Komodo Jelly Bean AOSP kernel released for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

kernel - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereWith Deck’s CMX, ParanoidAndroid, and AOKP sporting Jelly Bean versions for the HTC EVO 4G LTE, we’ve been pretty much stuck with the development kernels they ship with. Being in development, these are a pretty safe, un-clockable, dull-edged choice. However, Komodo is a new custom kernel that allows for overclocking, gives extra RAM, and basically breaks new ground in the EVO 4G LTE Jelly Bean AOSP world.

With Komodo you can overclock your JB ROM to 1.89GHz if you want to wring some more performance out of your phone. The IO schedulers are all optimized for flash devices, eight CPU governors should be able to put the phone in whatever responsiveness/battery sipping state you require, and there’s a lot more that the kernel can do.

The kernel does require a Jelly Bean ROM, so if you’re not on any of the JB builds for the EVO 4G LTE, this isn’t for you. If you’re S-ON, you’ll need to flash it either via Fastboot, Flash Image GUI, Dumlock, or some other fashion.

If you flash it, let us know how it works for you – I’m not running JB at the moment, as I need my Sense 4.1 camera more than I care to admit.

[xda-developers]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

13 thoughts on “Komodo Jelly Bean AOSP kernel released for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

September 7, 2012 at 8:48 am

I can’t really tell a difference except I got more force closes when I started it up. According to linpack my speeds are the same. I used no frills and set it to 1.89. Not sure what I did wrong.

September 7, 2012 at 9:21 am

If I remember correctly kernels take a while to take effect, I want to say a couple days.

September 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

The kernel “taking a while to settle in” refers to it getting right with battery consumption or reporting thereof.

After one solid boot, the next boot everything is taken care of housekeepingwise (except for battery consumption stats) and the kernel should function normally.

Spencer: reboot once, if it doesn’t work, chuck it and go with the kernel that shipped with whatever ROM you’re using… also might be a ROM/revision specific issue.

September 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

I knew it was something like that, thanks for the clarification!

September 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Thanks! It doesn’t seem much faster but its not force closing any more so ill just stick with it. This cmx Jelly bean rom is awesome either way

September 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hey Paul, I don’t know if you remember me or the difficulties I had recently trying to flash one of the new Jellybean ROMs. Every time I flashed it using Flashimage GUI…then flashed it again from recovery. I followed the correct procedures only to end up stuck at the lockscreen with an impossible error message stating (Unfortunately phone has stopped) If I flash this Kernel , what ROM should I then flash from recovery? Will it work with all the Jellybean ROMS? I am Unlocked with S-On Hboot 1.12 currently running Blue Tranquility ROM.

September 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

I don’t know… I also have no idea what was going on with why you had so much trouble. Wondering if it might have been a baseband version issue.

If you flash this, I’d try Deck’s latest as that seems to be the cutting edge, but there’s an PA rom that I believe was no derivitive of Deck’s so that might work where decks didn’t.

September 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

Can’t wait to give it a try. I’ll remember the reboot thing once after I do too lol.

September 7, 2012 at 11:53 am

Yeah, never trust a ROM or kernel to function completely right the first boot… I usually let the ROM boot up, do its thing, it finishes all the little housekeeping tasks it does after a minute or so, then reboot.

Not entirely sure what all is being done, but it seems things function as advertised if I give it a couple minutes and a reboot.

September 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Agreed. Sense camera is to invaluable to go back to cm10. (for now) JB roms/CM10/decks.. Is a sweet rom though. I am very excited to see what will happen with it and other developers itching to have a “perfect” JB experience on evolte. Good times a coming!

September 7, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to look into this.

September 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I use the camera too much to change from sense

September 10, 2012 at 6:40 am

Eureka!! It finally worked for me. I’m not certain why. But I’m running CMX Rom. I like it alot. Really smooth and very fast. I’ve never seen web pages load this quickly on a mobile device…wow…everything seems so much more simplified. I really like this rom. Gonna use as my daily driver till I miss the Camera too much…well see. Thanks for all your help paul.