Facebook Messenger for Android just got a fairly significant upgrade to version 1.8. It’s now possible to add friends of friends in your conversations, see who’s available when starting a conversation, share bigger photos, and switch between conversations using notifications.
Here’s the official changelog:
Now with more great ways to stay in touch on the go:
- Quickly switch between multiple conversations with in-app notifications
- Include friends of friends in conversations
- See who’s available when you start a new conversation
- Share bigger photos, tap for full screen and pinch to zoom
- Faster app loading, navigating and sending
- More-reliable push notifications
- Bug fixes
This is certainly a great update, but there’s still no official word on when we can expect video chat to be added, even though this is obviously in the pipeline. And honestly, until this feature gets added, I will maintain the opinion that this app is pretty useless if you’ve already got the standard Facebook app installed. After all , it duplicates much of the functionality of the regular app and doesn’t really bring much of anything new to the table.
What about you? Do you use Facebook Messenger on your device?
Download: Google Play