AppleTablets

Be wary of iOS 6 WiFi issues [Updated]

apple wifi - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

So, this being the first major update that my iPad has received since I got it, and me being a first time Apple owner, I decided to jump on the iOS 6 wagon as soon as I could today. I’ve dealt with enough software updates over the years to know that whether it is a patch for my favorite game, an update to a mobile app, or a new version of desktop software, the odds are pretty good that even though some bugs will get fixed, you will end up with some new ones as well. This is especially true for major updates, like the ones where you jump from a version five to a version six. My normal rule is to be wary of new updates, and if I do install one, make sure I have a Google-ready device nearby to find out how to fix any new bugs. With that said, I hit the install button on iOS on my iPad tonight while I was at work, and was regretting it after it finally finished.

The download for my iPad 2 was almost 600 MB. It took about 20 minutes to download and prepare the update for my iPad, and then another 30 minutes before it was finally finished. After a couple of reboots, I was finally greeted with an iOS 6 welcome screen. I was happy I didn’t run into any problems, until I tried to join my WiFi network. Now bear in mind this was the same network that I was connected to 50 minutes before when I downloaded the update. It would connect for about a second, and then try to open up a webpage on Apple.com, but was erroring out, saying that it couldn’t find the page. Well, no duh – I wasn’t connected to the internet. Then I would get a popup error stating it couldn’t connect to my hotspot. I skipped through the initial setup, and then went straight to the settings. I tried everything I could, but couldn’t get it to connect.

That’s when I took to Google. I immediately found multiple new threads from today on Apple’s website. They were for both iPads and iPhones, and lots of people were complaining that after the iOS 6 update, they couldn’t get their devices on WiFi. None of them had any answers, which wasn’t surprising since the update just dropped today. I left work a little while later, and when I got home, I was eager to find out if I was gonna be able to connect to my own home WiFi, or if I was gonna have to go back to iOS 5. I connected immediately.

I don’t know if it was something different with my WiFi at work, but I know that I wasn’t the only one having issues. Have you had any issues with your WiFi since the update?

Update: Some readers are saying that it was an issue on Apple’s end, and it has been resolved. Others are saying that you can change your proxy settings to automatic, and then it will connect. I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it will connect at work again.

Bryan Faulkner

Bryan Faulkner is a former associate editor at Pocketables. He loves to find new ways to use his tablets while working as the Tech Director at his local church. Mixing sound from the iPad is his newest obsession. He currently has a pair of HP TouchPads, an iPad 2, a decommissioned HTC EVO 4G, and a Samsung Galaxy Note II to tinker with.

19 thoughts on “Be wary of iOS 6 WiFi issues [Updated]

• This worked for me. Go to your WiFi settings, then click on the blue circle with the arrow to the right. Go to the http proxy area at the bottom and set it to automatic. Once you IOS 6 device has successfully connected to wifi you can chane it back.

I’ll try that tomorrow when I go back to work if it is still being funny.

It was due to a webpage that iOS pings being unavailable. The older versions of iOS have pinged the same page, but the site was unavailable for a portion of the day. From what I’ve read on other sites, it’s been resolved. I haven’t had any issues since after 7 this evening.

Ah nice, I wasn’t seeing any of that when I was doing my searching earlier.

We’ll see what happens when it gets done with my iPod

It works on my 4s and iPad 2. The link to App Store on passbook doesn’t work. Should it?

The title of this article is misleading – something similar to ‘WiFi Connectivity initially questionable after loading iOS 6’ would have been more accurate. The “Be wary” is a bit over-the-top for this very preliminary report, as you weren’t able to include connectivity results at the site of the original problem.

i am just going to sit out the update for a day or two. nothing overly exciting to look forward to anyway.

Hi, I did my upgrade with no problems at all. After appear the IOS 6 on the screen and follow the instructions, my phone opened even with the same picture I use as wall paper.

By the way, I’m upgraded on my Iphone 4s

Although a bit off topic, I am interested in knowing how this update is working with the older iPhone models. In my opinion, it seems that Apple pushed the bar too far back in order to brag of how many devices will get the update.
    Not sure if I am correct though.

Um screw wifi issues, the ios6 update is draining my battery life quick. I unplugged my phone this morning at 100% and now it’s almost at 50%. I have only used Fb this morning before leaving and checked my emails. Before ios6 update my iPhone lasted me pretty much all day. Any one else having this issue?

Apple…It…Just…Works….Yeah….Right!
    Not to mention that my 1st Gen iPad (that was given to me by my employer; I would never purchase one with my own money) will not receive the iOS 6 update. So, if their devices don’t “just work” and they are fragmenting their product line, where does this leave Apple?

Wow my iPhone just shut off at 25% battery life just plugged it in to recharge. Nice one apple!

• Did the update now I got uninstall then reinstall my apps to work plus web pages look like crap. WHAT A LOAD OF HYPE

yeah i noticed internet pages suck. Pocketables when you scroll down its has black boxes over the images and then when you let go to stop scrolling its ok. some pixelage going on too!

Funny how everyone says apple just works, but every new update or device it seems that the first complaint is the battery life.. maybe they should say, it just works, as long as you are plugged in or have an outlet near by?

Lol. I thought that was for the computers? Is it also happening to iPhone?
      Cant help but get a small smile on my face. :P

No problems here.