ROM Picks: Elegencia 3.2.1 for the HTC EVO 3D

Elegencia is a custom Sense 4.1/Android Ice Cream Sandwich-based ROM for the HTC EVO 3D ported from the HTC Ville C2 RUU.

It boasts the Leedroid tweaks, ZRAM enabled, the Sense 4.1 camera with the Sony Bravia photo enhancement engine, and a stripped down Sense that leaves little bloat while maintaining all the features you want.

An interesting thing about this particular ROM is that it reports to Dropbox that it’s running on a Samsung device. That appears to net you an additional 48 gigabytes of storage to your Dropbox account.

It’s fast as all get-out, but unfortunately – as is the case with all Sense 4.x ROMs – it doesn’t support 3D (viewing, or picture taking), nor WiMAX 4G.

The ROM feels a bit like it’s outperforming my HTC EVO 4G LTE in terms of Sense speed, so it’s a hefty little beast to contend with. Unfortunately, it’s not without some minor hiccups; in my case, the vibrator goes off every minute for no reason I can discover, and I can’t disable it. I might be the only one, though. As an update, this cleared up after a reboot.

A lot of work has gone into making this ROM’s theme, from the beautiful startup animation to the blue Beats background and statusbar icons. It’s not really out of the realm of other ROMs, but it’s presented nicely and just works.

It’s worth a look if you’re not tied to 3D or 4G/WiMAX, which evidently most of you are not. Hopefully someone will manage to port the Sense 3.6 ICS 3D camera up to the 4.1 framework and at least get the 3D functionality working. That would make this just about the perfect Sense-based EVO 3D ROM.

[TheMikMik]

Paul E King

23 thoughts on “ROM Picks: Elegencia 3.2.1 for the HTC EVO 3D

• October 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Too bad it doesn’t support 3D!

• October 10, 2012 at 6:50 am

I linked this blog to his anthrax and mikmik thread. Looks like a solid rom still wish i could test it myself though

• October 10, 2012 at 7:03 am

I may give this a try. I’m itching to get away from MIUI. I prefer working 3D but I know the reality is that I rarely use it anyhow.

Thanks for the article.

• October 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

I gave it a try and it seems to hate my phone.

Unresponsive, wifi issues, tether not working, etc etc.

Some of my other dislikes are mostly personal preference and odd quirks that probably could be resolved with tweaking (signal bar coloring, time/time zone issues, default weather/clock widget showing Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, some odd icon the notification bar I can’t identify..)

Time for another new ROM..

• October 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

For the sake of fairness, I’ve concluded that my issues were most likely caused by user error rather than problems with the ROM itself.

Having said that, I’ve decided to just try a different ROM anyhow..

• October 10, 2012 at 8:06 am

Anyone have a working link to xda for the rom? even the google link is broken. Did the thread disappear?

• October 10, 2012 at 8:18 am

Thanks for publishing my rom on this site….im the dev
    Stay tuned for updates….!!

• October 10, 2012 at 10:49 am

I love the blue beats logo on this ROM! I’m not rooted and I have an EVO 4G LTE, any chance that wallpaper might get circulated around for us regulars? Can’t help but hope, it’s really nice…

• October 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

ah, it appears there are accusations of kanging on this rom / bans from XDA… and a few before that.

I, however am sick as a dog and not up to editing this at the moment…

• October 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm

This rom is not a kang…….
    I am the dev and my friend posted on xda
    …..however i was banned and not allowed on xda….
    Im on themikmik anthrax and acsyndicate……
    Pm me on themikmik if anyone wants that wallpaper

• October 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yeah OK DUDE!!! Stop calling yourself a developer when you’re nothing but a kanger. Also stop with the lies man, is really getting old…..it really is!

We’ve seen this act before! For those that don’t believe me, please see for yourself how many times Tal Noah aka tnoah12 aka ROM CH3F has lied about kanging and see how many times he’s got caught for it!

Paul King and everyone at pocketables, I apologize for this BUT I will not let someone such as this idiot fool others into thinking he’s a developer and stealing people’s work.

Remember ROM CH3F, if you don’t ask for permission….is a kang!

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck….is a DUCK!

• October 11, 2012 at 9:19 am

were I not flu ridden I probably would pull the piece or research, but I’ve been laying in a heap for 4 days now (why there’ve been no articles from me)

and now back to sleep

damned flu

• October 11, 2012 at 2:44 am

Oh man as I said in my post, with this review I would have had installed this ROM already.

But the fact that I cannot use 4G, makes me stay away from it. Very few ROMs include this these days, which truly bums me out, because I use it quite often. Sprint 3G is extremely slow, with 4G you get a very usable connection.

Thanks and good luck ch3f!

• October 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Man, if this thing supported 4G, I would install it right now. I have it in my area and do use it. Hopefully they add support soon!

• October 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

I have to say…I know I’m in a minority…but, I REALLY wish there was a thread on xda (or, anywhere else for that matter) that listed solely ROMs with working wimax.

It’s getting harder and harder to find quality, recent ROMs with everything working.

I appreciate everyone’s contribution to development…that much is indisputable…it’s just getting tougher. Especially for legacy devices. 3d and og 4g.

No one is to blame…nature of the beast and all.
    At the very least…a thread with those specifications.

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

• October 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Well, here’s a quick cheat sheet:

Sense 3.6 will be the highest Sense version that has working WiMAX – there are no devices after Sense 3.6 at the moment that support WiMAX. So 4.0, 4.1, etc it will take a massive breakthrough to get it working. At the point any Sense 4.x gets it working, they’ll all start working most likely.

• October 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm

you know what?
    that was actually *incredibly* helpful. therefore, something i did not actually know.
    thank you.

there’s your answer as to why i stop by.
    very cool.

and, AOSP? rule of thumb?