AndroidSoftware UpdatesTablets

Android 4.1.2 update rolling out to AOSP and the Nexus 7 today

nexus 7 4 1 2 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

It may not be as exciting as the next Nexus, but Google’s chief release engineer Jean-Baptiste Queru has just announced a new version of Android that will roll out to Nexus 7 owners and be released to AOSP today. The updated OS, Android 4.1.2, still goes by the name of Jelly Bean, and includes a number of small bugfixes and a couple of new features.

The most obvious new feature for Nexus 7 owners is the ability to use the stock launcher in landscape mode, which was one of the few missing features that annoyed me about the Nexus 7.

The rest of the fixes are behind the scenes, and are simply said to “improves performance and stability and fixes bugs.” However, there was also a little bit of code added for compatibility for a different power management chip found in newer Nexus 7 units.

The update hasn’t automatically found its way to my Nexus 7 yet, but it is available for download from Google for those interested in updating their devices early. Landscape mode in the launcher is the biggest new feature for me, as it will allow me to return to using the stock launcher instead of Nova.

Other than that, the update isn’t really a big enough deal for me to take the trouble of manually updating my tablet, but the added stability and performance are certainly welcome.

[Android Community]

Aaron Orquia

Aaron Orquia is an associate editor at Pocketables. He has been using Android and Linux since he bought his first computer years ago, and his interest in technology, software, and tweaking both to work just right has only grown stronger since then. His current gadgets include a OnePlus One, a Pebble smartwatch, and an Acer C720 Chromebook.

Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Aaron | Subscribe to Aaron's posts

17 thoughts on “Android 4.1.2 update rolling out to AOSP and the Nexus 7 today

• I downloaded from the link provided… how do I install??

• Has anyone installed new update using the download provided?? I downloaded but I only get a data file. Cant find a launcher in the file…

HAHA I guess u guys are not like me… I see theres an update and I DONT KNOW JUST TO DO WITH IT!!!

Haven’t received a notification but YES – LANDSCAPE MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven’t had any bugs with Jelly Bean and the Nexus 7 but love the update. Thanks!!

Also love how they are releasing to AOSP right away. HTC has been waiting MONTHS, or the maximum time to do so. FAIL!

• Android’s just getting better and better. Wish other companies would take the hint and update their devices as quickly.

The only reason it pure nexus devices get updated so quickly is because there is no carrier interference.

Glad to see there is a commitment to improving the functionality of this device.

Finally. I think the next nexus will be 4.2. Since google is waiting for devices to catch up to 4.1

Looks like a good update, but I wonder what will be next one and what updates will it bring.
    4.2? maybe 5.0

Maybe I will have a new nexus 7 from here to check it out ;)

Its odd they didn’t include landscape mode from the off. 7 inches is big enough to warrant it in my opinion.

I personally don’t see the big deal with landscape but apparently a lot of people do so good job google!

Anyone get the notification to update yet? Or a time around it would be?

I haven’t gotten it yet, so I’m still trying to be patient.

I just didn’t know seeing as tho I was rooted and didn’t know if I wasn’t getting the push because of that reason. But unrooted and used the image found on the dev site and it’s running alright. The first few minutes of using are kinda laggy but after that it’s smooth as butter ;)

Good to know that when I get my Nexus 7 from pocketables, I will be getting a more stable tablet! :D

I got notification and it updated fine. Landscape mode is pretty cool. Other than that, not that big a deal for an update