to your old settings, here they are:

default proxy evo 4g lte - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Do you notice any improvement after changing these settings?

John F

71 thoughts on “Don’t forget to change your proxy settings for faster data on your HTC EVO 4G LTE

I did that yesterday – tried on a bad 3g day so results are lower than average:

up down before change: 970 (I think) / 212
    after 1100+ / 217

However, a slow connection which this pretty much is is not going to show as much improvement by getting off their cache as a faster connection is. I expect anyone on the LTE networks to be in better shape.

• When I called Sprint I just told them a local store told me to come in for service with the MSL Code. Gave it up no problem.

• Entering in ##3282# does nothing for me on my EVO 4G running cyanogen. Is there another way to get into this menu?

• I just did the chat on Sprint’s website and got both MSL’s for my Evo LTE and my daughter’s 4G. I just did my settings on my LTE and it is noticeably faster. I will do my daughter’s 4G when I get home from work. When my daughter gets an EvoLte in October, will her MSL # be the same or does that change with the phone?

• MSL # is different for each phone.

• I have contacted sprint twice through chat and no dice. they wont give me my code. Probably will try calling them after work. Any advice from the ones that got it. I told them my phone needed service

Ok so if this is really truly faster, then why does Sprint keep those particular proxy settings there instead of zeroing them out like this is suggesting?

(this may seem like a stupid question…but it is a valid one)

• That is a really good question Charles… People are claiming that this works but I just find it suspicious that such an easy fix that produces such good results isn’t implemented by Sprint directly.

I remember trying this with my 3VO, and it didn’t really increase the speeds as much as some others. The speed in my area is HORRIBLE on 3G. I’m lucky if I ever get anything over 250k. I wait as much as 5 minutes most of the time for things to load and I live in the heart of the California Bay Area! Unacceptable. 4G on my 3VO was pretty decent however, when it was available. LTE…get here soon!

First attempt at retrieval by chat was refused due to security policy. Tried a second person and she gave it up for the asking.

I forgot to test the speed just prior, but yesterday was about 1.5Mbps down through PDANet. After the settings change my first speed test was 2.2Mbps down. That’s as good as I’ve ever seen over 3G. (San Jose near the airport).

Does anybody know how to get a list of other things you can do with your MSL? I remember there being lots of stuff like resetting the GPS radio on my OG Evo.

I also wonder if removing their proxy server from your connection improves your privacy as there is one less system recording and caching your data.

• Sorry for the silly question but do you need a comma after the last 0 like this 0.0.0.0, or is it without like this 0.0.0.0 Thanks!

no just replace it with

0.0.0.0

and others just 0

• I called sprint and got my MSL number for both my evo 3d and my evo LTE and both say incorrect passwords. Ideas?

they probably gave you a programming code, it is also 6 digits. however that is different than the MSL and won’t do the same things as the MSL. it’s only for programming (activating) a phone. you probably need to call back and say you need the MSL to perform a master reset. ;-)

• You are right. I just called back and got another number. I’m trying it as I type this

did the new number work?

awesome, I work at sprint so I kinda know these things. ;-) just a little inside information for ya! :-)

• I had never tried this on my evo, but when I reached the settings, they were already zeroes. Using swagged out stock custom rom.

• This ended up slowing my phone down

Yea it had that reaction on my old 3VO when I did it before. I wish this whole thing had a solid explanation. Until then, I think people should hold off on it.

• holy shit i was getting between 250 and 500k now im at 2mb thats nuts thanks for the tip!!!!

• Didn’t you guys get these instructions off the webOS Nation Forums for the Palm Pre?

Ok…I bit. Changed settings. Now I get less than half the speed I had before (which was already pathetic). Will not ever fall for this trick again.

John…I love your stories and articles, but please do further research on this one to find out what it is really supposed to do (or not do). My guess is placebo effect.

• What it does is bypass Sprint’s proxy servers, meaning your data jumps through one less hoop as it travels to your phone (in the simplest of terms). Like I said, YMMV – this works for some people, but depending on towers and network conditions in your area, it may not work for you.

Well, it has had the same reaction (slower) in multiple locations now in the bay area. Multiple towers give the same or worse reactions, none of them better.

• You can’t go back with the settings in the article?

Yea I put the settings back, and now my phone is doing weird things. I wish I just left it alone! NEVER AGAIN will I do this.

• I returned my EVO LTE yesterday before my 14 day period was up and went back to my OG EVO. Terrible 3G issues where I had no poblem with my OG EVO or EVO3D. Otherwise it was an awesome phone. I wish I would have tried this because I had the MSL to the EVO LTE. I know this trick worked wonders on my OG EVO…using it now.

• I’m glad I saw this before I swapped mine for a galaxy sIII. I was using a ventrillo app at work and was getting d/c every 2 min, it’s been 3 hours since I did this and ping never went over 150 and no disconnects…Thank you.

• If it slows your phone down then just change it back. Don’t cry about it. I know for a fact it worked on the EVO4G for me and many, many others.

• That’s why I included the original settings, too – in case people need to revert. ;)

I tried it and it didn’t work. THAT is not crying about it. And the fact that RIGHT AFTER, my phone has started to act strange (random reboots, sense reloading or force closing and other things) so I’m just reporting my reaction. This is not crying about it, it’s called information, and I don’t appreciate your negative attitude. If you don’t want to read something…DON’T READ IT. How about that.

• Sounds like you have a defective phone or an odd combination of exterior factors that have led to your issue. I wouldn’t blame the fix, considering you seem to be the only one with said issues.

• I’m with Sean on this one, unless you messed with other settings in there, just changing a proxy route shouldn’t cause any of the issues you’re having.

I’m willing to bet it was either going to start happening anyway (coincidence) or you’ve installed an app that is causing all these issues.

• If this really works to help the EVO LTE 3G issues then everyone needs to spread the word! When I returned mine yesterday at Best Buy, they said they had 2 other people come in that day to return theirs for the same reason. Hopefully when the issue gets worked out I can buy it again. I knew I should have waited until all the kinks were ironed out.

• Worked for me, increased speeds up from 100 to 430 with 2 bars reception (almost nobody gets signal where I work). I’m chalking this up as a win.

• when you asked for the code did you tell them you wanted to remove the proxy settings? Just asked via chat and they told me no due to security reasons and they did not have access to it.

Tell them you are troubleshooting problems and then send them a multitude of links talking about the 4g LTE issues. Don’t tell them you’re bypassing stuff! Dopes!

Obviously. On my second chat session, I sent the link to Sprint’s own forums about the problem, and the guy gave up the MSL.

• finally got the MSL, changed the settings, and my 3G speed went from 200kbps – 300kbps average to well over 1500kbps – 2200kbps average. Broward/Ft Lauderdale. Love this phone!

• Had to restart my phone after the changes were made. I was getting no connection, like I had loss 3g. After the reboot, it came back.

when making the changes do you earse everything and just enter the 0.0.0.0, or do you just place it in front of what is alredy there? also do you place a , after the 0?

Got my MSL# no problem by calling Sprint CS. I tried this method and it decimated my data speed. I rebooted and had the same experience. I reverted back to the old settings, rebooted and the speed, albeit relatively slow at 560 kbps down 180 up best case, returned. I am becoming increasingly irritated with Sprint’s 3G here in Chicago. I am willing to wait until autumn for LTE to roll out (hopefully) but if things don’t get better soon on the 3G front, let alone the 4G front, I will be a very sad panda. I never had this type of issue with my OG EVO as WiMAX was already available here in Chicago. I do love this device but without a solid network and data speeds it is a waste. KCCO.

• Just tried to get the MSL via chat and they wouldn’t give it up…claimed they don’t have access to it…said I should go to a store.

Ran a speed test this morning at work where my 3G speeds always suck. Now I’m getting Ping 210, Download 2017kbps, Upload 689kbps I have never gotten these speeds at this location this change really worked for me !

• This has worked for me in the past, but sometimes get substantial slower speeds.

• I’m in the Bay Area (San Jose/Mountain View) and it didn’t improve but made the perfromance worst. I’ll be changing my settings back to the stock settings for the time being. Sprint just needs to catch up and get their network up and running STAT.

• I deleted the proxy yesterday and definitely experienced faster speeds even almost reaching 1MP down on a speed test but today I noticed that the changes greatly affected my Battery life. Went to work this morning with a full charge and barely used my phone today and just not I noticed that my battery life was down to 45%
    For not using the phone that much, my “Cell Standby” was the highest it ever been at 15%. I changed my settings back to default.

• Very interesting, Still with my OG Evo 4G
    which I’m still very fond of… maybe even enough to see what happens after my 8/12 expiration date, anyway did the test above with bandwidthplace.com
    Results:
    3G with original settings:
    328kbts down 200 kbts up
    3G new “0.0.0.0 proxy settings:
    669 kbts down 322 kbt up

4G 1 bar / poor setting but on.
    3.38 Mbts down 778 kbits up
    (4G not great in my home but exlnt at work in L.A.)
    cable wifi g/n (just for grins)
    12.92 Mbts down 1.28 Mbts up

Bottom line it more than doubled my download 3G speed with new settings.
    Thanks, Bratman

• Sprint has high and low signals in Tampa. Even their best is low. Reps say LTE will be here by end of year. From what I have read, I doubt that will happen.
    In the mean time I followed your settings. I am extremely glad I did. My signals have drastically increased. Thanks so much.

YouTube won’t connect to video’s after I adjusted these settings, tries and tries to connect then displays,
    “Connection to Server lost”
    “Touch again to Retry”

Any Suggestions?

BTW YouTube works great on WiFi
    North Western North Carolina

• I changed my proxy settings, and as with some of the others on here, noticed worse data speeds as well as dropped connections.

Rolled with the new settings for 2 days.

I was able to roll back though without any issues. Thanks, maybe my area isn’t good for this new proxy

• Sprint claims new update 122. Should improve reception. Any one try this to see if any gain.?

With the changes, I can only max out at 1700 kbps, what gives?

• My password was 675988. Give it a try. My internet upload sped doubled.

• Youtube app and browser flash player breaks without the http and rtsp proxy settings

I just tried this and it didn’t help my speeds at all. I also tried the trick of changing the CDMA mode, and toggling allow 0.0.0.0. If anything, my speeds got worse, which is hard to do at the moment. I am consistently getting 200-450kbps at my house in Nashville. Thankfully we have Comcast internet so I can get 23mbps on wifi.

I can’t wait for LTE in Nashville. Sprint’s 3G took a nosedive about 8 months ago and has not recovered.

I installed the Msl app. But for some reason, I get the error message lots of times. I have an HTC EVO 4g LTE by the way. So what’s next?

• Why I cant access my data with the ##3282# on my phone dialer ??

I have done following steps
    Dial ##3282#.

Choose “Edit Mode”.

Enter the MSL code you got earlier for password.

Then goto Advanced->RTSP/HTTP Setting.
    I am unable to edit this settings. as it shows as disabled.
    How to enable this setting ?

Regards
    Prakash Patel

• alright I remember doing this on the old HTC EVO 4G way back in the day and I didn’t have any problems with YouTube not working but doing this on my samsung galaxy s2 Epic 4G Touch I cannot watch youtube videos and I cannot make purchases in the App Store so I had to revert backso thanks for posting the original settings I need to them because I watch YouTube all day at work

Tried this yesterday and it WORKED WONDERFULLY! I spent a good deal of time researching before applying your fix…BEST advice I found! THANK YOU! I have an HTC Evo 4G…

Do you happen to have a fix for uninstalling the pre-installed Sprint apps on an HTC Evo 4G without rooting the phone???