AndroidEditorialsGood and EVO

International HTC One X gets Jelly Bean while EVO 4G LTE users feel left behind

evo 4g lte front - for some reason we don't have an alt tag hereOver the past couple of days, reports have been trickling in that the Jelly Bean update for the international HTC One X has been rolling out across portions of Europe and Asia. The AT&T-branded One X is sure to be updated soon, as well, but meanwhile – back on Sprint – lots of people who have the EVO 4G LTE are feeling a little left behind.

That’s partially because we were led on to believe that a Jelly Bean update was on the way soon – we had two leaked screenshots of an internal Sprint memo that suggested Jelly Bean would be on the way (the legitimacy of which is now extremely questionable), along with a tweet from Sprint saying that an OTA update was coming soon.

November 27 has come and gone (that’s the date when the Sprint memo said it would be available to everyone), and nothing has appeared. The EVO 4G LTE is still on Ice Cream Sandwich, and there’s still that really annoying contact bug that some people seem to have fixed for themselves, and others are still complaining about.

I think I speak for everyone when I say: What the hell is going on here? Isn’t the EVO 4G LTE supposed to be the flagship Sprint phone? Why has Sprint’s focus shifted entirely to Samsung, and why hasn’t HTC officially come out and confirmed whether or not the EVO 4G LTE is even supposed to get a Jelly Bean update to begin with?

And HTC wonders why its sales have gone down so much.

All right, I’ll end my rant now. But seriously, what gives?

[xda-developers]

John F

58 thoughts on “International HTC One X gets Jelly Bean while EVO 4G LTE users feel left behind

It’s a good phone, but sense hosts a slew of bugs and “why is this even necessary?” Issues. I smell a nexus in my future. I’m thinking I might root for EVO 4g LTE. Heavily considering right now. Cm10 anthrax kernel, something in that area. The lack of support is killing a great phone.

is there really an anthrax kernel for cm10? I’m running cm10 now and love it… I wonder if anthrax would make it better

There’s an anthrax’d CM10 – not sure if the kernel is available as a standalone, but probably.

Would that be just on the anthrax site? What differences is there in cm10 and the anthrax one? I’m considering root.

Sorry, looks like the Anthraxed CM10 for the EVO 3D.

Don’t see his kernel for JB, do see someone’s who he’s helping though

The anthrax kernel works for both sense and cm10 but there are some issues on cm10

If you have Sprint LTE in your area CM10 will be so much of a pain in the arse messing with your data connectivity you won’t keep it long, trust me.

I am definitively going Nexus. This is after my 4th HTC. They aren’t in the game anymore. Sad

Men i will give sprint and HTC one more shot.. I am definitely going to wait a month on two before I purchase the next EVO….actually make that wait 4-5 months.

I love my EVO 4g LTE but what a shity experience

I’m getting a bit annoyed at having the best bloody phone and being ignored as if I had purchased the worlds most expensive “go” phone. Are we the minority of customers? We few, we happy few….

Samsung is stepping up their game. Giving carriers incentives to release faster. HTC is still stuck in slow motion. When was the last time you saw a timely us release of any update from HTC? The evo is massively lagging behind Samsung in sales too.

I commented on HTC facebook page in regards to this question and here is how they responded.

Jonathan F. Myers > HTC USA
    Monday at 9:29am · ..

Good morning HTC, this is from a loyal HTC Evo 4G LTE user… I have been with HTC for over 5 year nows… I haven’t seen myself leaving til as of lately… Why are you all delaying the release of Jelly Bean for the HTC Evo 4G LTE users and focusing on everyone else. This is a slap in the face for someone who got this phone with your promises of no more delayed updates… Can you please shed some light on this. Sprint has replied to me and said the delay is on your end…

HTC USA > Me:
    Hey there. So sorry to hear that you are frustrated, and we by no means want to lose you. As for updates to the EVO 4G LTE, we don’t have any information on that at this time. We will definitely let you know as soon as we have news to share!

Why don’t they just tell us that it isn’t going to be updated, or it will be updated in a few months, or whatever, so I can have some peace of mind and live my life and not have to check every day to see if there is an update that will never come.

This is really pissing me off that they are leading me on like this, because they know what is going on, they don’t want to tell me for whatever lame reason.

This is such a horrible experience. I am an extremely unhappy consumer. I will never by another product from this company again.

Y U no update!?

The whole “few amazing products and support them heavily” went away quickly.

Yeah, I have been seriously reconsidering my whole approach to HTC and Sprint. I jumped on the HTC EVO 4G LTE when it first came out. I get no service when I am inside the house. I always have to go outside to make sure it does not drop calls. No update to JB. I am starting to feel like HTC & Sprint are unable to deliver on their promises. I am now seriously considering switching to Verizon even if I have to pay ETF.

I thought I was taking crazy pills. Ever since the I phone came to sprint, my 3g is borderline unusable, I now get dropped calls, and seriously thinking about making the switch to the evil big red (I’m all for net neutrality). I know that when my contract is up, I may not re-up (been a customer for 10 years) and I will definitely get a nexus as long as I can have at least 32gb on board (I work in a basement and have to put my music on the phone since streaming is not an option).

3G is non existent.I mine as well be using AOL back in the 90’s.

If you switch to Verizon, you might as well forget about updates. Sprint is usually the first to push out updates, unless another carrier like AT&T has the flagship phone of the company. I will most likely get the update a week or 2 after AT&T pushes out the update. That is why HTC needs to pull a Samsung and release the same phone to every carrier. That way, no one gets left behind.

HTC is getting slammed by angry evo owners owners on their Facebook account. I for one, personally have left my opinion there, got a response two weeks ago saying that it will get the update but feel it may be time to abandon ship. Samsung is definitely way ahead of the game.

Well, I’m done with all phones that aren’t Nexus devices. We’ve been bamboozled by Sprint and HTC. As long as I can buy a phone and be sure it’ll get updated in a timely manner, I’d be happy and it doesnt even have to have the greatest specs! No more two year contracts either.

+1… I am one of the few who are not having reception issues, and the LTE in the area’s in ATL I frequent is booming. I do have an issue with the lack of acknowledgement of this phone, including updates. That comes from both sides… I just purchased a Nexus 10 tablet, and I’m loving that experience. Google has already pushed out and update for it. My next phone may well be a Nexus, and it may not be on Sprint. This experience has opened my eyes to a lot…

It really is a crying shame, because the Evo is a better phone than the One X by a close margin given the fact that it has expandable memory. My first smartphone was the Samsung Instinct. Dubbed the Iphone killer. It seemed that Samsung was on their way, but had a few flops after that. The HTC Nexus was hot and on it’s way but now I feel that, and many other seem to as well, that HTC has lost focus on what’s important. The consumer!

Yeah I’m done with HTC and the EVO line. The OG EVO was a great phone and they treated it that way. Now though they treat it like a stepchild. i have said this on this site before but my frustration has reached a new level. I’m done

Is it sprint? Or HTC? If it’s sprint then I’m gone!

I’m done. Sorry HTC/Sprint. I’ve been with you since the Sprint Mogul but you’ve let me down too many times. I was even selected as a tester for the EVO 4G LTE and given a free phone. But it seems like all of our comments go unheard or ignored. Switching to Verizon and probably the SG3 or the Note2…

I’ve rode the EVO wave from it’s high point with the O4G, toughed out the 3D, but this latest hunk of firmware crap they’ve thrown at us is too much. Next phone is going to be the one with the timeliest updates and you can sure as hell bet it’s not going to be an HTC.

Sounds like you will be getting a Nexus…

• It has to be HTC they give the software to Sprint.I’m almost done with them both and my next phone will be a Nexus one with no contract.The only thing is the Nexus does not have LTE that is the one drawback now.Maybe by the time my contract is up with Sprint the Nexus # will have LTE. One more month and it’s CM10 time.

I really don’t understand the thought behind not updating the “flagship” phone on either Sprint or HTC’s end. Heck, my GSII aka E4GT is supposed to be getting JB soon!

GUYS U SHOULD ALL GO TO THE HTC FACEBOOK PAGE AND POST ALL THESE COMMENTS THERE SO THAT THEY CAN SEE AND UNDERSTAND HOW WEE ALL FEEL.. NO OFFENSE TO THIS SITE BECAUSE I LOVE IT AND THIS IS WHERE I GET ALL MY INFO FROM.. BUT SAYING BYE TO HTC THOUGH HERE WONT DO ANYTHING WE NEED TOALL COME TOGETHER DIRECTLY TO HTC AND LET THEM KNOW HOW WE FEEL…

I invited them last week to do so lol.

i just want them to fix the wifi bounce and the LTE connection issues… i live in a 4g lte area, yet most of the time i have to do the airplane mode trick to get LTE… even that doesnt work all the time….

• I emailed HTC and got this reply on Nov 13. It doesn’t really say a lot…

Thanks for taking the time to contact HTC about the Jelly Bean update!

We know HTC fans are excited to get their hands on Google’s latest version of Android. At this point in time, we can confirm that we have plans to upgrade our HTC One X, HTC One XL and HTC One S to Jelly Bean. Please stay tuned for more updates regarding device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Jelly Bean.

This being said, at this time I do not have any additional information as to if/when this update may happen on your phone. Rest assured though that if it does happen, when it’s ready for your phone you’ll get a notification that will pop up and ask you to update.

Another thing you could do is to register for the YOU Club to receive the exclusive YOU Club newsletter with the latest news and offers from HTC. You can do that here: https://secure.htc.com/us/you-club/join-you-club

I’m very sorry to say that I don’t have more information for you. I can certainly understand how disheartening it can be to be asked to wait for such a highly anticipated update, as I’m waiting for it too. This being said though, between the YOU Club and the social networks, you’ll be in a great position to get the latest news as soon as it happens!

Have an awesome day and enjoy the rest of your week!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Tara

HTC

i got that same email word for word

• I’m with you here. I’m the type of owner that stays true to what I purchase. I’ve been with Sprint over 10 years even though we never got 4G nor am close to getting 4GLTE, but still purchased the first Evo n the LTE now cause I stay true. But things like this, make me want to change. I love the LTE, size, the HTC Gui, widgets, etc.. but this gotta stop. I rooted my first Evo so I didn’t have a problem with updates. But I’ve really stayed away from rooting this one cause I expected Jellybean to be out by now. If by the end of the year we don’t officially receive Jellybean, I will be through with HTC and Sprint, waited long enough for Jellybean and 4G in Fort Myers, Florida.

At the risk of getting flamed by everyone here, I’m going to play the devil’s advocate and I will stress that I don’t and have never worked for Sprint or HTC, nor do I own their stock and in fact have absolutely no vested interest in the company other than as a common consumer.

Having said that, I understand everyones frustration and like others here, I’ve been a long time HTC customer going back literally from the Dash to the Wing, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, Hero, Evo, Evo 3D and the Evo LTE. I think raising an issue about the updates with Sprint and HTC makes absolute sense, but in my humble opinion, I question whether it’s worth walking away as so many of you are expressing, from what is probably the best phone and the best priced unlimited data plan on the market. Their standard price is lower than most other carriers for unlimited data and they offer up to 28% discount for the employees of many common companies. The difference between JB and ICS just isn’t significant enough to justify giving all that up just because we didn’t get it as quickly as HTC One X carriers.

. Granted, there are many aspects of Sprints service that can be improved, but all service providers have their flaws and right now, I just don’t see any company who’s service and phones stands out that far ahead of Sprint to warrant jumping ship. Especially now, when Sprint is finally doing something about it’s signal and many of the other issues we have been experiencing. I’m confident they will also work harder at getting updates out in a timely manner, we just have to be a little more patient. Until then, its not the end of cell universe if we get the updates a little late, we’re not missing out on anything that major and you can always root your phone and install a ported JB Rom if you’re that much in a hurry to get it. Even without the update, you still have one of if not the best phone on the market and a pretty decent plan. Personally,, I’ll wait for Google to become a cell carrier or at least parent of one and then I’ll be licking my chops at the possibilities.. lol.

I feel your pain. I have temporarily retired my EVO LTE and have been using the LG Optimus G for the past two weeks (amazing phone might i add). Though i prefer the display/camera/battery life of my EVO over the Optimus G, actually having a phone that can peform basic functions has been amazing. The contact/sms bug was ridiculous. Having to wait 30-60 seconds for the phone to dial or text a contact is unacceptable. This was the response HTC sent me upon contacting them regarding the issue, which was no help by the way.

First response:
    We are sorry to hear that you having issues with the phone freezing and can provide some information to help resolve your concerns. However, keep in mind that HTC does not have any known issues with the phone experiencing this concern. If individuals are experiencing a similar issue, they will need to contact us directly rather than posting on forums so we can look into the concern. We are unable to verify the validity of any issue based solely on internet postings.

As for troubleshooting, we can clear the device’s cache partition. This will not remove any personal data on the phone but will delete any temporary files that may be causing an issue, in case of corruption. We can clear the partition with the steps below:

1. Disable Fast Boot under Settings>Power.
    2. Power the phone off.
    3. Press and Hold Volume Down then briefly press Power to turn the phone on. Do not release Volume Down until the phone boots a white screen with three images of the Android mascot.
    4. Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and press Power to select. Screen will load to an image of a red triangle with an exclamation point.
    5. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery Menu.
    6. Use volume keys to highlight “wipe cache partition” then press Power to select. This may take approximately 30 seconds depending on the amount of information it has to go through.
    7. When done, highlight the option to reboot/restart phone and again press Power to select.

Once the phone reboots, test it for a day or so to see if there is any change.

For multitasking, we would need to ask that you reply with some additional details so we can determine what exactly is occurring so we can look further into that issue.

As for Jelly Bean, we can only confirm that we have plans to upgrade our HTC One X, HTC One XL and HTC One S to this version of the operation system at this time. We are examining other devices, including the Evo 4G LTE, with the carriers to determine which other phones may receive it. Since we do not have any information beyond this, we can only recommend right now that you keep watch on our website at http://www.htc.com/us or our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HTC for information as it becomes available.

Second Response:
    Thanks for your reply Michael. We have received some reports of a lag concern along the lines of what you’ve described, and we are currently working on an update for the EVO 4G LTE to correct this and add other device enhancements. I apologize if we gave the impression that we’ve not been made aware of concerns like this. Regarding your question about an ETA for a fix, HTC no longer announces dates for release of software due to the nature of the software development process. At any point in the software development cycle a situation may be encountered that requires anything from some minor additional rework, to complete rewrites of the software base. Only after the final acceptance testing has been successfully completed will HTC release software. The normal time period between the final acceptance testing and release of software is about a week and often shorter than that.

I apologize that we don’t have anything more concrete for you at this time, but rest assured that we’re working diligently to get the update out as soon as possible. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns Michael, and thanks for being a member of the HTC community!

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Final Response:
    Thanks for your reply Michael, and sorry for that spelling mistake on my part. I’m usually a bit more observant of spelling errors! I apologize that we don’t have anything out right now on this, but we’re doing everything we can to ensure that the update is ready to roll and can be released A.S.A.P. so customers like yourself don’t have to worry about this any longer. Thanks again for being a member of the HTC community Michael, and have a wonderful holiday!

Don’t forget that your voice is the most important part of HTC. If I have answered all of your questions today, I would love to invite you to fill out our feedback survey. You can access the survey by clicking the link below to close your ticket. When you close the ticket the survey will be offered.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Joseph

HTC

This is what I got back from them

Sprint Care @sprintcare

@YouRuckinFetard There was an update scheduled, but that has been pushed back. No new release date scheduled. Sorry for the confusion *MDR

after this whole situation, i called sprint and got out of my contract somehow and am getting the gs3 or the galaxy note. I’m sick of being on the backburner with HTC. I don’t remember it being this bad with the original evo, however it’s insane they haven’t even given us any sort of details about it. Also i’m pretty sure HTC said the One X would be updated by the end of Oct…

@Adam, so did you get out of your contract or did they save you by giving you a Samsung Galaxy S3?

I’ve actually already gotten 3 replacement evos because they just randomly would completely shut off service for days at a time and the sporadically come back on. I kept taking it to the sprint store and they would reset it, then eventually give me a new phone. I finally was fed up with htc and I decided to call sprint and I complained enough that they let me get a new phone for the price of a contract phone. So I am happy with my galaxy note 2. However it’s a shame that HTC has gotten so bad. They truly have the best built phones, but in terms of features, updates, and customer feedback Samsung is miles ahead.

I believe the reason they don’t push the EVO line anymore is because at the time…..it’s all they really had. They used it as a “why get an iphone when the evo is so much better?” But then they have the iphone and the SIII now so they have no need to promote it or support it anymore. I hope the update that got “pushed back” was pushed back to roll 4.2 into it or something amazing like that. All I know is, Nexus is the way to go when my contract is up.

I don’t know if it is sprint or htc. But it seems no one at either end knows anything. Now this is my 3rd Evo and the way they are treating this phone, as much as I love it, it might be my last with them if they can’t get their crap together,

EVO 4G = Awesome . Sprint & EVO LTE = huge disappointment – Sprint promised LTE ‘soon’ at the launch and now still not even a hint of a date for my area. 3G is horrible, and the LTE is a bug-fest since the last OTA. Lags, freezes, random restarts, screen issues. HTCs best answer is to reset, and check for bad apps….

• My phone works fine except for 1) bad 3G reception and 2) the lack of any LTE until 2013-14! By the time LTE is nationwide most EVO LTE contracts will be up,and that’s no joke.The whole network sucks now and they should have known selling this phone with no network was a bad idea.Soon …yeah I did not think that would be a year out.And to top that they have said when LTE is finished so will be unlimited data …maybe!

just updated my wife’s new s3 from t-mobile to jelly bean, happy for her, pretty damn pissed for me.

just saw this on HTC’s USA Facebook page. thought it was rather interesting…especially if its true.

Courtesy of Rusty Barlow – i found this out there:

“After years of no 4g for Original EVO, 3D and now the LTE in a large city in South Florida, I finally get fed up enough to call HTC USA, because if I’m not getting 4g, I at least want to JB. After stopping several support individuals and managers from reading from their script, I finally got an answer that floored me. Do to the different processor and chipset in our phone, HTC has not even released a JB source to Sprint. While the agent was VERY careful to never use the word NEVER, he basically said they have no current plans to release JB for the dual core USA/Sprint model, which is why we were left off the upgrade list in the first place.

Other models of the One series have already received at least a prep download for JB. If Sprint doesn’t at least have the initial download to prepare our phone for JB, it doesn’t look too good for us.

I think Sprint and HTC have no intention to release JB to us, and we need to accept it. I hope I’m wrong, but it was the most info I have ever received from HTC.”

I know right?!!! Yes I want JB badly on my phone, but more importantly I want the contacts/sms function to work properly. The constant lag and force closing is ridiculous. HTC has no ETA on a fix, and because of that I have temporarily retired my EVO LTE for the Optimus G.

I’ve been apart of the HTC family way back in the mogul days and none thing has changed but i stay for the design of there phones and there UI. As long as i have a remove able SD card and the latest and greatest hardware i will stay with HTC. If you can root it there will always be way programming takes time.

I’d like to see the contact issues and the camera app updated… I think JB is supposed to be an incremental update anyway so that makes me question the whole chip set issue. But i think it wouldn’t hurt to flood these guys with tweets.

@HTCUSA @sprintcare

Wow.. After all that I don’t know what to say, you all said everything I was gonna say. I feel so cheated by HTC, but I’m stuck ’cause I’m locked in til 2014… Sprint’s been good as far as working with me on my late payments but they ain’t gonna let me switch to a Note II like I want them to. And my friend Dee just got her Note II on Verizon. Guess I’ll start looking into rooting, something I didn’t want to do…

Ill keep taking my lte to the sprint store until the let me go to samsung. Its a wrap with Htc and my home. have been using htc for yrs now this jb thing is a big problem.