AndroidTablets

nexus 7 staples - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

A short while ago, we reported on some rumors of a 32GB Nexus 7, which was priced around $270. Since then, there have been quite a few more leaks and rumors that make the device look like a reality, and let us know a little more about its price. So now that things are a bit more clear, lets take a look at what we know.

From CNET UK, we have an advertisement for the UK market showing a 32GB Nexus 7 at only £199 Pounds, and with a battery life of 9.5 hours. The price is nearly the same as the current 16GB model, and the 9.5 hours of battery is slightly higher and more specific than the currently advertised 9, perhaps due to some power management changes that have to do with Android 4.1.2. Then we have an advertisement from the US Staples Advantage site, with the 32GB Nexus 7 priced at $248.37. Despite the oddly specific price, it seems clear that the 32GB Nexus 7 will take over the price point of the 16GB version, potentially pushing the current devices down in price.

Finally, we have Reddit user kingdaan, who ordered a 16GB Nexus 7, and had his order delayed for three weeks with the promise that when the device ships, he will be getting the 32GB version. This not only confirms the $250 price, but also gives an estimated timeframe of about three weeks from now, in early November, for the 32GB model’s release

While it seems a bit early for a reshuffling of the Nexus 7 line, the change will no doubt be welcomed by prospective Nexus 7 buyers. Who doesn’t want more space for the same money? However, those who recently bought the tablet, myself included, may feel a bit cheated if the price on each version drops $50 to make room for the 32GB version. Personally, I’d love to have a 16GB tablet instead of 8GB, and I’ll be at least a bit annoyed if the 16GB tablet costs as much as I paid for the 8GB version such a short time after my purchase. (Especially since much of that time was wasted sending the tablet in for repairs.) Aside from that potential problem, as long as Google does something nice for existing customers, the imminent release of the 32GB Nexus 7 should work out well for everyone.

[CNET | Reddit | Android Police]

Aaron Orquia

Aaron Orquia is an associate editor at Pocketables. He has been using Android and Linux since he bought his first computer years ago, and his interest in technology, software, and tweaking both to work just right has only grown stronger since then. His current gadgets include a OnePlus One, a Pebble smartwatch, and an Acer C720 Chromebook.

Google+ | Twitter | More posts by Aaron | Subscribe to Aaron's posts

18 thoughts on “The 32GB Nexus 7 is nearly official as details, advertisements, and order information emerge

Too late. Should of done it day of launch. If they made a nexus 7 2.0 with 8mp camera with rear flash,USB OTG,micro sd slot, and bigger battery I would totally buy. Have to wait.

Sad, same price I paid for less product. Guess the early buyers get hosed.

Which is why you never buy 1st generation products. Wait for the 2nd.

Agreed. I always try to

I’m in the same boat… Maybe if my screen somehow start lifting and they’ll send me a bigger one ha

This is good news, but I still wish they’d just put in an SD slot.

I know. Want to get a nexus 7 and the next nexus phone but if the rumored 8/16gb is true forget it. I’ll stick with iPhone or switch to galaxy note 2/ htc one x+

This seems to be the running trend for a while now for every tech company. Release a product, it sells well and then release a better version a few months later.

• Still holding out for that 10.1 Nexus

Hells yeah especially considering the display is going to have a higher resolution then the retina on the ipad.

sorry to early adopters but this is great for new buyers.

This price point would be awesome and pretty guarantee a sale to me from them. Assuming I don’t win the contest here ;)

Still makes me mad they don’t install an sd slot. Does anyone know how much an sd slot adds to the cost of the product?

Idk but the $250 chromebook has 2 USB ports and sd card slot and 16gb internal storage and costs same as 16hb nexus 7.

• Seems to me they’re just replacing the 16GB with the 32GB – no changes in price to the 8GB.

So excited by the new chrome book google announced! It costs $250 and comes with 2 years of google drive storage. I was going to get a nexus 7 but I might get that instead.

Isn’t competition great! The bad products drop out of the race and the good ones just keep getting better.

• Is this a possibility, ” as long as Google does something nice for existing customers?”

Or just wishful thinking?