AndroidGood and EVO

voicesearch - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereWith the release of the HTC EVO 4G LTE, two buttons that we EVO users had come to rely on are now gone: Menu and Search. Although Menu was emulated in any application that needed it as an on-screen option, long-press Search could only be functionally replicated by placing the Google Search box on every single screen, taking up 4×1 of valuable screen real estate. To solve this, one developer made a Google Voice Search Button: a one-tap 1×1 icon that launches Voice Search, which can be placed in the dock, or on any screen.

While arguably not as useful as a long-press search button, it does allow you to easily access Voice Search from almost any launcher screen you’re on. With the default Sense 4.0 layout that shipped with the EVO 4G LTE, the only place the Google search box/search button was available was on the screen to the right of the main screen, which was sort of inconvenient if you were three screens to the left.

While I replaced my text icon in the dock because I do not use the stock texting app, most EVO 4G LTE owners would probably benefit by replacing the camera app in the dock with this launcher as, well, you’ve got a button devoted to launching the camera over on the right side of the phone.

If you’ve never replaced a dock icon, just press and hold the icon you want to replace until you pick up the icon, drag it to Remove. Then go to the app drawer, press and hold the GVS app, drag it to the dock when it reappears.

Happy searching!

Download: Google Play

Paul E King

19 thoughts on “Google Voice Search Button brings search button functionality to the HTC EVO 4G LTE

• Or you could just add the 1×1 google search app to the dock….just saying

When you add the Google Search app to the dock, pressing it brings up another page, then you have to press the microphone to launch voice search.

So, press down in the dock, up top to the mic.

This is a one-tap solution.

• I have this app installed but cannot find a shortcut or widget to do this

go to apps, should be called “GVS” and look like the mic in the photo above.

• I’m in the same boat. There is not a GVS app in the app drawer. I have also found other applications that are installed but not in the app drawer, for example, Soundhound.

• Glad I rooted and installed the Fresh ROM, it has search by long-pressing the Recent Apps button.

yeah, better solution, but not everyone roots so I wrote this up too ;)

• I was surprised how easy it was to root&rom considering the 3VO path. I did my EAGLE* the first day I had it!

(I’m calling the EVO 4G LTE “Eagle” cuz E4GLTE kinda looks like “EAGLE” to me :))

I noticed that too!

• Ah. Much better, and is it me or did the answer call / decline call buttons flip flop from the 3d. I swear the first day I had the phone I was sending everyone to voicemail

Yup, they flip flopped… kept answering by instinct and getting a “remind me to call them” option,,,

• Hey Paul, using a different launcher can also be decent solution. I’ve been playing with Nova and Apex launchers and they have this option in settings to where it can put a small but effective search /voice button on each screen for you. Also can decide weather it only does this in landscape mode or both. Kinda cool..

Btw.. Why doesn’t sense just flip on its own?? Seems silly. I was always waiting for that to “naturally happen” on my og Evo4g but I eventually rooted and went the cm7 way and never really looked back. Is there some specific reason HTC doesn’t want sense to naturally flip when in landscape mode? (the darn thing is built w a kickstand) seems silly they don’t change that. Would be less inclined to look @ other launchers. Ya know

thanks for all the info

the only thing I’ve seen anyone say about this was that it had something to do with selling MediaLink – which I have not had a chance to play with nor do I know if they were right or conjecturing…

• I noticed that Sense will flip landscape in the car dock, but it’s not consistent and if you launch an app and go back to the homescreen it will revert back to portrait sometimes.

• So you have to be rooted or have a different launcher other then using just sense that came with the phone to have the microphone as a shortcut in your dock? Is that it?

no, you do not have to be rooted to put the microphone in your dock.

• No, actually using other launchers is quite easy. Just goto the market and search. I’ve used Nova, go launcher, adw, and few others. Ck them out. Very easy to understand and brings a whole new experience to any android phone. In fact I highly recommend go launcher for peeps that have older mid/high end android phones. They are overwhelmed (in a good way) with a whole new experience and customizable options to make any phone feel “brand new” again and exciting.
    So yeah, try one

• I am a huge fan of Apex Launcher. The behavior settings have kept me from missing the old buttons. Apex allows for 5 gestures. I use “Desktop double tap” to open search (identical to pressing the search button on a 3d or og EVO). You can also assign “Desktop long press” to voice search. Between those two assignments you can pretend like your desktop is a great big search button! (just remember to double tap for search)

• Also.. No. As the article states you can always customize the stock sense (dock).