HTC EVO 4G LTE updated to 1.22.651.3, Google Wallet working

The HTC EVO 4G LTE is receiving an OTA update right now to 1.22.651.3, bringing with it a slew of bug fixes and enhancements. Among the most notable is that Google Wallet is now functioning as it should, allowing users to access the app, add payment cards, and access pre-existing funds.

Other miscellaneous bug improvements include a fix for the time zone issue in which many users were plagued by repeated requests to select their time zone, along with a fix for those random WiFi disconnects that some of you were experiencing.

Here’s the official changelog:

• Google security updates
  • Wifi disconnect issue
  • Time zone issue
  • Google Wallet fix
  • Side loaded video pause issue
  • Random power cycling issue
  • Pioneer Bluetooth Car Kit connection issu
  • Gallery app crash
  • Calendar reminder (all day even time) issue

Many rooted users are reporting success with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, although I am not one of them. So if you are rooted, proceed with caution, or wait until a rooted stock ROM appears.

Also, it appears that this update does include a new HBOOT, so if you were waiting to gain S-OFF, you may want to do that before updating.

Be sure to let us know how the update is treating you, whether you find any new bugs, and what bugs still remain.

[Sprint] Thanks, Daniel, Alexander, and Randy!

John F

62 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE updated to 1.22.651.3, Google Wallet working

• July 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

“Random power cycling issue”, I definitely had this one, it was really annoying. I sure hope they fixed it.

Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper worked like a champ for me. I am using SuperSU. I would say to make sure your apps & binaries are up to date and you delete & recreate your root backup just before accepting the OTA.

• July 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

Also, Google Wallet will now open, but it still says “unsupported device” in the banner across the top. Is this an everyone thing, or because I have rooted and/or HTC Unlocked?

• July 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

unsupported device means you’re rooted. It will still work, but they want you to know it’s possible for a 3rd party to have replaced the app to grab your CC #.

However, if a 3rd party stole google wallet and modified it, they probably would remove the “unsupported device” notification.

• July 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

For sure? I mean, it won’t get rid of the superuser app but apps that require root are still working? Did you use the HTCDev method?

Sorry to be skeptical I just haven’t seen any reports of it on xda… would love confirmation.

• July 11, 2012 at 11:05 am

Kman
      Could you please explain your procedure how you did it and explain further “you delete & recreate your root backup just before accepting the OTA.”
      Many Many thanks

• July 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

You can delete and recreate your su backup for right within the VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper app.

• July 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

Downloaded the update but nothing happened. Just informs me the download is complete. Is there something I need to do?

• July 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

I had the same issue. I had to choose ‘HTC software update” again and then it asked me to install.

• July 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

ota worked fine on my evo, google wallet back working. that annoying wifi problem seems to be gone as well. update and lte in a few days for me is good for now.

• July 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

This is a fine update, but it becomes discouraging to see phones like the Samsung Epic 4G Touch which was released 2 1/2 months AFTER the EVO 3D to be getting their ICS in the next couple of days and we are still left wanting.

• July 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

Wonder if this will have any improvement on the issues with signal strength that have been reported.

I live in Virginia and the cell service has still been pretty bad since the storms we had 2 weekends ago. Not sure if my issues are because of the phone, the storms or combination of both.

My EVO 4G gets better data speeds than my LTE.

• July 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Mike i am In Hampton Roads as well and my OG is what my 7 year old uses and gets a way better signal in the House or around the neighborhood for that matter, the 10 year old has the old 3D and i need it to get ICS, and We are supposed to see LTE in October from the last reading i seen,

• July 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

Kman
    Could you please go through your steps?
    Please explain “recreate your root backup just before accepting the OTA.”
    Many thanks

• July 11, 2012 at 11:15 am

I am not rooted, and won’t be rooting for a little while, so I went ahead and downloaded this update. Everything went well. I now can access google wallet, but won’t use it until there are more card options to use instead of the mastercard.
    The one issue I have ben having that was not fixed is the fact that my voicemail notifications do not show up. After the update I called and left a voicemail, and it is not showing up in the notification bar. I was hoping they would fix this as it has never worked for me. I guess I will just have to do without it.

• July 28, 2012 at 11:34 am

If you are having issues with your Message Waiting Indicator (MWI), you should call in to Sprint for help. There is a very quick and easy way to resolve this issue…then you will be able to see exactly when you have a voicemail. This will also solve that pesky issue where the MWI is still on the screen LONG after you have checked and cleared your voicemail.

Trust me…call in to support and they will fix it for you in minutes! ^_^

• July 11, 2012 at 11:16 am

Mine didn’t work at first. In addition to downloading the update, you have to install the update. It wasn’t automatic.

Also, new notifications are nice. You can actually read the notification (text, etc) in the notification bar without stopping what you are doing.

• July 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Why did you have to stop what you were doing before the update?

• July 11, 2012 at 11:34 am

Swype appears to have been updated as well.

• July 11, 2012 at 11:43 am

After the update, I now can’t obtain an IP address for a wi-fi connection that I’ve been using all day.

• July 11, 2012 at 11:47 am

Google wallet is still stuck on adding card after update for over 10

• July 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

Any feedback from folks who installed to indicate if this OTA fixed the annoying Rosie “Loading” multitasking delay? That is my biggest complaint about this phone. Thanks.

• July 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

This is slightly off topic, but you guys are smart. I plan to get this phone soon but was told there’s no way to turn off the 4G antenna, which leaves it constantly searching & draining the battery. Has an update been released for that? I’m in Detroit & there’s no 4G/LTE plans in the near future. Thanks, guys :)

• July 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

That is not true, you can turn off lte. It is an option that say cdma/LTE or CDMA only

• July 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

You can turn of LTE in the settings menu under Mobile Network easily.

• July 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm

thanks! I think that’s what I’m looking for. The info came from a Sprint CSR, hopefully I understood right.

• July 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

to turn off the 4g:
        settings->mobile network->Network Mode. Change from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only.

• July 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Anyone, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I hear that leaving the 4G LTE on doesn’t really drain the battery any faster or much faster than when it is off. Perhaps the reason may be that LTE uses the same band as the cell calls. I think both cell and LTE both use the 1900 MHz band, and the phone only uses the 800 MHz band for better building penetration for cell calls. Does anyone have any information on this?

• July 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Has anyone using FoxFi applied the update and checked if it still worked yet?

• July 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Yes Foxfi still works! :)

• July 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’m not rooted and ran the update just fine. Just one minor problem…it reset my phone to factory default! I am now trying to reload everything and set my phone back up.

• July 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Weird. I also have a nonrooted EVO LTE and my settings and installed apps are fine after the update.

• July 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Tried FoxFi and seems to work after the OTA completed

• July 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Is it just me or does it seem that media is louder now? I don’t have to turn my volume up as much anymore, tried it both with stock music and power amp with headphones. Let me know if anyone else notices this, and for the speaker phone.

• July 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Is WiFi working worse for anybody? I still can’t connect to a work WiFi signal I’ve was using just this morning.

• July 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I was rooted and Voodoo went through the process and did not reroot my phone. What happened? It shows in status that the system is supported and a protected copy is available but Neither device rooted otr permission granted is checked. Any ideas?

• July 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I downloaded that app too, but now I’m afraid to try now.

• July 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Anyone know if it changed the settings from the 0.0.0.0 etc for the 3g network? (something a few of us had read about several weeks back to improve speed on the network). You know where you had to get your msid # or the like ?

• July 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

In the screenshot in this article, it looks like it says 96 in the battery gauge. How did you do that? Mine doesn’t show a battery percentage.

• July 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm

With the LTE/CDMA option on with 14 hours on my phone i had 81% battery life left.

• July 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

They still haven’t fixed the BLUETOOTH/WIFI issue. I’m so frustrated at this point. Even after the update I constantly loose headset connection when the wife is on! This is my second unit. Not to mention DEAD Pixels as well.

• July 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm

+1 dead pixels … had two(devices) so far

• July 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Lol wife… Sorry *WIFI

• July 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I had the wifi issue as well. I’m on my third evo 4g lte. When I watched netflix/movies the light would bleed through the bottom causing a light show, now this one had dust and some hair in the front camera. What is next? I feel bad for the Evo 3d users .

• July 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm

When I try to install the OTA, it reboots into ClockworkMod Recovry and shows a dead android. Says “Unknown volume for path…”, “Can’t mount INTERNALSDCARD…” “Installation Aborted.” Am I doing something wrong?

• July 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Can anyone advise if unrooting a device that used one click root first, then apply update, and one click root again will work?
    I am completely fine with the stock Rom. I do not want to flash a new Rom at this time.

Thanks

• July 12, 2012 at 5:50 am

My update is stuck at the ‘Download Successful. Verifying update package’ prompt. Circle spinning. Nothing happening.

I rebooted and tried to run the update again. Fails.

• July 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

My pull down notification screen is now black (can’t see settings or anything. And my Swype doesn’t work. WTF?!

• July 12, 2012 at 12:03 pm

You have to hit ok when it says verifying update package. And then go to updates in settings and it will say update ready after u hit check now. Install and all set. Hope that helps!

• July 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

So. I’m soft rooted. Can I download the OTA update and then re-root or will trying this brick my phone?

• July 13, 2012 at 2:24 am

After updating my phone (stock), simultaneous voice and data no longer works. wth!

• July 13, 2012 at 11:05 am

I agree. The Bluetooth issue has not been addressed and it is very upsetting.

• July 15, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Poor battery life is what my biggest issue is right now and i just noticed its a little laggy compared to what it has been, are these the bugs we have to go through when the OTA comes out seems EVO1, EVO 3D, and EVOLTE, all have gone through the same things.

• July 16, 2012 at 7:56 am

I had about a day and a half of really bad battery after, then yesterday I unplugged at 6something AM and plugged back in at 11pm and still had 19%.

This was a day in which I ran Pandora for roughly 3 hours on speaker while I worked.

Really laggy still though, can’t figure out what that is.

• July 16, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’ve RUU-ed back to completely stock, then rooted using HTCdev. I haven’t made any major changes, other than installing a few root-only apps (WiFi Tether, SD Maid, etc.), and I’m still getting the weird WiFi connection issues I told you about before (connected to WiFi, excellent signal, but no data transfer). It usually happens right after connecting to my home network, and lasts anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 minutes; afterwards, data resumes and speeds are where they should be. It’s so weird!

• July 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I was stock rooted and downloaded the OTA update. Typically, VooDoo Rootkeeper allows me to keep root access. However, this time rootkeeper failed. Device rooted and Root permission granted are unchecked. Can anyone help?

• July 16, 2012 at 9:58 am

hi…love good and evo…got my evo 4glte as soon as it came out, upgraded from my first evo i had for 22 months with no problems…love the new evo 4glte. i have had no problems with wifi or bluetooth. battery life is great so far. i don’t leave my phone on 24/7. just wondering if i got lucky and got a good phone. i downloaded the update but not sure i want to install it after reading all the comments. i live in the baltimore,md area waiting for 4glte to come on line.

• July 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

I leave mine on 24/7 and the only time it has been off is when the OTA did the update, i hope they can figure out the battery life issue and get our jelly beans lined up for the next round as well.

• July 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

hi wayne, i wrote it wrong above. i leave my phone on for days but i’ll turn it off for a few minutes every few days to refresh. i guess what helps me is that i grab my two emails when i want. i still use my phone at work ( i’m a phone tech for sprint) to troubleshoot other phones for repair. i’m not holding my breath for jelly bean the sprint does stuff

• July 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm

• July 24, 2012 at 7:34 am

I downloaded and installed the update. To verify, I went to Settings>About and it shows software version 1.22.651.3 71ORD. I still cannot access Google Wallet. For about 20 min. after I installed the update I was still getting the same error message that Google Wallet is not supported. Just tried it again as I was typing this post and can now access Google Wallet. I’ll try the setup and re-post if I have any issues.