My Nexus 7 just started exhibiting the dreaded display lift

nexus 7 screen lift - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Just a few days ago, I published my review of the Google Nexus 7, in which I found that ASUS and Google’s combined efforts had resulted in a great tablet. At the time, I also hadn’t experienced any of the hardware issues that some others were, such as screen lift and poor touch response. Unfortunately, that changed today, as I noticed that the glass on the left side of my tablet is lifting ever so slightly from the casing.

The defect isn’t actually too bad, and isn’t noticeable at all if you aren’t looking for it. However, the problem is certainly there, and can be made obvious by exerting a slight pressure on the bezel of the tablet. When the display lifts up, you can clearly see the glue that failed to hold it down. As I said, the defect isn’t yet noticeable at all, and also hasn’t caused a functional problem yet. However, I wouldn’t want to keep the tablet in this state, simply because I don’t want the problem to get worse.

Since I intend to keep the Nexus 7 for a long time, I simply can’t ignore this problem. It may be small now, but I don’t want to risk it becoming progressively worse. As such, I will be contacting Google today about a replacement. It may be possible to fix the problem without sending the tablet in for repair, but since mine is still under warranty I think sending it back to Google will be easiest. This will be my first time dealing with Google Play customer support, so I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted on the fate of my Nexus 7 and how well Google handles the problem.

Just to be clear, this is in no way meant to contradict my positive review of the tablet, just to notify everyone that the screen lift problem is present on some devices. However, I still think that the Nexus 7 hardware is good, and consumers shouldn’t let a few faulty units sway them away from buying the tablet.

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Aaron Orquia

Aaron Orquia is an associate editor at Pocketables. He has been using Android and Linux since he bought his first computer years ago, and his interest in technology, software, and tweaking both to work just right has only grown stronger since then. His current gadgets include a OnePlus One, a Pebble smartwatch, and an Acer C720 Chromebook.

Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Aaron | Subscribe to Aaron's posts

27 thoughts on “My Nexus 7 just started exhibiting the dreaded display lift

August 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Ahhhhh brings back EVO memories!!

August 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm

When I received my Nexus 7 in July, I noted the problem right out of the box. But Google’s reps were speedy and very understanding of the issue, and I had a new one within a week’s time, defect-free.

September 3, 2012 at 7:10 am

Hopefully my experience will be the same!

August 31, 2012 at 1:34 pm

If I get mine from Staples, etc. but not Google Play, do I contact Google Play about the issue or do I contact the place that I brought it from?

September 3, 2012 at 7:11 am

I believe you should contact Staples, then ASUS. If you didn’t buy it from Google Play, I don’t think they can help you.

August 31, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Happened to my beloved Cowon S9… and dust got beneath the screen.
    Not the most beautiful thing there is.

August 31, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I remember all my broken palm per issues

August 31, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I really appreciate the update and will continue to watch this site to see how Google responds to your inquiry. As I’m surely not the only interested reader, it’s hoped that you will continue to document here this and any other Nexus 7 issues.

September 3, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’ll do my best. In a way, I’m glad this happened so that I could notify people, but the Nexus 7 is such a great tablet that I don’t want people to avoid buying just because they might get a faulty unit. I know I will be eagerly awaiting my Nexus’s return, I already miss using it.

September 1, 2012 at 1:54 am

I remember when one of my OG evos did this. Thank god for Sprints TEP.

September 1, 2012 at 1:55 am

How could Asus have avoided the problem completely? Could they have used more quality control or they have just used an excess of adhesive?
    Additionally, I think it’s pretty weird that the problem isn’t that wide spread with the transformer tablets assuming that they’re all made in the same factories.

September 3, 2012 at 7:13 am

From what I can tell, some of the tablets were a little light on adhesive. Perhaps it is just a small flaw with the manufacturing process, although I don’t think that there are a lot of Nexus tablets with this problem.

September 1, 2012 at 3:42 am

I have been debating buying this device, this issue with it has me hesitant until Google/Asus resolve the issue, if they do.
    Would be nice to get some stats showing how many units suffer from this issue.

September 3, 2012 at 7:16 am

I’d like to see those stats too, but I wouldn’t let the possibility of getting a bad unit convince you not to get a Nexus 7 if you want one. As long as Google honors the warranty, it shouldn’t be an issue.

September 1, 2012 at 4:41 am

I wonder what the real issues is with this problem. Are they rushing these out so fast they are not quality checking to make sure stuff like this doesn’t happen? Or is this a manufacturing problem, meaning they need to retool for the Nexus 7 Tab II? Hopefully ASUS and Google will fix this ASAP and it wont be an issue. Ill wait a bit and watch for your customer service post before going out and buying one. Thanks for the heads up!

September 3, 2012 at 7:17 am

I would guess that there was just a bad batch of Nexus 7s, with too little adhesive or some other problem. I’ll update soon with my customer service experience, but as long as it is good I’ll still highly recommend the Nexus 7 as a great product. The only way Google could get me to advise against buying one would be to ignore my warranty request completely.

September 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

I hope this problem is fixed so that ASUS and Google keep a good reputation.

September 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Trust me, so do I.

September 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m not a picky person when it comes to gadgets, but this may discourage others to buy it unless the problem has been addressed/fixed. Hopefully it will be resolved.

September 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I would still recommend the tablet in theory, but advise buyers to make sure they don’t have a defective unit. I called Google support on Labor Day, and so far everything seems to be going well. I’ll be posting an update post once I get my new device.

September 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

Still the best 7″ on the market? Bound to be some problems with a few tablets. Hopefully the problems will be resolved.

September 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I wonder if there is a way to find out what serial range has the issue.

September 5, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I received my Nexus 7 last week and for 3 days it was great. Then I woke it up and the screen was almost entirely white. I never saw any separation issue. After sending an email to support I got a reply a couple days later with RMA info and shipping labels. A link for requesting (purchasing?) a replacement is broken so Hopefully they respond to my latest email. In short, a great tablet is overshadowed by poor mfg quality and amateurish support.

September 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I may just hold out till the Microsoft Surface is out. Surface Pro that is. The RT maybe, if the $199 rumor is true without any strings. .

September 10, 2012 at 4:27 am

My Nexus 7 has just started doing this too. So I’m going to hit up google play and hopefully it will be a painless process. Love the tablet though so as long as I can get a new one, I’m good.

October 9, 2012 at 3:39 am

I had my Nexus 7 for 3 weeks and then had this problem come up. It is really poor of Asus to design and produce this unit without fixing this. In my unit, they had even eremoved 2 screws from inside the unit to try and alleviate the likelihood of this happening. It happened and I have returned the unit for a refund. I’m going to wait until they get out a redesigned version before I rebuy.

October 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Any updates on that Aaron? Did you get a replacement that was not faulty ?