How to unlock/root and keep your stuff on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

roottools - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereOne of the problems with using the HTCDev method of unlocking your HTC EVO 4G LTE’s bootloader is that it will erase your stuff. You’ll end up with an unlocked, stock phone, very close to the way you purchased it. And while HTC probably did this to protect consumers who lost their phones from having their info stolen by nefarious-types, for the person just wanting to free their phone, this means that everything they’ve done up to this point is going to be chucked out the window.

Unfortunately, Titanium Backup does not work on unrooted phones, and many methods of backing up simply fail or are useless if you want to keep your game/application data. I’m assuming many a person has stood at the HTCDev unlocker precipice and contemplated how far they had gotten on Angry Birds and decided to not venture forth.

Well, good news. You can unlock your phone and keep all your data, apps, etc. (I’d still advise you to clear any Google Wallet settings you have if you don’t want to brick the Google Wallet secure element permanently. It takes just a couple of seconds to do, and it could make your phone significantly more valuable for trade or sale later on).

Your first step is going to be a non-destructive local root. You can read how to do this here. This will install SuperSU and Busybox on your system and allow you to run local root apps.

Next, install Titanium Backup (or similar) and back up all your apps and data. For extra security, go ahead and copy the contents of the TitaniumBackup folder off of your EVO and place it on your computer somewhere. That way, if something goes wrong and a destructive reset is required, you don’t want to risk losing your data. You may want to back up your pictures too, but I’ve never seen a reset, root, or unlock destroy pictures.

Then, unlock the bootloader using either HTCDev, or RegawMOD. If you use the former, re-run the first step afterward to re-obtain root rights if they’re not already there.

Finally, install Titanium Backup again, and restore your data and apps.

If your root method did not install a copy of Team Win’s Recovery Project for the HTC EVO 4G LTE, go ahead and get that and install afterward, or keep a download of it around in case CWM fails. (Once again, ClockworkMod is reported to have serious issues for some people. Your experience with CWM may vary.)

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

10 thoughts on “How to unlock/root and keep your stuff on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

June 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

What a clever work-around! I love it!

June 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Well, it’s kinda obvious to anyone that looked at the details of the first root exploit (which has been used on other ICS devices), but laying it out like this explicitly was a good idea for anyone who isn’t aware.

June 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

A lot of people are just now getting their new phones. I’d rather tell them the obvious (and look like that dude from Ch x news who tells you you can save by spending less and get better gas mileage by walking some) than have them think the HTCDev unlock or RegawMod was the only way to obtain root and then lose all their stuff.

June 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Thanks for all your hard work Mr. King..

July 14, 2012 at 10:50 am

Hi Paul and fellow GoodandEvo followers. I wanted to relate my experience with this. I went through the first step and then went to the non destructive root method. I was waiting for a full reboot but unfortunately for me it didn’t happen. I got stuck in some weird loop where the screen would stay on for a few minutes and then go black. The problem was the screen did not have anything on it except the notification bar. I was able to go to the bootloader screen and do a clear storage. Luckily I had pulled my SD card out. It was fine after that. I then did RegawMOD and that worked fine. I’m not saying don’t try it this way but just be cautious. What a fantastic first root trip for me.

September 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm

great advice!

September 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I wish this was still a non destructive root method.

September 18, 2012 at 5:49 am

is there a safe unlock/root method for the EVO LTE with software version NEWER than 1.22.651.1 ?

September 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

regawmod, htcdev… both safe for the phone, but not safe for data.

September 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

It’s safe for data that i’m looking for. This method was great when the phone first came out…then my phone received the HTC patch. Are there any apps similar to Titanium Backup that work without RooT?