AndroidGood and EVO

jelly bean small - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereHTC has announced that the HTC One S and One X will both receive OTA updates this month that will bring Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and the latest version of Sense – 4+ – to the devices. Sense 4+ features a number of improvements over the previous version of Sense, 4.1, mostly to the camera software.

Most notably, Sense 4+ features a self portrait mode for the front-facing camera that detects faces and “applies subtle enhancements to skin and eyes,” as well as a sightseeing mode that enables one-touch access to the camera, bypassing the lock screen. (I really could have used that during my recent vacation!)

In addition to these camera enhancements, there are also two new gallery views that group media by location and date, and HTC Watch has been updated to 2.0, bringing with it a new Video Hub and access to additional content from popular providers. Another neat feature will be Tap and Go, which uses NFC (if available) to connect the device to selected Beats Audio speakers.

It should be noted that even though HTC expects to have the update ready this month, it might take carriers a little longer to push it out to their respective customers. There’s also no official word on the HTC EVO 4G LTE, but if previous updates are any indication, EVO users should expect the same update around the same time.

[Android Police: 1, 2]

John F

46 thoughts on “HTC One S and One X (and possibly EVO 4G LTE) will get Jelly Bean and Sense 4+ this month

Pretty sweet. I hated ICS and am actually running my phone on GB but JB is fan-fricking-tastic on the N7 and I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be just as great on those phones.

• How could you not like ICS, but love JB? They are essentially the same thing, but with a smoother interface. And in all honesty, I already feel ICS is pretty smooth (and smoother than GB).

I suppose because ICS is somewhat slow and cluttered – almost an alpha build of JB. JB is “butta”.

• I’m trying to wait patiently, getting close to failing.

• OK, I need some guidance.

I used the HTC Dev root method. I have software version 1.22.651. I have not installed any ROM’s.

When the OTA update is eventually available…should I take it or will that mess things up?

Thanks for your help, community.

It will un-root your phone.. just be patient there are alot of great Dev teams that will have their own roms when JB is released. Alot of people like MeanRom.. i personally love Viper4G 2.0

can’t wait. I like to switch ROM’s alot but haven’t really done any of the JB’s ones yet because of the sense camera. I know Dev’s will be able to have that now when it’s released :)

Don’t know about you guys, but I was playing with my old evo 3d and I really like the newer sense package that is installed on it. Hopefully there is some similarity to it on the lte. Oh and restore the music enhancements too! Unless someone knows where HTC hid them. I tried quick shortcut maker, it’s listed but I can’t figure out how to access it.

The HTC EVO 4G LTE is superior to the One S and One X, or just for the sake of argument we can say it is the same, yet it is always treated like a second class citizen.

Why is HTC announcing a Jelly Bean update for the One S and One X but not the EVO?

Also, if you look at HTC’s Facebook and Twitter page, you see the One series and Windows phone spammed all over the place, but the EVO is nowhere to be found!

• Probably make more money pushing any other carrier aside from Sprint. Losing a lot of respect for Sprint.

• Actually, it’s probably because the One series is on multiple carriers, thus more money. I suspect it will hit for the EVO soon after the One release.

To actually be superior it needs to run on a network that actually works on more than one street corner on 10 or 20 cities in the US. The lte will go down as a huge flop due to the fact it has no network. However it will be a great phone to pick up used off contract in about a year when sprint actually has its network working.

I think that it’s pretty safe to say that HTC will push JB out to the EVO as well at the same time. If not, they risk enraging EVO owners, myself included.

Yea and I don’t see them wanting that after the freemyevo thing with customs lol don’t mess with us or we will tweet the hell out of you.

Hmm, so it’s possible the Evo will get Jelly Bean before the Galaxy S3? That’s probably good for HTC

• I hope HTC starts making an effort soon. Otherwise an S3 will be in my near future

• To be honest I’m not worried about them having it ready for the EVO, it’s getting it past Sprint that will take a while…

• Awesome! This means JB MeanRom!

This is the email I received from HTC reguarding Jelly Bean for Evo 4g LTE.

We know HTC fans are excited to get their hands on Google’s latest version of Android. At this point in time, we can confirm that we have plans to upgrade our HTC One X, HTC One XL and HTC One S to Jelly Bean. Please stay tuned for more updates regarding device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Jelly Bean.

If they don’t get Jelly Bean out before the SGS3 in the US I’ll be purchasing a Samsung phone next time. I love HTC but they have let me down in the past two years. And if they hold onto the Jelly Bean update in order to push some users to the X+ I’ll be actively campaigning against them, however I don’t think that will happen. My biggest quips are shoddy update schedules, non-removable small batteries, crappy antenna performance and no SD support (exempt on my EVO LTE). They seem to be preferring form over usage factor and not listening to their customers!

Believe me, the HTC antennas are much better than Samsung. I’ll get 1 bar on my GSII where I used to get 3-4 bars on my Evo 4G and my wife will get 4 bars on her iphone5.

• I’m hoping they push it out as well. But even if they don’t, I’m sure the rom community will be able to port it over. They are almost the same phones, but the Evo is the better with it’s added features.

I’d be ecstatic if we got Jelly Bean before the GS3 but sadly i still don’t see it happening. I’m betting we won’t see it for the Evo 4G LTE until around Thanksgiving time at the earliest

• Is anyone else getting sick of the EVO LTE getting treated like a stepchild? When anyone mentions benchmarks its all about the One X and the SG3, Playstation certified phones? One X, One V, and One S. I don’t get it at all. On paper at least the EVO LTE is a beast hardware wise over the X, but its like HTC doesn’t even acknowledge that they made the EVO LTE. I love this phone and by far is THE best handset I have owned to date. Look at the HTC’s Twitter timeline when is the last time they mentioned the LTE? Its been months I bet. I’m not so sure my next handset will be a HTC device

Well said Feech. I’m with you on everything, but I don’t think this will necessarily make me jump ship for my next phone purchase. This didn’t happen with the OG EVO I owned, as everyone knew about that phone. With the EVO LTE, it just seems like both Sprint and HTC (or other media) just doesn’t advertise or mention the phone much if at all anymore. As long as we keep getting timely updates (there’s still an issue with LTE on the phone) and the eventual JB update, I’m good.

• a22matic, you are right it didn’t happen with the OG EVO but why is that? It was the first 4G device in the US and it was the first 4″ screen in the US. At the time it was in the best interest of HTC and Sprint to pump that thing and they did to the max.

True, and HTC cannot compete with the mega marketing onslaught Samsung has been putting on. I would like to see HTC at least try though… If I see that dang SIII infomercial before I watch a movie at the theater again I’ll… :)

• I have been waiting for this. Been trying to not root yet, will see if need to after the update.

As my understanding goes the One X and the EVO LTE are the same phone

Don’t worry about an official jb release.
    Just root your phone and flash one of the
    many jb roms that will be out by then.
    In my experience with aosp roms?
    Normally they run much smoother than stock.
    And with different kernels to try?
    I bet your battery life can almost double.

I cannot wait to get Jelly Bean and Google Now on my Evo LTE. Hopefully it is this month.

Don’t leave out the one v!

• Hey guysI’m installing an update for my HTC evo 4g lte
    Jelly bean here I come

• Nope I was wrong wonk wonk

This is why root is a must for me, cause I know as soon as the one x gets jelly bean there will be a port for the LTE soon after. While I can run and have tried a few jelly bean roms I have personally always preferred sense to stock Android. But one important fact I didn’t see mentioned in this article is that HTC said the update would be available for international versions this month not the US versions, which makes me think it’ll be that much longer til we see it.

Which custom rom are you running right now? Do you feel like all your google wallet information is still secure? I was always rooted on my Hero and OG Evo but for some reason I’m nervous about rooting and having Google wallet running…

I was running miklatte, now I’m currently on meanrom. I wouldn’t feel secure if it wasn’t for how well known and respected both developers of those roms were. I really don’t visit xda anymore instead I head over to themikmik.com, there are tons of people developers and themers who all are very helpful and don’t really ever see all the noob hating. If your thinking of rooting and want a few options I suggest heading over there, they also have a forum app which might be a little easier to navigate just search themikmik on the playstore and see what options you have.

Should be cool, but I wouldn’t say I’m dying for it

• I’m not worried. My phone works great. If I get an upgrade that’s better, but when I buy a phone I expect it not to be upgradeable.

Clearly HTC has some they need people to think the X is best of breed, and they needed a great product for Sprint that was even better. The result is clearly we get a great phone but it’s like being in the Fight Club; no one is talking about it.

• I hope we get it soon too! I just got JB on my Transformer Prime. I haven’t messed with Google Now that much. I am using SpeaktoitAssistant which I love. But I don’t notice much difference from ICS but it seems a little faster and people say there getting no ANR on the browser and were getting several before.

Hopefully the EVO LTE receives it aswell. I would hate to see it get delayed because Sprint holds it back.

I truly cant wait to mess with it!

I have an EVO 4G LTE and I am starting to scare myself with the daily check to see if the update is out yet. Is there counseling available for this?

• I hope the gap less playback option is everything I’ve been dreaming of.

October is almost over, the update must be coming soon!

• October 31st…still no update.