airave 2.5 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereIf you’ve been experiencing problems using your HTC EVO 4G LTE with the new Airvana AIRAVE 2.5 from Sprint, you’re not alone. Some people are experiencing an issue in which dial tones are being sent to the person on the other end of the call, completely unknown to the person connected to the AIRAVE. In fact, the dial tones become so persistent – and so annoying to the other person – that it becomes almost impossible to carry on a conversation.

This has been happening to me, and it’s gotten so bad that I’ve been forced to unplug the AIRAVE at my house. A quick Google search didn’t turn up much, but I did find at least two other people with the same problem (see here and here). After some experimentation, I was able to narrow it down to a bug with the EVO 4G LTE’s proximity sensor – it seems that whenever the screen turns on or off during a call while the EVO is connected to the AIRAVE, the phone sends some kind of signal that translates into dial tones to the person on the other end of the call. This makes it impossible to navigate through phone trees when calling customer service numbers, and it even impacts my ability to use Google Voice.

I’ve found that using the EVO on speaker or with a headset – in other words, disabling the proximity sensor during the call – will solve the problem. However, I hate using the speaker during calls, and I hate having a headset on all the time, just on the off chance that my phone might ring. In other words, this bug has prevented me from using my EVO with the AIRAVE.

At this time, there seems to be no solution to the problem. Several fixes that I have read about seem to be temporary solutions, with the problem coming back shortly after. According to one person afflicted with the problem, even the highest levels of Sprint tech support have been unable to resolve this, even after “rebuilding” the affected line.

And to be clear, this does not affect other devices connected to the AIRAVE, and it does not affect the EVO when disconnected from the AIRAVE.

My hope is that this is an issue that can be corrected in a future software update, as it does seem to be software related. In the meantime, my AIRAVE will remain unplugged and collecting dust.

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

32 thoughts on “Little known bug prevents use of HTC EVO 4G LTE on the Airvana AIRAVE 2.5 from Sprint

September 7, 2012 at 10:32 am

Wow crazy you just posted this because I have the same problem but with the original AIRAVE (I think made by Samsung). I just unplugged it last week and the calls became much clearer. That dial tone sound wouldn’t let me hear anyone and they couldn’t hear me.
    – EVO 4G LTE

September 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

John,
    Im having a similar problem but its not related to the airrave. My LTE keeps going to conference call if i try to use an automated phone tree…as soon as i press one for english my old school call in press one for voicemail pops up on conference call. It only happens when using the prox sensor too….if i have bluetooth or headset in it doesnt do it. I had this same problem on my og evo but not on my 3d …help me obiwan ur my only hope….

September 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

My Airave 2.0 just died and I Sprint sent me a 2.5. The signal seems weak in comparison and my EVO LTE doesnt always use the Airave when placing a call, even from a few feet away. Haven’t experienced the proximity sensor issue yet, but I’ve been running CM10 since I got it – which could be a work around (CM10 showed me how to love again, btw).

On a side note, the new Airave makes a loud high pitched noise the old one never did. Enough that I am requesting a new one from Sprint.

September 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

I have the Airvana AIRAVE 2.0 and I did have an issue with my proximity sensor on the older EVO LTE software (Android 4.0.3 & Sense 4.0) but now since the recent EVO LTE update (Android 4.0.4 & Sense 4.1) the proximity sensor works as it should. My phone is a stock EVO LTE.

I do have many issues with the AIRAVE but I do have trouble sending multiple text messages at once as it duplicates the messages multiple times to everyone the message is sent to but it is not nearly as bad as a few months ago suggesting to me that Sprint updated the AIRAVE software or did a server side fix?

September 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I had that problem before and after the most recent OTA update – but it didn’t exist on the older Airave 2.0, which I’m not kicking myself for getting rid of.

September 10, 2012 at 5:05 am

I’m lost, so you didn’t have any issues on the older Airave but you now do on the 2.5 version?

September 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Hrmm, wonder if the proximity sensor issue is why I get so many dead incoming Google Voice calls (IE, I can’t answer them by pressing 1).

This is probably the 11th time I’ve heard of proximity sensor issues now with the EVO 4G LTE

September 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Man! I thought I was the only one having issues with the Airave. I just got two about 2 weeks ago for my house and office. Then shortly after an EVO LTE. My biggest issue is with text messages. Sometimes I don’t recieve them or can’t send them. Alot of times they come in late. 15min to an hour. Also, sometimes my friends receive them a couple of times. I received 1 text from a friend a day late 7 times! Once every half hour. My signal also fluctuates. Not sure if it’s my phone or the Airaves. I’ve been hassling with tech support for the past week. They have mentioned multiple times that they’re working on a software update that should be coming out in about a month. I have horrible reception in my house, so I’m screwed with or without it. :-/

September 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

When i text from my place sometimes it text bombs everyone with the same message a dozen times.

Other times when I leave my place a bunch of messages will come in. I think its pretty clear that Airave tech sucks.

Back when I was on Tmobile (barf) the calling over any available Wifi was amazing and worked without issue. Not sure of the legalities, but it sure seems like it should be a common feature with all carriers.

September 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I too sometimes have problems sending/receiving texts, multiple sends and receives, but lately it’s been fine. Only thing lately is that texts will have the waiting to send symbol next to it for a while, sometimes I just pop in and out of airplane mode and it sends. but it’s a life saver. My apartment averages 1-2 bars and 3 near windows. Now I have full bars :D my two roomates and I have sprint so we all win.

September 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I have this Air Rave and experiencing issues to on 4g LTE. One annoying thing, will not do a 3 way call.

September 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I was on the phone and someone kept telling me to stop hitting that beeping noise and I coukdnt figure it out! Thanks!

September 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I guess I am lucky, since I have not been experiencing this issue. At least nobody has said anything to me.

September 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This explains my experience talking to my boss who has an Airave.

September 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

My wife and a few friends kept complaining about beeping while on the phone. I just assumed that even though the screen was going black, that it wasn’t actually disabling the touch screen, so my cheek was hitting buttons. Didn’t even associate it only happening at my house on the AirRave. Thanks for narrowing it down and sharing it.

September 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I didn’t know they released a new Airave. I have an older one and have never been really pleased with it.

Is the new version better, or is it just newer with a newer, shiner version of SUCK?

September 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm

My airwave doesn’t work as is.

September 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I have not noticed this, but have noticed two other little annoyances with my EVO 4G LTE + Airave. Connection to the Airave is sporadic, and while all documentation points to being able to start a call while on airave and leave the house and the call will transfer to the next tower, mine just drops the call….and then if I try to call back I get a “cannot complete your call” message. Tried updating my profile, same message. Had to reboot the phone to get things working again. Wierd.

September 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

My Airwave always crashes my Evo 4G LTE AND my Photon Q. Wierd.
    Oh and heres a thought Sprint. If the Airwave fails to sell you can always call it thr Airwave Fan 2.9

September 9, 2012 at 10:52 am

I have been having issues with his airave for months with og evo.the problem is with text messages.
    Right after I send a message, my phone will look as though it’s having trouble sending the text. The send
    status will just keep blinding. I would have to unplug
    the airave and reboot my phone to fix this. But what happens is…. The person I texted, will get about 10 copies of the text I sent. Called sprint airave support..
    Claims they never heard of that problem. B.S. It s all over the net. So I keep it unplugged. Shortly after gotva notice from sprint saying they will add a 140.00 on my next bill if I don’t plug it back in?
    It is going back sprint. The airave has been a headache for me.

September 10, 2012 at 3:39 am

I have some issues with my airwave too. There are some connection issues and I too have the dreaded text send/receive problem. Not all the time but when its bad my EVO LTE is almost unusable. Worked great with my original EVO and great with my 3D as well. I have the GPS hooked up and have a good internet connection.

September 10, 2012 at 5:11 am

Why would Sprint limit the amount of calls and data sessions on the new Sprint Airvana AIRAVE 2.5 to 3 total? This is a huge difference from the previous version’s ability to do a total of 6 data/call sessions at once! I live in a condominium, but anyone who lives in an apartment or otherwise would have sever issues if anyone around them used Sprint! They would have to set up the white list (I only allow my own phone and family phones on my AIRAVE) and disable any phones but their own which would then cause havoc for anyone nearby using Sprint (using an AIRAVE that has the whitelist on causes all Sprint phones in the area to try and connect to the AIRAVE but when it doesn’t get permission the phone keeps trying which causes users to miss calls and not be able to make them within range of the AIRAVE. Sprint needs a better device and solution than 3 calls max, especially if the AIRAVE is going to be in an apartment or large structure! I guess users won’t be getting the AIRAVE for their offices anymore, lol!

September 10, 2012 at 9:32 am

Airvana has its pluses. But when it comes to little details they need to work on it. On my old evo the weather location was always wrong when connected to the airave. On my wifes iphone sometimes she can’t text and when switching from airave to network signal it disconnects 90% of the time(of course its an iphone). On my 3d everything works ok. Of course I still have airvana 2.0 and hopefully it will keep working for a long time.

September 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I have been tempted to get one of these since my house has bad signal at times. YET, I have read of problems with SMS not going through properly at times, etc.

Because of that I have held back. But I am not sure yet.

September 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

I understand the hesitation but if your cell phone is the only thing you use in your house I would get. You’ll most likely get it for free and when you do have issues just shut it off. In my house without it I would have dropped calls all the time. Outside the signal is fine. Hopefully with the new bands sprint plans on using a lot of the inside signal is going to improve.

September 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I have the original Airrave and no issues with my EVO LTE (or EVO 3D). We’d be in trouble without it too, because we have no service where I live.

October 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

This is so weird. I just got my airrave like 2-3 weeks ago and it works perfectly with my evo lte.

Where previously I couldn’t send text messages without having to hit resend multiple times, I can now send texts and talk on the phone for extended periods of time.

I’m going to be counting those lucky stars that it doesn’t start screwing up on me.

November 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

Sprint technical service is not aware of the three-way con-call problem. They suggested I change my network setting to “CDMA” from CDMA/LTE while I am in range of the Airave. Now, 3-way works just fine.

January 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Any updates or resolution to this? Getting the same with an airave 2.0

June 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm

You are Spot on. Airrave is the issue and HTC doesnt realize it. I have notified them as well. Nice job John. You saved me hours of detective work.