AndroidApps

Reader request: Repeating notifications in Tasker [Video]

This time I have a reader request for a Tasker profile to show you. The idea behind the profile is to create repeating notifications that actually continue to bug you until you acknowledge their existence. As the video shows, this is quite easy to do in practice, requiring very few actions. It’s also a very customizable system, allowing you to customize it the way you want. I’ll leave it to the video to explain the rest.

Andreas Ødegård

Andreas Ødegård is more interested in aftermarket (and user created) software and hardware than chasing the latest gadgets. His day job as a teacher keeps him interested in education tech and takes up most of his time.

15 thoughts on “Reader request: Repeating notifications in Tasker [Video]

A good profile to have around. Thanks for posting this video!

• Excellent tutorial! Thank you!

• Is it possible to turn on the notification LED without creating a notification under Tasker?

I don’t have a phone with a notification LED, so I have no clue. I know it’s been discussed in the tasker google group, however, so have a look there.

I have never been able to do LED without the notification. Unfortunately, it just seems to go with it, so I personally have to do a lot of clearing. :/

There’s a Notify Cancel – have you tried simply doing that a split second after Notify LED?

• Have tried Notify Cancel, but as soon as it is run, it cancels the notification as well as turning off the LED. Maybe Tasker should create a “LED” task in addition to “Notify LED”, just like “Notify Vibrate” and “Vibrate”.

Thanks for posting this tut. Very helpful.

Excellent tutorial!

I have two questions:

1) For variable %rep, why did you set items to be 1:6? Why not just 1? That would still work wouldn’t it?

2) You said there was an alternative method to do this – using Goto. Can you elaborate on that a little? :D

Oops! I just realised why you did 1:6. Sorry!! I haven’t tried the profile myself. I just watched the video.

You answered 1) yourself so
      2) The goto action makes the task go back to a previous action in the task, thus creating a loop. It doesn’t have a built-in limitation system for repeats like For does, but you can add one like this (same general example as in the video):

1) Set Variable %counter to 6
      2) Flash “Hello”
      3) Wait 10 seconds
      4) Variable Subtract, from %counter, value: 1
      5) Goto action 2 IF %counter > 0

Easier to screw up and make infinite loops that way

True. To be honest, I haven’t really found much use of the Goto action. Maybe it’s just me. Do you use it much?

Thanks for the quick response btw!

I’ve used it, don’t remember what for xD

:D

Btw, I think there’s a flaw in this profile.

If you receive the notification while the app in question is running (in your case Gmail), the profile still gets triggered.

So I made a small addition in the context to make sure that app in question isn’t running:

Profile: Whatsapp Notification Reminder Activate (162)

Event: Notification [ Owner Application:WhatsApp Title:* ]

// not relevant to most people
    State: Variable Value [ Name:%WORK Op:Matches Value:0 ]

//not relevant to most people
    State: Variable Value [ Name:%SILENT Op:Matches Value:off ]

Application: Not WhatsApp

Enter: Whatsapp Reminder Activate (164)
    A1: For [ Variable:%warepeater Items:1:10 ]
    A2: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:5 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A3: Flash [ Text:Whatsapp notification pending. Long:Off ]
    A4: Vibrate [ Time:200 ]
    A5: End For

You’re right, that’s definitely something that should be in there, nice catch!