AndroidApple

What I miss from iOS after using Android for one month

iphoneandroid - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

I’ve been using my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on a daily basis for a little over one month now. In that time, I’ve come to learn and love a lot of Android’s features. But since I am coming from an iPhone, there are some things that I miss from iOS and the iPhone itself. I miss things from both the iPhone’s hardware and software, and here’s what they are.

First up is software. I feel more comfortable with Apple’s App Store, but that’s just personal taste. I think I feel this way because it’s always populated with more, seemingly higher-quality apps than I can find on the Play Store. For instance, Bow Man on Google Play is a game that I downloaded just today – and before I ever got to play it, a popup informed me that the app developers, to keep the app free, were going to monetize the app through a search bar and search app that would appear on my homescreen. Needless to say, I never drew my little guy’s bow.

Apple may allow games that use OpenFeint instead of Game Center, but it would never allow a search bar to appear on my homescreen without my permission. I understand the need for developers to make money, but ads would be more effective and would seem like less of a snarky move on their part.

So now that I’ve complained about software, I’d like to complain about hardware. Keep in mind that this post is about my first month with Android; I’m not talking about every Android user’s experience, nor am I ripping on every manufacturer’s hardware – just Samsung’s.

The Galaxy Nexus is not a phone that should be considered a high-quality device. The build quality on the phone is just terrible: squeaks, creaks, mushy buttons, and an insanely flimsy battery cover all contribute to its cheap feeling. The iPhone, however, doesn’t feel like a cheap phone. Front and back glass panels are much better than plastic ones, and the stainless steel band that goes around the device feels like heaven when compared to the Nexus’ hard, shiny plastic.

Having said all of that, Android offers so much more than iOS does at this point, so I’m more than willing to look over what I believe to be the low points of the operating system. And I’m even willing to look over the poor build quality of the Galaxy Nexus, which is actually my biggest complaint so far.

Overall, I’m very pleased with my switch. If Google could just implement a few loose guidelines for the Play Store, I’d be 100% in love with the operating system and its ecosystem. I understand that’s probably not going to happen because of the openness of Android, but then again, that could be why it happens: Android has many other app stores that don’t implement guidelines. Google’s could be one that does.

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

15 thoughts on “What I miss from iOS after using Android for one month

Google Play is pretty much completely open, you’re going to run into some crappy software occasionally. There are plenty of things like Apptitude that can help you weed through the millions of apps to find quality and what you might like.

Can’t comment on the quality of the Samsung – I rather liked the Galaxy Tab original in its time, but that’s just one phone.

Something that I’ve noticed is although the iPhones look well made and feel like it, everyone has a story about breaking the screen and having to have it replaced, or dropping it and breaking the thing. I know one Android person who busted their screen in real life, and 7 iPhones maybe…I’m not sure if there’s a correlation, but the quality of the glass or how it’s held on iPhone doesn’t live up to what I’m used to.

That or iPhone users I know drop their phones more… quite willing to buy that also.

No one is allowing anything to live on your homescreen without your permission. It’s allowing something to be added to your homescreen. The developer of a free game doesn’t have anywhere near the permissions needed to override the edit system of a launcher, and they never will.

I clarified it a bit. “Living” probably wasn’t the best word to use.

So I opened this article to see what I could possibly be missing from a phone that I personally have a great distaste for (iPhone/iOS). And I leave the article with no new information.

Your first point about the software is ludicrous. No software can install anything without your permission. As the owner of your phone, you choose what software you download and what software you don’t download. Arguing that Google should lock down their store with the straight-jacket that Apple gives theirs makes Google no better than Apple.

That said, I agree that Google could do a better job with bringing better apps into the limelight. But there are a great many app discovery tools available anyway (granted, most users probably aren’t aware of this). I don’t see this as a real issue, personally. I also think it would be a good thing if app monetization was more visible. Every app I’ve seen DOES list the ways it monetizes itself in the market description, itself. Even the “Bow Man” app that you point out says right in the store:

*please read*
    In order to keep the app 100% free, you will receive the following –
    Search shortcut icon on your home screen.
    Search shortcut on your bookmarks.
    This will help me bring you more cool apps like this in the future.
    You can delete the search shortcuts easily (Drag & Drop to the garbage), this will not affect the application in any way.

If you bothered to read that, like you clearly did not, you wouldn’t have installed the app to begin with.

Your second point about hardware is essentially a non-issue. You bought a phone without checking it out at a store or in online reviews first. That’s your fault, and has nothing to do with Android itself. There are plenty of high-quality Android devices on the market that meet/exceed the quality of the latest iPhone.

TL;DR: PEBKAC

I don’t have a problem with app developers wanting to make money, but there are better ways to do that than resorting to putting stuff on my homescreen that’ll be removed anyway. Who is actually going to keep the shortcut and the widgets on the phone? And once it’s removed, how is the dev going to make any money?

Also, I never stated that software was to blame for shoddy hardware. I knew that the build quality on the Nexus was horrible before I bought it. But it’s still the only relatively-new Nexus on the market, and since I don’t want to spend time rooting and flashing ROMs, it was my only choice for a stock Android experience. Still, it’s considered a flagship phone, so the discussion of hardware quality is warranted.

The problem may exist between the software keyboard and whichever one of my chairs I’m sitting on, but this post was about *my* Android experience and my thoughts surrounding it.

You may want to read the title of your own article then: “I’ve used Android for one month: What I miss from iOS”. The article should have nothing to do with Samsung manufacturing quality.

With regard to the app: the way developers make money is not your problem. It’s very difficult to monetize free apps/services, and developers should be free to try whatever they can in an attempt to monetize their apps. Similarly, there should be full disclosure to end-users, who can then make a decision for themselves whether that app is right for them. I don’t understand how that can possibly be a “software complaint” from an end-user. If you don’t like it, don’t install it.

• Actually, it should: Samsung manufactured a Nexus, which is supposed to be Google’s ideal model for all other Android devices. If there’s shoddy manufacturing involved, Google is as much to blame as Samsung, b/c Google essentially had to approve of the Nexus design.

Please list your source on this information.

Regarding the build quality of the particular model of Android phone used, The Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, I feel doesn’t speak to Android, but to Samsung. I agree that phone feels kind of cheap because of all the plastic and that Apple’s build quality is top notch, but that is not an issue with Android. HTC and Motorola make phones of a better feel i think, but they use Android as well. As a person who doesn’t like iOS or iphones, this article made me feel like I made the right choice and have no reason at all to even look at an iphone.

Kickstands all the way.

• I have to agree with Tristan. The article states it is a bout a comparison between iOS and Android – not iPhone and Nexus, so the title is a bit loose.
    I feel the permissions should be a bit more in your face when taking personal data, but apart from that the actual software I have installed is generally good.
    I also have had Galaxy S and Galaxy Note. I have found then perfectly sturdy and have dropped on numerous occasions with barely a scratch. Most people I know who have had an iPhone have damaged them, especially the glass.

The coalition for reason is extremely weak and thanks you for your support.

• Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you
    wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive
    the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog.
    An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

• Hi, I do think this is a great website. I stumbledupon it
    ;) I’m going to revisit once again since i have saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.