First, we were told that the HTC EVO 3D would be getting Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, sometime in “early 2012.” Then, last February, we were given a vague timeframe of “later this year.” Later, on May 31, the EVO 3D was released on Virgin Mobile already running ICS, so most people thought that Sprint’s version would get it any time. But hold up – Sprint executive David Owens said that we should expect it in June, after the ICS-toting EVO 3D was released on Virgin Mobile. But then HTC said June/July.
What a mess.
Now, the latest word from Sprint is that we’ll have to wait until early August to get the update. I don’t know about you, but I think that if Sprint turns out to be this loosey-goosey with its LTE roll out time frame, we could be in some major trouble.
Sprint’s full statement appears below.
[Sprint] Thanks, Bryant and Tony!
The wait is almost over for HTC EVO™ 3D and HTC EVO Design 4G™ customers! The Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, update will begin rolling out to users by early August. Stay tuned for exact dates.
When your device is eligible for the update, it will notify you to download. Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to install the update. Installation will take a few minutes, and your device will be disabled during the installation process. It will be ready to use when the process is complete.
Android 4.0 adds numerous enhancements and new features, including:
- A refined, evolved user interface that is simple, beautiful and useful
- Face Unlock: use state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to unlock your phone with a smile
- Redesigned camera app which introduces Scenes like Panorama, and Effects such as Vignette, Depth of Field, Vintage and Posterize
- Web browser now lets you sync Google Chrome™ bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see your open tabs in a new layout
- People: browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+
- Improved keyboard with incredibly accurate typing, an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
- Redesigned Gmail™ app that now lets you swipe between conversations to catch up quickly and search for emails even without a data connection
- Google+ integration that lets you hangout and video chat with up to 10 friends using your front-facing camera