2012 09 12 12.21.29 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereParanoid Android is a hybrid tablet/phone ROM for the HTC EVO 4G LTE (among many other devices) that combines the best of both and allows you to run your device in whatever mode you choose for whatever application you want.

We’ve covered some Paranoid Android releases in the past on ICS platforms, but it’s now reached fully-functioning status on Jelly Bean for the EVO 4G LTE. There are still some quirks inherent with the AOSP Jelly Bean builds, such as the phone process crashing a couple of times on boot, but that’s relatively minor.

One of the things that got me interested in this particular build, besides that it’s almost complete, was a link to a new AOSP camera that was in the main development post. It has burst mode and some of the features of the Sense camera that have made leaving Sense hard, but it’s still evidently a work in progress.

You’ll need a hacked copy of Google Wallet if you want to run it, as for some reason Wallet simply doesn’t like this ROM.

Benchmarks are a little low on the ROM, and it shows when you transition from app to app. The default kernel, which appears to be built by Notta, is a bit jerky at times, although you can swap that out for the Komodo kernel if you want and get smoother performance. Notta’s kernel works completely, but probably values stability over smoothness, as we’re still relatively early in the Jelly Bean development cycle.

I ran into some issues with some apps hearing me; according to the thread, you have to speak into the top mic for it to listen properly. Also, there’s a top mic on the EVO 4G LTE. You learn something new every day.

Sense keeps pulling me back with the amazing camera, but other than the two or three force closes on startup and the requirement to use a hacked Google Wallet, this ROM seems ready for prime time. It’ll take some additional flashing to make it awesome (camera, kernel, etc.) but it’s worth it.

PA is an amazing ROM build. It’s great to see it’s almost perfected on the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

[xda-developers]
Android OS for PC
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

6 thoughts on “ROM Picks: Evolutionmods Unofficial Paranoid Android 2.10 for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

September 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I applaud the rom developer for his work but I don’t think this is for me. Even at 4.7″ I don’t believe I want to view the tablet interface on my device. Thank you for the review.

September 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Same here. I don’t think tablet mode is for me.

September 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’m actually using this ROM and I’m loving. The tablet look on a 4.7in screen looks amazing. I only ran into one major problem, I don’t think it has anything to do with therom, but doing a factory reset killed my external SD card. I had to reformat my card. Also every time I connect my phone to my computer, it mounts as HTC storage and not my external SD. Other than that the ROM is super smooth running using Komodo kernel and its this ROM is sexy as hell.

September 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Been using this Rom for 2 weeks now. I love the phablet mode the most. Being able to set apps for certain interfaces is nice, especially in Gmail (although I had issues with it at first I had to set the px to 600). The camera app he has linked is nice too. Although not as good as Sense burst mode with perfect shot, the app does have burst mode for a set number of shots 5, 10, 15 ect.

As for Komodo the developer is awesome, and helpful. Replied to my pm’s. Sadly my phone does not like the GPU overclock at all. CPU overclocking is fine, but after rls.02 the kernel has included a GPU overclock that crashes my phone after causing graphical glitches. Some have this issue, others don’t. He did mention that he may release a version without the GPU overclock. I can only hope.

September 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm

For some reason this rom makes my phone get really warm and drains the battery quickly. Not sure why. But I was able to install that camera onto the CMX10 version and it is awesome!! Plus as long as I don’t do the update I can still use my Wallet.

September 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I was tempted to try it but that comment of the battery draining fast kind of puts me off. Any confirmation of this?