How to stop Pocket Casts podcasts from showing up in Google Play Music
I love podcasts (I even co-host one), and my favorite Android app by far to manage them on my HTC EVO 4G LTE is Pocket Casts. I also really love Google Play Music. But what I don’t love is how the Play Music app always seems to display every single podcast I’ve downloaded with Pocket Casts, cluttering up my music library and making navigation through various playlists very cumbersome.
Luckily, after spending too much time playing around with this set up, I finally figured out how to get podcasts from Pocket Casts to stop showing up in Google Play Music.
- Go into your settings in Pocket Casts and select Storage > Custom folder location. Change the folder to /mnt/sdcard/Podcasts, and then select OK. If you’ve already downloaded a few podcasts, it will ask you whether or not you want to move them to the new location – select Yes.
- Open your favorite file explorer, navigate to your SD card, and delete the old Pocketcasts folder.
- Go into your settings in Pocket Casts again, and select Episode updates. This is very important: deselect Android Download Manager.
- If you wish, go into your Storage settings again, and select Refresh podcast images.
- After this, reboot your phone.
The first time you open Google Play Music after performing these steps, your old podcast files might still be listed; however, Play Music will no longer be able to open them since you deleted the old files in step 2. Just give it a few moments, and Play Music will eventually update itself, and all those old podcasts will disappear.
Additionally, all new downloads will remain invisible to Play Music, because you deselected Android Download Manager in step 3. (Previously, Play Music would display new downloads, even after moving the storage location for podcasts and including the .nomedia extension in the Pocket Casts directories.)
From now on, you music will stay in the Play Music app, and your podcasts will stay in Pocket Casts – right where both of them belong.