AndroidAppsGood and EVO

Android 4.2 Keyboard pulled from Nexus 4 image and released to the public

gesture typing - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereIf you’ve got a hankering to try some software from the next version of Android, it’s been pulled from Nexus 4 and is available for Sense, AOSP, Touchwiz and most other Ice Cream Sandwich flavors of Android and above.

In other words, you must be running Android 4.0 or greater, and you should probably have a nandroid backup if you’re rooted. Installable apk versions, as well as flashable .zips, are available for download now.

The new keyboard from Google includes gesture typing (ala Swype) and integrated voice typing. While the current release of the keyboard is probably not how it’s going to look in the final release of Android 4.2, it’s a working Swype competitor with a mean penchant for understanding what you say.

If you decide to give it a go, let me know what you think of it and what ROM you’re running.

[Android Police]

Paul E King

26 thoughts on “Android 4.2 Keyboard pulled from Nexus 4 image and released to the public

Paul any chance of doing a comparison between Swype, the new SwifKey, and the new Android keyboards?

Possibly tonight – can’t use my phone for anything but a phone until sometime tonight. Will see if I can’t do some sort of breakdown.

yh this would be interesting.
      Not sure what you mean by “its been pulled from nexus 4”

Sorry, I meant it was extracted from a Nexus ROM containing the next Android version.

• I got that just fine

• Hmm, it’ll be hard to pull me away from Swiftkey and the upcoming Swiftkey Flow, but I’ll give it a shot.

• A video showcasing this keyboard would be cool.

• The Verge YouTube channel has a video featuring this keyboard along with the Nexus 4 and 10.

Its actually really good.. i feel like im typing normal again on my LTEvO..

The sense keyboard on the evo lte was okay for some time….but it feels way too crowded. I always go with stock android keyboards if I can manage lol I really wanted the new sense one to be great but….never is.

u hit the nail on the head.. it felt crowded.. and i would make alot of mistakes.. i am a fast writer and the faster the better, the less mistakes.. but with that keyboard i would always have to backspace.. with this one its great

I feel ya on that. On sense keyboards I constant end up with v’s or c’s in between words likevthis orcthis. On android keyboards I can type two or three times as fast. Android auto corrects those errors and has really good prediction, then automatically puts a space after the word it corrects.

HTC: Space between letters is a great thing. It’s something I’ve seen on pretty much every high rated keyboard. Give those keys some space! Also make the keys wider. No matter how many times I do the calibration I get the same errors.

my C’s or N’s would get replaced with a space so instead of typing almanac it would come out alma ac lol.. shit drove me crazy

They’ve already took them down. I really wanted to try it out on my 3vo

Thanks allot man I couldn’t get the other links too work right yesterday!! whats the trick to using that as your main keyboard?

• Toggle it to “on” under your text input settings, then the next time you’re in a text box pull down the notification bar and press the change input method and select Android Keyboard

Pretty cool, Im running it on my Evo 3D running the JB PA AOKP mashup.. works great. I think they could pick a better font for the word that follows the trace though.

Swype seems to have recently found some stiff competition.

I tried swype for a while, I already like this more haha

Not a swype fan… Maybe this will change my mind

Thanks Nelson for the link. I’m using it right now. it looks like it used swiftkeys memory too because all my slang words are popping up in the word prediction bar.sweet!

• I’ve never been a fan of swype but I’m loving this keyboard so far.

Thanks Samson for the link!

• i have the evo LTE I downloaded the apk and the flashable zip and my keyboard is still the same?? how do i change it?? anyone have the LTE that can help please?