USNV’s iTelligent puts optics on your Galaxy S III, iPhone, iPad

usnv itelligent - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Ever been annoyed at your phone camera for being useless at night? If you have, you can now buy an adapter for the Galaxy S III, iPad or iPhone 4/4s/5 that lets you attach professional optics on your phone – or should I say attach your phone to professional optics, as the optics we’re talking about here aren’t small. The adapters works with AN/PVS-14, AN/PVS-15, and AN/PVS-7 & FLIR Recom M2 standards, as well as others via adapters. I don’t really know exactly what that means, but the examples on the product page show the adapter being used with night vision equipment as well as monoculars.

This is obviously very specialized equipment, made for being used with equipment far more expensive than anything the average consumer would buy, so I won’t pretend to know what I’m talking about. I do however find this to be a very interesting use for the high quality cameras we find in today’s smartphones. If you already have the equipment and the phone, putting them together for some night vision/long range action seems like an excellent idea.

[US Night Vision]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Andreas Ødegård

Andreas Ødegård is more interested in aftermarket (and user created) software and hardware than chasing the latest gadgets. His day job as a teacher keeps him interested in education tech and takes up most of his time.

9 thoughts on “USNV’s iTelligent puts optics on your Galaxy S III, iPhone, iPad

September 26, 2012 at 10:18 am

They are WAY out there on the price $199.00 :-0.

September 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

I thought so too at first, but then I realized the case is holding up the attached optics. You don’t want some cheap crap doing that. Still expensive, but at least less so

September 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

If only I had some extra cash. These would be fun to mess with.

September 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Sure seems like an awesome concept, if only I had the need for something like that, plus the money.

September 27, 2012 at 3:18 am

Well I could see a use maybe for a hunter? Someone that goes out in the wood, and as the ad says, you can take a picture so you can probably also record. So if you want to record somehow your shot or your experience, I guess maybe its a good investment?

I dont see a personal use, but I am sure there is a niche market out there.

September 27, 2012 at 5:41 am

Cool? Yes. Practical?….ehhh. It’s a good idea in theory but really really don’t see the usefulness of this. Most common consumers would have no need for this and it is quite large meaning carrying it around would be a pain. Professional photographers might use it but I feel like they would have better cameras to use and maybe only use this for occasional reason. Still a smart idea though, and while the price is high it’s a fair price for quality equipment.

September 27, 2012 at 6:08 am

frankly i wouldn’t go to the length of doing that just to take some night time photos. i’d rather save up that money so that i can afford to buy a nokia lumia 920. but that is just my opinion.

it’s great to see the unlimited number of things we can do with our phones with the help of accessories

September 27, 2012 at 9:52 am

Don’t take my first comment as saying it is worthless, it has it uses, and being a shooter, not having to move out of a shooting position to look through the spotting scope would be great. I just feel $199 for a little piece of plastic is OUT THERE.

Look at a cell phone case, some, if not most of them have a heck of a lot more material and are WAY WAY Cheaper. Of course we complain about their cost too. :-)

If the cost came down it, I could see buying one.

November 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm

First of all, thank you for the great article Andreas, you pretty much hit the nail on the head that many of the optics we are currently attaching to are high end in their particular field. We are however shifting our focus to main stream consumers with the introduction of our i37 and s37 kits that are now available (follow this link for more info: http://www.usnightvision.com/iTelligenti37DigitalMediaSystem.aspx).

Our optics adapters are machined with incredible precision to be sure there is a solid connection between the smart device and the optic it is being attached to. Our original market was for military and law enforcement use with our Night Vision and Thermal products but after seeing the amazing imagery that can be captured through other high end optics we have continued to steadily broaden what our adapter attaches to.

With our i37 (iPhone 4/4S) as well as the s37(Samsung Galaxy S III) line we are giving consumers an entry level kit that enhances the phones already stellar cameras by attaching a 37mm wide angle lens to it as we’ll as a 2.2x telephoto lens. On top of that you get a fantastic portable tri pod and now have our optics adapter which allows you to connect your phone to an ever growing list of optics. Check out our YouTube channel to see what we’ve been able to capture, http://www.youtube.com/usnvcorp, or follow us on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/usnightvision to see some recent pics of the moon through a Swarovski spotting scope attached to the New iPad. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

Thank you all for your comments on our product, we appreciate your input.