AccessoriesFeaturesTips & Deals

Existing Dish Network subscribers: Get a free Roku 2 XD (YMMV)

free roku1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

If you’re a Dish Network customer who subscribes to America’s Top 200 or better, then you’ll definitely want to pay attention: as most of you probably know, Dish  Network and AMC have been in a fairly nasty dispute that has led Dish to pull all AMC programming from its channel lineup. There’s still no resolution in sight, and lots of people are pretty ticked about this, including me: after all, AMC carries two of my favorite shows – The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad.

Luckily, Dish is well aware that a lot of its customers are upset, so it’s got some nice retention offers up its sleeves. A friend of mine recently told me that he got a $35 bill credit so he could watch the next season of Breaking Bad on Amazon, so I decided to call Dish myself and see what I could get.

After calling the general customer service number that I found on Dish’s regular site, I navigated through the automated options, selecting that I wanted to cancel my account. (I knew I’d be transferred to retentions, which often has the most power to offer customers awesome things to get them to stay.)

When my call was answered, I asked whether or not I was still under contract (I was not). I then expressed my displeasure at Dish dropping AMC, said I wasn’t happy with the replacement channels they were offering, and stated that I could get a comparable package for a similar price through DirecTV. I then asked, “What can you do for me?”

Immediately, with no hesitation, I was told that Dish would send me a free Roku 2 XD – along with an extra HDMI cable – at no cost to me, with no contract extension. That way, they said, I could watch my shows through Amazon’s Instant Video service. Additionally, they offered me a discount of $10/month for one year – effectively a $120 discount.

I was so taken by surprise that I immediately accepted and couldn’t stop thanking the rep who was helping me; after all, that’s a damn good retention offer.

The Roku 2 XD is a tiny (one might say pocketable) device that streams a ton of content to your TV, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Pandora, and much more. It’s small enough to fit in your hand, and the company claims that it uses less energy than a night-light. Notably, the Roku 2 XD isn’t the entry-level model, but the second from the top – unlike the lower-end models, it can stream in full 1080p, and it normally retails for up to $80. Not bad, Dish.

Of course, your miles may vary – whether or not you are offered this probably depends on lots of factors. Personally, I’ve been a Dish subscriber for over four years, have never subscribed to anything less than America’s Top 200, and have had premium channels off and on. Dish probably won’t give you this if you’re on the basic $20/month plan.

But it’s still worth a phone call – even if you’re not offered a free Roku, you still might get some service discount. So if you’re a Dish customer, and you decide to give this a try, let us know how it works for you. It doesn’t look like AMC is coming back to Dish anytime soon, but at least you can profit from the companies’ massive PR screw-up.

John F

22 thoughts on “Existing Dish Network subscribers: Get a free Roku 2 XD (YMMV)

Since they didn’t make you extend your contract you should just cancel and go to DirecTV anyway. :-P

• Sweet offer… My cable company dropped AMC years ago and has never hinted itd be back. I didn’t give a damn at the time but ive been wanting to watch Mad Men for quite a while now…. :(

You’re the third person I saw get a deal like that.

• I just called and got them to offer the Roku player and credit off my account to watch the entire season of Breaking Bad on Amazon. around 36$

When I said I wAS thinking of moving to directv they warned me they might lose lots of channels soon.

• No free Roku device but got the $10 off per month for a year, got another $5 off for some second TV fee and got a $30 dollar credit to go buy the episodes off Amazon or wherever.

• I got the $10 per month off, the free Roku with $30 credit, plus HBO, Showtime and Cinemax free for 3 months!! Of course, I’ve been a customer (with premium channels) for over 10 years.

• YES!! I called today and got the Roku2 and $10 credit for 12 months…

thanks for the tip :-)

• I got a guy who could barely speak english and all they offered me was a $30 credit. I have a decent package and HBO. Dish sucks.

I got the roku, $5 a month, and they will pay for all the amc purchases on Amazon till it is back on. I don’t know how they will do the last one, but just the first part was worth it.

Also offered me the premium channels for half price for 6months.

• was offered the roku, 5.00 a month, and cinemax for .01 one time charge and I’ll have cinemax free for a year…plus I got 4 free pay per view certificates.

just called, acted dumb, she had the NERVE to tell me to watch breaking bad on youtube!!!….so i said, is there a box i can get to view this?…..again, no u can try netflix n u tube…..so she transfered me, and when they picked up, i said….yeah, this lady told me i can get a free roku player, …..she was all….ok, let me set that up for u……wat a bunch of dikks!

• I called in and was told there was nothing they could do for me, but they did recommend buying a Roku. I called back five minutes later and said I was a bit angry that I wasn’t offered anything when so mmany others were, and… My roku will be here in 3-5 days and the credit has already been apoplied to my account

• I just called and got the Roku box and $5 a month. I already have a Roku box, so I’ll give this one to my daughter.

• Just did it. Told them i want amc, going to direct tv. They asked if i watch amazon video on an xbox ps3 or wii. I played dumb. BAM free Roku and 10 bux credit for a year!

• This didn’t work for me, as I subscribed to America’s Top 120 and not 200, no Roku, no credit – even after I said I will be looking into a new provider. This was an Account Specialist. I’m sure they’re catching wind of people taking advantage of this and are become more stringent.

• I called, chose the disconnect option, and upgraded to Top 200. They agreed to send me a free Roku player.

I have top 120 and they initially told me no.

I said I did get AMC on VOD. And I got a roku 10 off a month and they will refund anyshows bought from amazon.

• I have been a dish customer for 10 years and I have 4 receivers.

I got 2 rokus, HBO and ciinemax and stars for a year.

No bill for 6 months, a pony, a new car,

and the extension for DN phone sex

• I just called and got a Roku box and $30 credit…

• I called once and asked what they could do for me. I got $5 off per month. I called back and asked for the roku box deal that I had read about on the internet and I got the box plus $10 off. Total $15 plus roku box plus amazon credit to purchase breaking bad. Still want the pony

• I’ve been a loyal Dish customer since Jan. 1997,I have Top 250 package w/some movie channels. I called & complained, said to them I really didn’t want to lose their service( I really Love DISH) & go to Directv , asked about the Roku deal. I have the Roku coming to me & $10 off per/month for 12 months, offset the cost of using Amazon. Yeah !!
    Roku has alot to offer for Much LESS ! Dish & Directv ,& especially CABLE will be the losers Very Soon !

• I called Dish Network 3 weeks ago to complain about the loss of AMC and they offered to send me a free Roku. I have been waiting patiently (kind of ) for its arrival, but nothing. Contacted Dish again and they informed me that the request hadn’t been verified by a supervisor so the Roku hadn’t been sent. WTF!! If you have been waiting for the arrival of your Roku you may want to contact Dish Network because it is quite possible that they have not even “ok’d” shipment. Have now assured me that I should receive Roku in 7-10 days. Not holding my breathe.