Apple

iphone5 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

As if you didn’t already have enough reasons to not want an iPhone 5, right?

Verizon has just confirmed that Apple’s new iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on its network. Here’s the official statement:

The iPhone 5 was designed to allow customers to place a voice call on the Verizon Wireless network, while letting customers access the Internet over the WiFi.

Sprint and Verizon will be selling the same model of iPhone 5, which means that Verizon’s statement applies to Sprint, as well, although the latter carrier hasn’t confirmed the news itself at the time of this writing.

Meanwhile, AT&T’s LTE model will allow its users to simultaneously talk on the phone while using data.

For a lot of people, the iPhone 5 was already a disappointment – and this latest unfortunate fact just adds another nick to the iPhone’s aluminum body.

How do you feel about the iPhone 5’s lack of simultaneous voice and data on the US’ two biggest CDMA carriers? Or don’t you care at this point, as the iPhone 5 isn’t worth buying?

[The Verge]

Calob Horton

Calob Horton is an associate editor at Pocketables. He loves all technology, no matter which company it comes from. This unbiased view of the tech world allows him to choose the products that best fit his personal needs and tastes: a Microsoft Surface Pro, a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and a third-gen iPad.Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Calob | Subscribe to Calob's posts

13 thoughts on “Apple iPhone 5 won’t support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon, Sprint, gets even more unattractive

Are there any cdma phones that allow talking and using the web?

There aren’t any CDMA phones that do, but there are LTE phones that can – and the iPhone 5 isn’t one of them. LTE is a different technology than CDMA.

You are wrong. The EVO LTE can browse and talk at the same time while connected to 3G.

The 3G/LTE chip is separated from the talk. Making it possible to use it. Hence the reasoning behind this article saying how the iPhone is lacking it.

The EVO 4G LTE does SVDO and it is CDMA. I’m not too sure of the tech aspects but I believe they put voice on one chip and data on the other (wow I sound technical yhere, hah). But I use SVDO on 3G all the time.

well k-lob i didn’t know you were a troll, good for you.

Most people don’t use voice and data at the same time with phones. I have very occasionally gone hands free and then looked something up on my phone whilst continuing the conversation. I believe this will increase though as my phone is my go to device.

The Verizon Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy S3, and the Evo LTE can all do simultaneous voice and data over 3G. The Thunderbolt being the first

I have been in a few situations when I needed data while on the phone, I was lucky because wifi has been available, I don’t think this will sway many apple people, I work with a few and they were already putting their old phone up for sale before they even saw a picture of it

• I just used voice and data at the same time today and let me tell you it was helpfull.

My scenario went like this.

To many transactions on my credi card left it useless.

While on the phone waiting for customer service i was able to find out where the nearest bank was while talking to an agent.

This was on sprints horrible 3g network on the EVO LTE

I live in indianapolis, they have been upgrading the towers for lte, and 3g has gotten much faster on my og evo, I don’t even curse at it anymore

Look, Fuck Apple, fuck the plane apple flew in on, fuck they new charge ports, fuck they small ass screen’s and they shiney metal back, fuck yo gay ass merry-fuckin’ ios, fuck them cheap ass headphones, fuck yo logo, fuck yo retina display, fuck yo iTunes, fuck Steve Jobs, fuck Tim Cook, fuck the Queen. This is Android. My mascot is GREEN and my SCREENS are BIG, nigga. Now get the fuck out my screen. And if I see you in the street I’m slappin’ the shit out of your hand

• I wonder what caused Apple to not include a second chip devoted to just voice. Was it more of a power draw choice or space?

Speaking of sprint, I live in NYC. My coverage sucks. Sprint needs more towers in general.

Just another example of a big brother company deciding how the buyers should be using their product. The fanatically tight reign Apple has consistently held on its customers is the main reason I haven’t bought into its products.

Unfortunately, way too many folks are willing to give up choices for general convenience and ease of use.