Good and EVO

Happy belated second birthday to the HTC EVO 4G

EVO turns 2 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

The original HTC EVO 4G turned two last month, a fact that escaped my attention because a very sweet HTC EVO 4G LTE was in my hands. So my OG was alone on its birthday as I held another. I feel vaguely guilty about this.

Launched on June 4, 2010, the HTC EVO 4G was the top-selling launch day phone on Sprint. It shipped with WiMax capabilities, Eclair Android 2.1, and an 8GB SD card.

Since its launch we’ve had the Carrier IQ saga, WiMax 4G petered out and died, and over a year ago the phone received its last official OS upgrade to Gingerbread. You’d think a two-year old phone would be something wrapped up, development abandoned and about to die as people traded theirs out for the new shiny things. But at two years and one month, we’re unofficially at the cutting edge with Jelly Bean ROMs in the root world, the places that had WiMax still reign supreme in terms of speed, and there’s not a whole lot that manufacturers have come out with that hasn’t been hacked, coded, or rigged to work on the OG EVO.

I’ve had my original EVO since three or four weeks after launch, making my EVO just a bit over two. It’s been overclocked, underclocked, undervolted, tweaked, dropped, and soaked, and had over four hundred ROMs, patches, and mods flashed to it. Its burned through one third-party SD card, five USB cables, two plastic screen protectors, and one dock. Interestingly enough, I’ve not managed to kill any batteries through SBC charging (or not) in that time.

While my 4G gets less action these days as I only flash ROMs on it and use it as an IP phone around the house, I can honestly say these last two years have been the first in my life that I actually liked a phone. I liked it so much I even started writing about it.

What have your experiences over the last two years with the OG EVO been? What do you plan to do with your OG if you still have it? Do you mentally replace the EVO 4G LTE with the OG in commercials Sprint puts up about “what you love” like I do?

Happy belated birthday. EVO 4G!

Paul E King

36 thoughts on “Happy belated second birthday to the HTC EVO 4G

• The og Evo shipped with eclair and was updated with froyo in august :P

I corrected that in the piece. /headdesk.

• Seems like 3 or 4 years with all the OS changes, ROMs, new phone releases, etc. I actually cannot believe it’s only been 2 years!

• Great phone. Still waiting for Wimax 4g in my city. Oh wait a minute….IT’S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Sprint is going full bore on LTE implementation… That’s right, if you don’t have 4g now, you won’t unless you upgrade to Evo 4g LTE. Even then you have to wait for it to come to a town near you. If you are lucky. I mean I waited for it to be in my town for over 2 years. STILL WAITING…. Who knows, 2 years from now, 5g will come out and Sprint will drop 4g implementation… SPRINT, FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED!!!

WiMax pretty much was a dead end at the beginning. LTE is cheaper, better, etc. Sprint and the EVO did teach us one thing – buy for what they have, not for what they say you’ll get.

“buy for what they have, not for what they say you’ll get”

Awesome statement dude!

• All I can say is I’m proud to be an Evo 4G owner. For two years this phone has never let me down. I’ll upgrade when LA gets LTE. My EVO has been modded to its max.

P.S. Im currently running Jelly Bean on this beast. Its awesome!!! I’ll run it for a week or two.

• I am also a proud EVO owner, on my second one after my first fell and got a cracked screen last year. Been using my sister’s EVO since then. It will be retired soon, since S3 is in the mail.

• I am also a proud EVO owner, still using same Evo 4G since Aug 2010. Plan to keep it as long as it runs.

Same here, i love my original evo 4g i will use this for as long as it powers on it does everything i need it to and more everything works perfect. i could care less about the new lte and have no intentions of getting it.

• Wow, and it’s still an amazing phone! I bought one a while back and flashed it to Cricket, used it for a while, then the cell radio died. That one retired, became a wifi toy, got another EVO 4G. Used it a bit longer, and eventually got myself an EVO 3D, and gave the 4G to my wife. Both 4Gs and the 3D have been great! Happy birthday OG EVO!

Same setup here. My wife has an EVO 4G and I have an EVO 3D.

We’ve both been very happy with our EVOs. That being said, when my contract is due for an upgrade in about ten months, I think I might consider a Nexus phone just for the ease of getting faster updates and/or faster turn outs of custom ROMs with the latest and greatest version of Android. Don’t get me wrong, I love HTC and the EVO line has been great. I’ll never stop browsing this site either.

• The non-replaceable battery in their new stuff killed it for me, we both actually have Galaxy S3s on the way, should arrive early next week. First contract phone for us. Hope HTC regains their senses in another 2 years :) Right now I have plans to use one of the old EVOs as a music box (pandora or mp3) for the house speaker system. I’ve also always wanted to make a remote control/camera for the garage door.

My friend loves his E4GT (SGS2), but the recent ICS update has made his battery life atrocious. I actually saw it depleting really fast when we got together a few days ago. I don’t think that’s an issue with the SGS3 though. I hope you enjoy them.

I still use my old Sprint HTC Hero for things, like browsing the web, or VoIP calls, and controlling Bluetooth speakers sometimes. Amazingly, they’re porting Jelly Bean to that venerable handset. I still flash ROMs to it when I have time. Good times.

• I still have and use my rooted EVO 4g as my everyday phone I’ll only up date when 4g LTE comes to st.Louis but my og EVO is only 15 months old and st.Louis has good Wimax and my EVO dose every thing I want a phone to do anything my phone can’t do ill just use my laptop …..I might just keep using it for a wile longer anyway the EVO LTE is just the first phone to come out there will be more to pick from down the road

• Still have mine on contract for a few more months, and at this point I think picking out the next phone is going to be like trying to buy a new puppy while your old dog is at the vet being put to sleep.

I still Have the og evo 4g and its been through more elements than what sprint/htc can dish out. i work for the state and its been in salt, salty water, dirt, asphalt, heat/cold, its been tossed around the cab of my plow truck, its been rooted, flashed, u name it. its the only phone i have trusted since the old school at&t nokia. yall rock!!

i am not going to upgrade any time soon. 4g is not worth a pothole here in mn. 73s

I am a recent proud new owner of an HTC EVO 4G which my wife had been using for the past two years. I was the one who stood in line on the day it came out, and I have been dreaming ever since that one day it will be mine. I am not disappointed and am totally happy with my upgrade from a Touch Pro2.

• I just keep wondering when they’re going to finally get it right they release phones everybody wants but the same phone lacks things with everybody wants also I want a superphone a quad core processor that’s power sipping with a slide out keyboard and gaining control pad for physical controls that has the fastest 4 g with unlocked bootloader with expandable micro sd card with unlimited data contract and a removable battery so I can upgrade my battery to the largest possible for a long weekend away from electricity like when I’m camping something that will almost completely replace my laptop for everyday use and a 10 megapixel camera I wonder when they’ll get smart enough to come out with something like that they have the technology and none of those things are something we haven’t already seen in other phones except for the camera but they’ve never come together all in 1 phone if they would do this it would be the end all be all of all phones there would be no reason to have any other phone

My wife has had her EVO 4G for just over a year now (bought July 15th, 2011) and she couldn’t be happier. She stuck with the stock Sense 1.0 for a long time, but about three months ago she let me root it and I threw CyanogenMod 7.2 on it.

The smoothness, battery life, and especially, the stability with CM7.2 has led her to declare that it “feels like a whole new phone” which is a good thing to hear, IMO. I have a feeling she will enjoy her second year with her EVO 4G as much she has her first.

• I loved my Evo,i actually got it 1 year into its life,but it was well worth it. It was my first Htc phone, and i loved it. Best phone i ever owned. I currently have the 3D, and currently waiting on the official ics update to make it even sweeter. Cant upgrade to the evo 4g lte so ill make use of my 3D till my upgrade comes. :)

• I had my o.g. evo since its release. Still get decent 4g here in Vegas. Im do for my upgrade here in Sept. I might get the new evo i have friends and family who have the new evo lte. Pretty impressive but ill probbaly wait until lte is up and running. I will keep my o.g. longs as i can. I am not going to use it for trade still good for other uses.

Happy Birthday Evo. Even though I’ve upgraded to your big brother LTEVO, I still love you. 2nd best phone I’ve ever owned.

• Best phone I ever had after 2 years I got the evo 3d

• Just stopped using mine last month, got the brand spankin new lte, I must say though, its very very very tough coming from a phone that you can do virtually anything on, to one that bugs are still being worked out. I mean I like the lte but I still have my og evo charged and ready to go.

• I’ve had the Evo 4G since July 2010, and while frustrated with the stock battery life, it’s been a sturdy phone. Most of the time I’m in a location with wifi, so the lack of 4G hasn’t irritated me too much. I’m going to watch and see what devices come out this fall for a replacement. Haven’t heard too many good things about the 4G LTE, and I doubt I’ll see LTE here, so that’s a no go. Happy BDay 4G!

I also bought my EVO 4G on July 2010, it’s still my original. It still has the original touchscreen and still charges like new. Never had a real problem with the phone. This phone has done everything i asked it to do. I’m keeping my Evo as a back up phone in case my new Evo LTE breaks. Happy Birthday Day Evo 4G and I hope I can say the same thing about my new Evo LTE.

I’m still rocking my OG EVO. I bought it the first week it came out and haven’t put it down since. At first I was less than impressed, but after about 10 days running stock, I rooted and the rest, as they say, is HISTORY. Wimax has been strong in my area (I wouldn’t have bought the phone otherwise since Sprint 3G sucks around here). I love being able to make and re-make the phone at will. The kickstand should be standard on every phone. It is my favorite feature. I’m keeping this one Sprint LTE is up and running in my area.

• Ive had my evo for almost two years, I get an upgrade next month but can’t imagine having a different phone. Think I’ll just stick with ol’faithfull

• Yep, got mine the day they came out. What can I say? This thing is a hoss. It’s never let me down. I’ve dropped it, gotten it wet, ruined a few batteries and several other stupid things and this phone just keeps on going. My contract is up and I can get a new device on the cheap whenever I feel like it but frankly there hasn’t been anything new on the market yet that I liked well enough to shell out another $200 bucks for. This one still does everything I want it to. I don’t feel limited at all. I think I’ll wait until October and see what happens.

• Actually to celebrate I just flashed an old stock ROM from June 2010 for that “Launch Day” experience. Yes, you can still run Eclair on an Evo even in 2012.

I think it’s cool that even today the Evo can run just about everything from Eclair to Jelly Bean.

Fantastic hardware: Sprint and HTC really blew away any other phones that were around in those days.

A few years hence and EVO 4G is still my reliable daily companion. I’m long past due for an upgrade, but I keep forgetting why I should. If any mobile phone deserves a long, full life, it is this. Happy Belated!