AndroidTablets

Jelly Bean update breaks alarm clock on ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity

transformer pad infinity 2 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

One of the most important features on any Android device – and one that we often take for granted – is the alarm clock. Gone are the days when I owned a separate alarm clock; I rely on my phone or tablet to wake me up on time each morning. And if they don’t, well, I’m screwed.

Unfortunately, when major OTA updates are released for Android devices, they have a horrible tendency to break things, and the Jelly Bean update for the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700) is no exception. And this time, it broke the beloved alarm clock.

Users have been reporting that, when the tablet is docked and closed, the alarm clock will make a short “chirping” sound, and then be completely silent. When turning on the screen, users note that the regular alarm dialogue appears, asking users to dismiss or snooze – but the alarm itself is completely silent; the tablet won’t even vibrate.

Obviously, this is a big deal – and I’m wondering how many people were late for work the next day after accepting the Jelly Bean update. Luckily, if you’re experiencing this yourself, you’re not crazy – and you’re not alone. I just hope ASUS fixes this ASAP.

John F

7 thoughts on “Jelly Bean update breaks alarm clock on ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity

• Seriously, what is it with QA on mobile devices? This should be a basic test case.

So is this just with the stock alarm clock? Seems like a simple thing to fix if third party apps work

• The more widely reports of problems are spread, the more likely bugs like this will be fixed in a timely fashion. Thanks, Pocketables (and John).

• I can just imagine people going into work and saying “sorry my tablet didn’t wake me up”, with the older staff being like “wtf, I have tablets to help me sleep not wake me up”

I was unaware people used alarms on tablets.

HA.

Anyway – the should definitely QA this kind of thing a bit more.

I’ve been having this issue as well. Being that my tablet is my only smart device, its my only alarm and I need this fixed asap. Called Asus about it earlier today to see how long I should expect to wait before we get an update. After being put on hold for at least fifteen minutes, I was told that its a unique issue with my device only, despite my protests and feeble attempts to explain everyone is having this problem. I was then told to ship my tablet back to Asus to reinstall the OS despite my protests and an email was sent to me with instructions on how to do so even though I made it clear it is not my device’s fault and that I have no intention of sending it back. So apperently, a fix is not even on Asus’ radar. If anybody needs me, I’ll be out alarm clock shopping. Screw you Asus

• At least you can’t accuse Samsung of rushing to release new iterations of operating systems!

I’m trying to work out a way to justify buying a transformer pad.