Google’s new music ID service isn’t compatible with HTC Sense

Yesterday’s Google Now update brought a really neat feature to an already-awesome service: the ability to simply ask, “Google … what song is this?” and have Google give you the song information for almost any song playing in the background. This is really cool in theory and in practice, except for one thing: if you have an HTC device, the Sense UI breaks this functionality.

If you open Google Now on an HTC Sense device and ask it this question, you’ll get the following generic error message: “This action is not supported on this device.”

Of course, the HTC EVO 4G LTE hasn’t been officially updated to Jelly Bean yet, so this doesn’t affect EVO owners who are still running a stock ROM. It does, however, affect owners of the HTC Droid DNA, or anyone lucky enough to have an updated HTC One X. And once the EVO 4G LTE finally does receive the update, it will probably still be a problem.

This brings up the larger question of whether or not the Sense UI is even needed as we approach 2013. Granted, Sense has some great widgets, and there are a few features you can’t get on stock Android (i.e. the Sense camera, flip to silence, etc.), but is this handful of unique features really worth the bloat, along with the breaking of other neat features?

The fact that Google’s music ID service isn’t compatible with Sense also reminds me of the days when the “Set Alarm” voice action wouldn’t work on HTC Sense devices, like the original EVO 4G. It took a lot of waiting, and a couple OTA updates, before this simple voice action was compatible with the EVO.

Hopefully Google and HTC are able to address this before the EVO 4G LTE is updated to Jelly Bean, but I highly doubt it.

[Android Central]

John F

13 thoughts on “Google’s new music ID service isn’t compatible with HTC Sense

• December 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’m not familiar with the service – I keep a 32GB SD card with the music I listen to, but I’ve got a Pandora One account and the Slacker & IHeartRadio apps that I use occasionally.

What’s the point in this feature anyway? Does it not tell you on the screen what the song name and artist is?

• December 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

This is something similar to SoundHound or Shazzam that can tell you what’s playing on the radio, for example.

• December 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm

So, if for instance, you’re listening to a radio station in the car that doesn’t provide the name of an artist or song, it will look it up based on a small portion of the song itself?

A nice feature, I misunderstood its purpose.

• December 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Well we’ve got about 3.5 years to wait until our EVO’s get updated to Jellybean. I think Google can work in a fix for the issue within that time frame yeah?

• December 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Well I’m not too worried about this one since you have to be running Jelly Been to use Google Now… and Since I have an Evo 4G LTE that will never be on Jelly Bean is seems this is a problem I’ll never have to deal with this bug… I’ll just keep using Soundhound.. But I’ll be sure to tell all my friends that have GS3’s this might be a problem for them… D’oh

• December 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

All kidding aside though, even though it’s something is like to have the option of…it’s not a huge heartbreaker. I can always still use SoundHound, and that rarely gets used now as it is.

• December 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

So I wonder if the jellybean sound search widget wont work to… I use that all the time on cm10. It is awesome.

• December 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm

IT DOES WORK ive had this since i rooted my evo… and always gives me song info.. from what i see now its integrated with google search but i have the actual app and works just fine its called google ears.. or something like that i still have the apk if anyone wants to try it out..

u dont need to go into recovery just install it and add it to any of ur homepages as a widget.. ive used it since ive had my evo lte

• December 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Nice! Yea I already have it on mine but yea I can’t believe some of the songs it knows. We put it to the test with some independent stuff and it surprised me.

• December 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

ive tested over a dozen spanish songs and its recognized them all

• December 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Sound Search is one of the more underrated features of 4.1.

I’m glad some of the new features are back ported to the 4.0x, as we we wait for a JB update.

• December 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Google Now does not work with CM 10 now either it’s not just sense.Worked fine the other day.

• December 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’ve had the Google sound search widget for at least 3months. Works like a champ! I believe the article was saying that it’s now part of the Google Now search bar.. As in press button and say- what’s this song?.
    Its cool to have both integrated however if it’s fairly noisy anyhow then why would I want the phone to have to understand me first then search for the song. The widget is far more faster in that regard. Just press and it’s listening and returning info..

I’m not stock and am running Mean Rom. (which is why been able to play with a few 4.1 features for some time now) Is a shame that official JB is not out yet for our device (EvoLTE)