AndroidAppsGood and EVO

google wallet email - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

If you’ve still got a balance left over on your Google Prepaid Card in Google Wallet, then you better spend it before October 17. That’s because Google is discontinuing the Prepaid Card on that date, since Google has already launched the ability to add any major credit or debit card in Google Wallet.

To inform users of this change, Google has been sending emails out to users of the service, and it has also set up a website with answers to frequently asked questions. Luckily, in case you aren’t able to spend the entire card balance before this time, Google will make it easy to request a refund: after October 17, you’ll be able to visit www.google.com/wallet/prepaid-refund to request the balance as a refund. However, it’s unclear whether or not this will apply to promotional balances that you may have gotten when first activating Google Wallet on your device, or whether the refund will only apply towards funds you’ve added yourself.

It’s also noteworthy that if you reset your Google Wallet app right now, the Prepaid Card will disappear, and you will have to contact Money Network yourself to recover any lost funds.

Finally, Google previously charged a $2.00 monthly maintenance fee after 180 days without any transactions. But now, Google will charged the fee after only 30 days with no any transactions, automatically deducted from your Google Prepaid Card balance. However, Google is promising to not charge any fees as long as the balance on the Prepaid Card is spent before October 17.

So, to make things simple, just spend your balance before mid-October, and you’ll be fine. Otherwise, you’ll have some minor headaches to look forward to.

Are you in favor of these changes?

[Google]

John F

24 thoughts on “PSA: Google Wallet to discontinue Prepaid Card option, spend funds before October 17

After Sept. 17th you will not be able to add back the prepaid is what the email says.

• The FAQ on Google’s site say specifically that if you reset Google Wallet now, you won’t be able to add the card back in.

Wattaya gonna believe: An email, or a website? ;>)

seems ok to take away the prepaid option as long as they have the support for all other debit/credit cards-which they do have at least for me.

I kind of figured this is what they would do once they had support for adding your own card. No point in keeping track of another balance…

Now I just have to find a way to spend $0.17 on my Nexus 7 at either McDonalds or Rite Aid, the only two places within 50 miles of where I live that supports Google Wallet.

My GWhas never worked on Sprint, with the LTEvo… >*CRY*<

Whos up for some McDonalds?

I like the prepaid option. I am not tying a full credit card number onto my phone which could be lost or hacked.

Sorry, Google Wallet has lost me as a possible customer.

• If you’re worried about your phone being lost, just set up lock screen security- that way, you have two barriers between the thief and your credit cards (phone lock + GW PIN). Also, Google lets you deactivate Wallet remotely from a computer. Plus all major credit cards have zero liability for fraud. If you’re worried about being hacked, I hope you never pay online or over the phone for anything – ever. :-)

I’ve had my identity stolen before and had to deal with the aftermath. So pardon me if I prefer prepaid options which are easier to control liability with.

Well looks like ill have to find some mcdonalds to waste it away

I’ve never used gw. Pulling out a cc isn’t that much of a hassle.

I guess I will have to hit up McDonalds since its the place where people confirm it tends to go through.
    I have 10 dollars to spend, lol

This certainly didn’t last long. Maybe google saw the error in their ways.

Guess I better use the $3.37 I have left.

It’s hard to find a place in Iowa that takes gw

I dont even use walet. So google is gonna charge me for nou using my wallet? Why dont they just remove the prepaid card? Plus i still have the $10.

• Anyone else concerned about looking like an idiot paying this way?

Actually, everytime I use it the clerk always says
      “that’s pretty cool”

I’m going to use up my money this week. Glad it is finally working on my Evo

i spent the whole $10 the first week i had the phone because it was so cool looking at clerks reactions

Why would they ever get rid of prepaid? That is part of the reason so many people are using G-Wallet!

Who needs a prepaid option when you can put all of your cards onto it? Felt like a beginner-type situation anyway. Now that they’re ready to handle any card, take the prepaid training wheels off.

• I like the prepaid card option. Guess I better use up my last $1.28 I have left.