Samsung makes good on their promise, sues Apple over LTE

samsung 4G LTE smartphone - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Remember back a couple of weeks ago when Samsung threatened to sue Apple if the company dared release the next iPhone with LTE technology? Well, turns out they weren’t kidding. According to “industry sources,” Samsung has already “decided to take immediate legal action against the Cupertion-based Apple. Countries in Europae [sic] and even the United States – Apple’s home-turf – are our primary targets.”

Samsung Wireless charger

Samsung obviously took part in the development of LTE, but certainly doesn’t hold all the relevant patents. However, it is still possible that it could cause some trouble or delay for Apple’s smartphone, although an outright ban is incredibly unlikely. But even if Samsung did get a temporary ban, it would likely not be before the release and sale of plenty of the new iPhones. Of course, HTC also holds some LTE related patents, and they are already in a dispute with Apple where LTE is involved. While I don’t think an outright ban is possible for such a big product as the iPhone, it will be interesting to see the outcome of these lawsuits.

It may be tempting for Android fans to cheer at Apple getting a taste of its own medicine, but as most tech bloggers (and even Steve Wozniak) agree, the patent wars aren’t doing anything for consumers. Although I’m not a huge fan of Apple, I don’t want to see the company prevented from including a fundamental technology like LTE in its phones. That isn’t good for progress, and doesn’t do consumers any good at all.

[Android and Me]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Aaron Orquia

Aaron Orquia is an associate editor at Pocketables. He has been using Android and Linux since he bought his first computer years ago, and his interest in technology, software, and tweaking both to work just right has only grown stronger since then. His current gadgets include a OnePlus One, a Pebble smartwatch, and an Acer C720 Chromebook.

Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Aaron | Subscribe to Aaron's posts

23 thoughts on “Samsung makes good on their promise, sues Apple over LTE

September 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Part of me wants to say it serves them right. But I agree these patent wars are stoopid.

September 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Exactly my thought. Apple was an aggressor in the patent wars so sometimes it is nice to see them attacked, but at the same time I want the lawsuits to end altogether.

September 17, 2012 at 5:51 am

I have too agree its stoopid i hate stoopid stoopid stuff

September 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Im on samsungs side,mostly androids anyways. I agree sueing isnt a way to settle it but hope apple gets what they deserve. :P

September 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

If only the iPhone 5 had 4G. Samsung would of still sue apple against the Lightning port. Kinda looks like a micro usb

September 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I’m for the suit, if apple can manipulate the patent system, why shouldn’t everyone I don’t think it will have any effect on us the consumer, let’s just hope samsung got some new lawyers

September 14, 2012 at 2:59 am

This patent sueing is different as it is for a technological innovation – which if they haven’t licensed is 100% wrong. Sueing because an item looks similar or has a similar functionality is less clear but is right to do as well. The problem I had was that Apple shouldn’t have had this patent in the first place.

September 14, 2012 at 5:51 am

To clarify the above – I meant the patent(s) that Apple sued Samsung for violating. I can see that the exact way of bouncing back could be patented, but not any of the others.

September 14, 2012 at 7:13 am

Apple needs a taste of their own medicine, this serves them right. Maybe it’ll teach them a lesson.

September 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

Isn’t HTC involved in the lawsuit, too? I thought I read that somewhere.

September 14, 2012 at 8:17 am

I have to agree with the majority…Apple deserves to be sued. When they claim innovations and then want companies to license the usage from them, they should practice what they preach and do the same.

September 14, 2012 at 10:27 am

I had to wait extra to get my EVO 4G LTE, that’s when it stopped being civil for me O_o

September 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Between moto, htc and samsung they could probably put the hurt on apple but realistically it will probably just cost samsung more money in the end

September 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Can’t say that Apple doesn’t deserve it, it does feel good to have them under some heat for once. But seriously, these patents are ridiculous….good bye cheap Electronics.

September 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm

We’ll see what happens. As you guys states, it makes me happy. But at the same time this is getting stupid.

September 15, 2012 at 6:00 am

Look, Fuck Apple, fuck the plane apple flew in on, fuck they new charge ports, fuck they small ass screen’s and they shiney metal back, fuck yo gay ass merry-fuckin’ ios, fuck them cheap ass headphones, fuck yo logo, fuck yo retina display, fuck yo iTunes, fuck Steve Jobs, fuck Tim Cook, fuck the Queen. This is Android. My mascot is GREEN and my SCREENS are BIG, nigga. Now get the fuck out my screen. And if I see you in the street I’m slappin’ the shit out of your hand

September 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm

This guys post ^ is 100% EPIC WIN.

September 17, 2012 at 7:53 pm

(referring to “eh im gonna get loose”)

September 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

lol. in the near future i see phone manufacturers having patent wars on functions like calling and text messaging.
    * your dialpad looks exactly like mine. i’ll sue you for that! *

September 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I find all these lawsuits amazing. Either the chief executives are ridiculously difficult to deal with, are accepting terrible advice from their attorneys, are completely amoral, or have no worthwhile judgement of their own. While all these corporations are obviously in competition with one another, there should/mus be relatively painless and reasonable ways to come to agreement with one another without it always resulting in law suits or the risk of conspiracy charges. It is difficult to believe that such agreements would cost more than the law suits themselves along with the corporate delays and compromises caused by the methods currently being followed. Has anyone at any of these huge corporations bothered to perform cost analyses of the possibilities, much less of the current path? All this litigation must be terribly expensive. However, it certainly is stimulating the civil legal economy.

September 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Based in the UK, I note that Apple are only launching the iPhone 5 on a single LTE band,1800, other spectrum bands will be used by O2 and Vodafone next year, which leaves the field open for Samsung and others to get ahead. Maybe there won’t be a need for a legal challenge here as Apple seem to have shot themselves in the foot!