HQ camera mod for the HTC EVO 4G LTE increases already great quality

white evo image - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereIf you’ve got a rooted HTC EVO 4G LTE with a custom recovery and you’ve been finding the stock camera good but want better, Williamfold has released a mod that might be what you’re looking for.

If you’re happy with the pictures from the EVO 4G LTE the way they are, you’re probably not going to notice much of a difference, other than wondering why they’re so much larger in size. If you want to be able to see individual hairs on someone’s face when you zoom in, that’s what this can help with. It also adds the ability to go into ultra detail on video recording, although reports on the success of that option have been varied.

Ultra detail on video recording will require a class 6+ SD card to keep up with the increased data writes, and highest quality pictures will now be in the 4MB range as opposed to around 2MB due to lowered lossy jpeg compression.

The mod also allows for turning off the annoying shutter sound, which is a plus.

With both the picture and video taking, the results will best be seen when zoomed in while reviewing. You should be able to see more detail and slightly better color. It’s not a huge improvement for web viewing, but for blow-up print quality it could be useful.

If you’re planning on flashing this, make sure to make a nandroid backup as you might end up losing your camera if your ROM doesn’t play nice with it.

[xda-developers]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

13 thoughts on “HQ camera mod for the HTC EVO 4G LTE increases already great quality

June 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

I saw this the other day on XDA. I decided to let it bake a bit due to the few errors people were having with flashing. Works on ViperROM from what I hear (what I am running). Been out long enough now that I think I will Nandroid and flash tonight. Good Bye Lossy?! Hope so… 40mbps 1080p video sounds nice too.

June 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I’m looking forward to this… probably going to be installing it on Sunday after my month-long ordeal with not flashing a ROM on the 4G LTE is done.

June 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Paul can you do an article with before and after pics, would be really cool. The only way I have found to turn the shutter off is have your phones ringer volume off.

June 26, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I can’t until the weekend (long story, another project I’m working on) – there’s a guy on page 3 of the source link that posted 2 of the same shots – you can see if you zoom in what the difference is.

June 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hey Paul,
    I flashed this and after reboot my cam apk was gone. The symbol wasn’t there and not in app drawer either. I did successfully restore it using titanium backup and all is good.
    Do you know what I may have done wrong? Another method I should try?
    I simply downloaded and let rom manager do the rest.
    Any help or suggestions would be great.

June 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hey there, sorry for the late reply… had an event I was at…

What I have read is if you flash and it’s gone, flash again and it’s back… that’s o page 5 or so of the source link.

June 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Sorry, so your saying try it again? I have my camera back up and running (just used titanium backup) but i wanted to have this mod.
    Btw i am just stock. No custom rom just fully unlocked.
    Thanks for any info

June 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

That is what I read, I can’t guarantee it works because I have not unlocked my bootloader yet on the 4G LTE (long story, rooted but not unlocked, might do it in a minute as that project is shot)

June 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Cool. Well thanks for info and ill give it another go.
    Also… Any word if EVO lte will receive cm9? But now more importantly – jelly bean?

Thanks for all your reviews

June 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

We have an unofficial CM9 port right now… pretty sure with how the community has responded we’ll have a pretty good chance of getting it up off the ground.

I think right now the problems are front facing camera, netflix.

Being as the LTE is The One series, more or less, I think we have 3 sets of developers working on it.

No idea on JB personally, Sprint and HTC only contact me when I’m ranting about Carrier IQ. As JB was just announced and has not packaged to ship to production, kind of doubt any carrier will decide anything for a month or two.

June 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Cool. I just remembered that gingerbread came pretty quickly to the og EVO4g. We are kinda in same time frame as that with releases and such correct? New flagship phone new os.

Lol – “ranting about carrier IQ”

Was checking out some of the keynote over on android central. Pretty cool stuff. Especially voice typing with no data connection needed.

June 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Yeah, I posted something that said that Sprint and HTC were the problem, got HTC pr email on my personal email address about 5 hours later with a long statement that they were not involved in any way with CIQ.

I asked them who had put CIQ into the HTC kernel since they built and shipped it to Sprint… they didn’t talk to me much after that.

My guess is we can expect when it is ready to get it on the new EVO and possible all the way back to the 3d.

I would love voice typing if only people around me would let me use it… as it stands I can voice search for something and whoever is speaking about a table away from me it will lsiten to their words as well… I’ll get things like “miscelanious data connection failure in 3d phones with the pasta and a side of …”

personalized recognition – ability to tune out other people talking… that would be cool

July 27, 2012 at 2:38 am

I’ve been happy with the quality of the stock camera so far so I’m excited to try this. However, my one issue is that there’s no manual focus in video recording? Am I missing something? Is there a mod to lock focus to infinity? This is especially important when recording concerts with bright lights or anything in the dark with lights that point at the camera. The AF gets so confused and ruins an otherwise great video.