Disarmed Toaster 0.2.0 brings cameras, bluetooth, AOSP to the HTC EVO 3D

jbagrabren - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Agrabren’s Disarmed Toaster is an unofficial CyanogenMod 10, Paranoid Android, and AOKP work in progress that aims to bring the Android Jelly Bean platform to the GSM and CDMA versions of the HTC EVO 3D. We’ve covered some of the development in the past, but a new update was released that includes three platforms (since they’re all the same base) and working cameras.

What doesn’t work (as listed by the developer): MP3 playback fails, intermittent data loss, WiFi tether fails, no 3D video or display, no FM radio, and the Aroma installer is listed as being finicky. It’s also worth noting that the AOKP rom install does not work on CDMA versions at the moment. The developer knows and is working on a patch as I write this.

If you can live with those bugs and lack of features and are interesting in running a bleeding edge ROM, Disarmed Toaster is where it’s at at the moment.

If you’re on a CDMA EVO 3D, to get the ROM you’ll click on the link below go to the download link, choose the mirror download and choose the ROM that has “shooter” as the last part of the name. ShooterU is for the GSM versions and will not work on a CDMA EVO.

It’s also worth noting that if you’re S-ON you are going to either need to flash the kernel modules via fastboot, Flash Image GUI, or via a recovery that supports flashing kernels on S-ON devices.

Make sure to make a nandroid backup before flashing as this is still a work in progress and does not work for everyone. If you flash this, let us know how it works for you.

[xda-developers]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

34 thoughts on “Disarmed Toaster 0.2.0 brings cameras, bluetooth, AOSP to the HTC EVO 3D

October 5, 2012 at 6:07 am

What doesn’t work – all the important stuff by the sounds of things

October 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

Aye. MP3, Data, and Tether not working? Count me out. And I assume that working cameras still excludes working 3D camera (it only mentions video)?

I’m still trying to settle on a new ROM after being disappointed with MIUI :(

October 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

data works, just occasionally goes away for a bit.
      Working camera does exclude 3d.

October 5, 2012 at 8:35 am

I’ve got Jelly Bean (Team DIRT) on my OG Evo that sounds like it works better than this.

October 5, 2012 at 8:57 am

Got to admit I’m a bit surprised by the negativity. There is no CMX/AOKP/ETC for the 3D right now except for this.

The data is an intermittent thing meaning it usually works, the 3D nobody supports in AOSP, the only real issue at dev point is the mp3 playback. Thing has an AOSP camera working in JB and that’s a major accomplishment,

October 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

There actually is a nice CM10 ROM over at anthrax kernels where everything works except for the camera and 3D.

October 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

This is awesome!!! Thanks for the article – I thought he stopped supporting CDMA, so I wouldn’t have checked his GSM thread. I’m surprised by the negative reactions too – working camera for the 3d is huge.

October 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

The developer just pulled the CDMA builds fyi :(

October 5, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hopefully to fix the issues listed above?

This looks like it’s nearly there, and I’ll likely take the plunge. I’ve been waiting for 4G, Bluetooth, and Camera.

Two questions. First: Is AOKP really that better/different than AOSP? I haven’t used either for any appreciable amount of time.

Secondly: MP3 playback? Is this even with third party solutions that it doesn’t work, or just the stock player?

October 5, 2012 at 10:56 am

As stated by Agrabren:

“All of the locations I upload have had the CDMA builds removed, and the mirror is now back up on the OP. And sorry if I wasn’t clear, I won’t be publishing CDMA builds anymore. I haven’t been supporting the builds I make for a while, but because I don’t feel like fighting constantly to keep CDMA available, I’ve removed it from the publish scripts and mirrors. Sorry.”

This is a sad day indeed for us CDMA users.

October 7, 2012 at 11:14 am

From what I was told, he had a choice, support it, and comply with GPL or pull it… and he decided to pull it…. bottom line… he did have a choice…

October 5, 2012 at 11:23 am

I was lucky enough to download the CDMA version right before he took it down. Not sure if I’m going to install if this is it, though.

October 6, 2012 at 10:52 am

His (Agrabren’s) decision to pull the CDMA build back in the beginning of the “Devil Toast” development was a childish one, and his multiple threats to block Anthrax kernels from booting, even though they have proven to fix bugs weeks in advance of “coming soon” promises keeps me away from anything related to him.

and sure, Camera is a big deal…but the loss of MP3 playback, an even BIGGER DEAL in my opinion kills any praise.

October 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Well…there is a fix for the MP3 playback already available.

October 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Do no mp3 playback is basically just songs you have on ur phone? Or does it effect pandora slacker radio and other music playing programs.

October 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Mr. Goodman, is that you? lol. Things are getting downright perplexing aren’t they?

I’m truly baffled how people are standing behind this ROM while saying “Then don’t use it” while ignoring the potential danger and hypocrisy of it all.

I get why people are pissy about your methods, whether you are completely in the right or not I’m not arguing that at all, but those same people can totally ignore an actual DANGEROUS scenario without blinking while hailing “He can do what he wants”… it’s madness!

October 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This isnt even about antrhax, or my kernel
          this is about ANY kernel that kevin bruckert (agrabren) didnt sign or whitelist.

Flashing ANY kernel causes the rom to loop, this causes overheating, and that causes physical damage… even with the source agrabren provided…

several users reported this overheating issue, agrabren finally admitted to it, and XDA’s reply is “he can do what he wants in his rom”

So, XDA knows his methods of kernel blocking can brick your phone, and they still stand behind him and support him.

It was proven he lied to his users about this, and XDA still allows it with NO punishment.

Team Association must be worth a lot on XDA.

October 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

oh ya, to add to my previous message,
            Agrebren posted about stopping development before he lets anyone steel his work. TWO xda moderators posted in public for ALL to see, you cant steel open source work (AOSP = Android OPEN SOURCE project). and who is steeling his work? I have always had fixes to his rom out weeks before him.

He also said some stuff about giving back to the community…blah..blah.. but yet, he keeps his AOSP rom, even the GPL licensed parts of CM10 100% private, and he dont share with anyone.

When he needs a fix from my kernel, he cries bloody murder, but when other AOSP/CM10 developers want a fix from him… he keeps his stuff secured and private…

What is with the double standards?

and about me spreading rumors about him and GPL… do your own research and read BOTH FAQs @ gpl-violations.org and gnu.org.

October 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

One last post…
    agrebren told a few users that it was MY kernel breaking their phones and causing the overheat issue.
    If one one still has the CDMA version – build a kernel from source using the github site agrabren linked to… or flash any other kernel besides mine.. and you will get that same heat issue that will brick your phone.

Anything to make me look bad huh??

October 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

That’s really messed up. I trust devs when i download their work. The times that I have been burned by bad roms, it was a mistake.

This dude baked into his rom a feature that can make your phone over heat? That is so toxic to a community of people who like to eff around with their phones a lot. especially trying out new kernels.

I dont recommend downloading SHADY-WARE from agrabren.

October 9, 2012 at 7:07 am

This man is a talented developer but android is and should always be open Source. A few other devs have tried to contact him to share his work and he does not respond. What chad g. Said, does not want anyone to steal his work……IMO, I would not want to isolate myself from other devs, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Keep up the good work and ……..share.

October 9, 2012 at 10:41 am

Are you talking about Agraben or Chad G? you weren’t clear about who is or isn’t sharing work.

October 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

He’s talking about Agraben and his camera fix. There has been several individuals including myself that have PM him and said “hey you would mind sharing this camera fix” and have got no response from him.

This becomes an issue where he (Agraben) claims he’s all for open source and all this other crap BUT yet he holds on to things and unwilling to share.

I don’t have a problem with him holding on to his “work” BUT don’t be a hypocrite and act like you’re the poster boy for open source when in fact he does the same thing he attacks Chad for.

October 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Rev, I replied to the article. Come on. I am not a developer but have been hacking my devices since windows mobile 6.0. I have A pretty solid knowledge about the concepts And development practices. Its his choice to or not to share but its not in good taste not to.

October 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

….Oohhkaay?

I didn’t insult your intelligence or attack you in any way. I simply asked who you were referring to. Your punctuation was wrong, so I wasn’t sure if you where talking about Chad or Agraben.

Since both developers have been accused of not sharing, that is also why I asked.

October 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Oh no. Its all good. I am all about unity man.

October 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I only see the shooteru release. Not shooter, which is the CDMA version.
    Any suggestions?

October 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm

A peaceful agreement has been reached. This is a good day for all users…

October 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Even though, the method of Agrabren blocking my kernel did cause over heating – I want everyone to know Agrabren and myself worked out our differences – and everything between us has been resolved. He also unblocked 3rd party kernels..and I will say this rom rocks w/ my kernel :)

October 11, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I had to go and verify your IP as I thought this was a joke / my flu meds kicking my ass.

So, what happened?

October 12, 2012 at 6:33 pm

long story – but he came into a thread of mine on XDA at the same time as others that was accusing me of things… and he wanted GPL complaince – and, since this was after I asked to have my account removed from XDA, (and several hours before I was banned) – I kinda went off on him.. it was a “wrong place at the wrong time thing”

we had a chat that was moderated by people from both sides – and we both were at fault – we decided to forgive – and move on.

October 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I don’t have much experience using custom roms, but I get the idea of what’s going on here. In my opinion, anytime someone goes out of his way to screw users over just to get back at someone he’s got issues with, you might want to think twice before using or trusting his code. Purposefully bricking peoples phones just because you can’t have your way, is beyond childish… It’s criminal. If it had happened to me, I wouldn’t necessarily stop at name calling and complaining to any kind of moderator or authority. I’d be wanting to put my foot up his ass.

So my advice to anyone here reading this article : don’t go near this dudes roms unless you’ve got the skills to fix what you broke. And yes, despite his rom doing the bricking, if you knew his reputation and still used his rom, then it’s your own damn fault when your phone is now a paper weight.

Z