AndroidTablets

Samsung announces Jelly Bean plans, 15 devices on the list

jelly bean1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereJelly Bean started rolling out for some Galaxy S III models today, and with that came an announcement from Samsung as to the plans for updating other devices to the latest version of Android. The list includes the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy Mini 2, Galaxy S Duos, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Note 10.1, and Galaxy Music. The Galaxy Music isn’t even announced, so Samsung might have outed a new device with this list.

I personally have two devices on the list, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and the Galaxy S II. I use ICS on the former, but hate it, and have no intention to move from Gingerbread on the latter unless Jelly Bean on the Tab convinces me. Seeing how long it took for Samsung to release the ICS updates, however, I’m not exactly holding any dates for updating. It’s great that the devices are actually getting Jelly Bean, but I won’t be surprised if Android 5.0 is out by the time it actually arrives for all of these devices.

[The Verge]

Andreas Ødegård

Andreas Ødegård is more interested in aftermarket (and user created) software and hardware than chasing the latest gadgets. His day job as a teacher keeps him interested in education tech and takes up most of his time.

13 thoughts on “Samsung announces Jelly Bean plans, 15 devices on the list

At least Samsung offers support on their devices, no matter how late. Some of us are still waiting on ICS for our LG devices.

progress is slowly being made.

• You hate 4.0?

Interesting. I’ve never user it myself, went straight to 4.1 but I love it and the difference can’t be that immense?!

On a sidenote: Mirecast in Android 5 – would be so great!

2nd sidenote: Thanks for the Tasker Tutorials! It’s greatly appreciated!

So when do i see this update hit my sprint SGS3?

Damn… sadly no Galaxy R and Tab 8.9 on the list :( That’s not good!

unless the hardware backs up jellybean, its prowess cannot be felt.

It is nice to see that samsung has not forgot its users even if the updates take forever to roll out

Awesome for Samsung users. I am eagerly waiting for HTC’s announcement though. I wonder which devices will get what…

And I still ICS is a great update, even when some developers stopped caring to update the framework, to make their apps compatible. Google cant stop updating the OS, just so that developers dont stop supporting the apps.

Sammy continues to impress me with their updates for many devices. I got tired of waiting for HTC and Sprint for the much promised and delayed ICS on my EVO 3D.

I don’t feel that manufacturers have to provide OS updates by force, but when they make a promise to upgrade, then they need to keep their work and provide them in a timely manner. People get impatient, even when its free and sometimes that’s all they will remember during their future purchases.

I can’t stand Samsung’s hardware. All that plastic they use. Htc needs to step it up a notch and compete with Samsjng. Htc one x was awesome but lack of micro sd slot and only 16gb of storage killed it. If they could launch an evo on all 4 major carriers. Wonder what htc will do with JB.

• Interesting that their most solidly build, nicest looking and longest lasting (battery) device is not on the list.

Early CM10 builds run like a dream on this device, so hardware cannot be the issue.

EPIC 4G TOUCH!!!!
    Weird battery life on ICS and hopefully BETTER battery than ICS. JELLY BEAN!!!!!!!