Microsoft

Poll: Which Windows Phone 8 handset are you currently eyeing?

Windows Phone 8 handset lineup - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

After months of waiting and speculation, we finally know the full technical details about the first wave of Windows Phone 8 handsets from Samsung, Nokia, and HTC – the three biggest Windows Phone manufacturers. Pricing and availability, however, are another matter, not to mention the actual OS features. Of course, this being Windows Phone, the OS is sure to be almost identical on all three devices. As a result, the real differentiators are related to the hardware and ecosystem.

If screen size and storage capacity is your thing, the Samsung ATIV S is hard to beat. You’re looking at a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display and 32GB of storage. The ATIV S is also the only high-end Windows Phone 8 device to include a microSD card slot (and an SDXC-enabled one at that), so your total possible storage space is actually a whopping 96GB.

Then there’s the Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820, which boast wireless charging, a hyper-sensitive screen which doesn’t detect accidental brushes but works great even through gloves, and a PureView camera. The real draw, however, is the ecosystem, which includes fantastic accessories and must-have exclusive apps. Nokia is even partnering with other companies to bring wireless charging to coffee shops and airport lounges. In short, Nokia’s ecosystem is the one to beat.

Last, but certainly not least, are the Windows Phone 8X and 8S by HTC. These two beautiful devices feature top-notch cameras and Beats Audio. The 8X, in particular, goes head-to-head with the Lumia 920 on camera technology. More importantly, HTC is capitalizing on the Windows Phone brand. As a result, you’ll see the 8X and 8S front-and-center in many Windows Phone advertisements, despite Nokia’s close relationship with Microsoft.

A few months ago, I would have told you that Nokia was the only way to go. But having seen what Samsung and HTC have to offer, the choice isn’t so clear-cut anymore. Which device are you currently eyeing? Cast your vote and then tell us why in the comments!

William Devereux

William Devereux is the former Microsoft editor at Pocketables, as well as a Microsoft MVP and SkyDrive/Outlook.com Insider. As his title implies, he wrote about all things from Redmond, including Windows 8 and Windows Phone. He is currently carrying a Windows Phone 8X by HTC and a Microsoft Surface with Windows RT tablet.

13 thoughts on “Poll: Which Windows Phone 8 handset are you currently eyeing?

Yeah the Samsung is pretty much the better choice out all. With the limited cloud space. At least with the Samsung it takes a 64GB SD

The Samsung’s design is certainly appealing, and I’m sure to go into a store and manhandle a bunch of them, but Nokia seems to always provide the best device experience and applications. I might be able to give up that microSD slot for a better experience.

Agree with lamar. If the HTC had microSD I would be tempted by it. No microSD, no way I would get it. When I go abroad I don’t have the money for roaming charges, so I have to have everything I need – including offline maps as well as music etc on my device. I suppose a 64GB phone might be enough, but I also like the choice to add more as I want.

wow! so far a good response for lumia. it’s my choice too.

I too am only considering the Samsung because of the external storage ability. I need to be able to access my content whenever I’d like and I don’t want to be limited to having service in order to have my movies or music.

I’m considering either the 920 or the 8X. I want something with color, I’ll figure out some way to deal with the limited storage. The deciding factor for me really is the camera and the feel of the device. Once some reviews come out and I can touch one in person ill know for sure (or at least I hope I will).

i too am leaning for the ATIV S for the extra storage 920 second sorry but i have 16GB in my trophy after almost 2 yrs over 12GB used. i expected alittle more on the hardware side. makes me feel like they left room for improvement for next gen phones. would like to be able to carry a spare battery.

I am loyal to HTC. I would go for HTC if I was interested in a Windows phone.

I voted for the htc 8x, but i’m really not sure yet. i want to see some comparisons between the cameras on the 8x and the 920…. i wish either of those phones had the screen size of the samsung…and the micro sd, for that matter!!! they all seem to be “nice” devices, but i’m not looking for “nice”…looking to be blown away!!! especially if i’m going to consider leaving android, back to windows mobile…

I’m another Loyal HTC user. I thought about the SIII but reading text is more pleasant on the EVO LTE’s IPS display. And I read almost all my news on my phone via Pulse.

If Windows phone 8 can be separated from zune the sure I might try it. But recently I was trying to use a friends phone for moving files to a computer without internet connection and the whole system froze up pending I set up Zune!!!

one HUGE feature I need is for my device to function as a flash drive. It’s saved me so many times.

The current rumor is that WP8 will not require the Zune software client. It will instead use standalone Metro and desktop apps.

Windows phone? You are kidding right?

No, no I’m not.