Good and EVO

sprint logo1 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Sprint announced this morning that it is planning on officially adding LTE coverage to more than 20 additional cities in the coming months, in addition to the 100 cities it already announced last month. Here’s the new list:

• Cape Coral-Ft Meyers, FL
  • Sarasota-Bradenton, FL
  • Sebring, FL
  • South Bend-Mishawaka, IN
  • Terre Haute, IN
  • Vallejo-Fairfield, CA
  • Warsaw, IN

This comes one day after it was revealed that Sprint might be partially or wholly acquired by Japanese carrier Softbank. While this announcement almost certainly has nothing to do with the potential acquisition, it’s still good to see that Sprint appears to be on track with its Network Vision plans – and the extra cash it might get from Softbank will only help Sprint work that much faster.

In any case, be sure to let us know if you are seeing LTE around these areas!

[Sprint]

John F

37 thoughts on “Sprint plans to roll out 4G LTE in San Francisco, 20 more cities in the coming months

Meanwhile in Michigan (the black hole of new technology)

Yea.. what is up with that? Since the first EVO the only place to get 4G was Grand Rapids when will there be a Metro Detroit LTE Network?

• Probably never, which is why I’m jumping to AT&T with either a Galaxy S3 or Optimus G. I’ve effing had it with Sprint’s lack of 4G and pokey 3G.

• Yea I’m getting 4g lte in Chicago around the uic area

Seattle please.

• You would think they would make it a priority to cover an area that is packed with tech savvy people. We are the Silicon Valley of the PacNW, and their coverage really sucks out here…

After the last release of a list of 100 cities I called sprint to see what was up becasuse originally they said seattle would start in october. The rep on the phone told me emphatically that they were starting the rollout in seattle in October. However I find no mention of that anywhere on the interwebs. LIES I TELL YOU!!!

Sprint still needs to finish the 4g roll out in Atlanta, supposedly one of the first markets. I drive around the city and It’s surrounding areas a lot. I’d have to say that only 25% of the metropolitan area is covered. Another 20% of the upgraded 3g. The rest is that 3g coverage that is basically unusable until most of the population goes to sleep (where I live btw). I took a gamble on Sprint because I love the EVO line and got the ltevo for a penny. But I would have thought they would be further along three months after the official roll out. If It’s not good by next summer I’m canceling and grabbing a nexus phone.

Slowly but surely they are finally catching up to AT&T for true 4G LTE.

I went to the Giants/Reds game in San Francisco on Sunday the 7th, and then the A’s/Tigers game in Oakland on Tuesday the 9th, and got 4G LTE signal in both places. Downstream in SF was 5378kbps with 4120kbps up. Downstream in Oakland was 25086kbps with 12606kbps up.

Looks like they were running capacity tests.

Why does Sprint keep announcing, “Coming Soon, LTE here!” They are the only carrier to just announce updates but almost never have any? You never see ATT or Verizon announcing coverage updates!? They either have new cities to add or they don’t. Sprint stop fake hawking your nonexistent network!

They took one right out of AMD’s book (early 2000s). It’s called a paper launch. Launch it on paper and then roll it out weeks or months later.

• They keep announcing that more markets will be getting upgraded or beefed up “by the end of 2013” in order to keep the suckers hanging around. Notice that things never get better and the promised dates just keep rolling into the future.

Compare that to other carriers which just throw the switch then announce, “Hey, you’ve got the 4 geez el tee eeze. You’re welcome. kthxbai!”

Los Angeles was supposed to be launching in September as well. It’s October, now. I would like to activate my phone and take advantage of LTE, and WiMax is acting funny on my E3D.

I was thinking the same thing. I was at Universal Studios last weekend with no LTE and really bad 3G coverage. At least with my OG EVO I got good 4G coverage there.

I’m in the same boat. I’d love to get whatever new Nexus is coming down the line, but until there’s either major 3G upgrades or LTE here (in Minneapolis), I can’t do it.

I end up in places with huge congestion often enough (like say, like a Vikings game) where if I can’t use WiMax on my Evo 3D, I can’t get any data service whatsoever.

• KC has been great, no complaints.

Always surprised at how slow 4G adoption is in S. Cal. Are we really such a minor market between LA and Sandiego?

• come one Sprint!!! what about Cincinnati???

Not even a sniff in Minneapolis.

This. I get that it’s not the only sizable market that’s getting no love, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating.

There just seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when and where they’re upgrading. Now that it’s going to start to get to winter conditions here in the north, I only see more delays (or no announcements whatsoever) moving forward for the foreseeable future.

I think they’er deciding wher to implement LTE by having monkeys throw darts at a map of the united states. Next they’ll announce LTE coverage at Lake Erie, it’ll juts be a tower connected to a buoy.

• I will not buy a NEW LTE device till I have the coverage here in Orlando…I use 4G and wifi so it is not urgent for me, nor is it going to be that much of a difference to warrant spending several hundred dollars on a new phone.

As big as panama city Florida is, why isn’t it on the list.

• I hate being the smallest state!!! can RI get some LTE.. wtf :(

• Hopefully this will be better than WiMAX, I’m right in the middle of two call sites at work but never got any connections. Hope Softbank makes this deal happen to help Sprint out.

dyersburg, union city and martin before memphis? :(

Nothing more fun than the “where’s lte?” threads. If i drive to the corner of 5th and elm and stand on the roof of my car i can get really fast lte! Maybe just buy a phone on a network that has pretty good 3g or better next time rather than wait for a network to be rolled out “soon”. Sprint users have no one to blame but themselves.

No Honolulu? It’s not that big of an area either. Heh, feeling neglected after being one of the cities with relatively early Wimax

• woohoo fort wayne indiana. FINALLY

• Where is Louisville Kentucky? Darn!

• Arizona still has plenty of mines, and Sprint is still giving us the shaft. :/

I briefly saw 4G on my EVO 4G LTE on the bay bridge in San Francisco last Friday. I wondered if they were doing testing.

A friend of mine was near LAX last night and he called me to tell me he got 4G on his EVO 4G LTE. When he left the area it went back to 3g. L. A. is being tested now. I’m in the Antelope Valley but no such luck as of yet.

I think most people will see bigfoot and a unicorn before they will see lte fully working in their area… thanks sprint.

I dread to think how long it will be before the UK gets 4g