AndroidGood and EVOSoftware Updates

HTC EVO 4G LTE Jelly Bean OTA update to 3.15.651.16 rolling out now [Updated]

OTA Jelly Bean screenshot - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

The famed and much-anticipated OTA update to Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) is rolling out right now. It comes in at a whopping 396.78MB, and also includes Sense 4+. The updated software version is confirmed to be 3.15.651.16.

Here are a few things I’ve noticed so far regarding the update that haven’t been mentioned elsewhere yet:

• HTC is now going with a blue color scheme that matches the stock Jelly Bean blue color that Google has been using for a while. Previously,  HTC used green. Android purists will appreciate this subtle but noticable change.
  • The notification pull down menu has been revised. Battery and network information are not displayed; instead, you’ll see the time displayed largely, with the date next to that in smaller text. The settings button looks slightly different, as well.
  • Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper was successful is keeping root access for me, but keep in mind that my phone was completely stock. I had unlocked and rooted it using HTCDev, and I had added a few system applications and froze a few others. But I still had the stock recovery, and I didn’t delete any system files. If your set up is similar, and Voodoo fails for you, you can reroot fairly easily if you’ve unlocked with HTCDev.
  • The stock Jelly Bean Android keyboard (not Swype, and not HTC Sense input) is working flawlessly, in case you installed it previously. Before the update, the keyboard would force close when adding words to the dictionary. Now, it functions as it should.
  • HTC Media Link HD now appears in the Settings, under Wireless & networks. If you select it, and you’re not connected to a Media Link HD device, then an annoying informational video will start playing automatically.
  • Beats Audio also appears as a separate option in Settings, under Phone.
  • The Power menu has been updated, as well, along with new, easy access to Power saver options.
  • A new app called Rescue+Mobile has been added, powered by LogMeIn. It looks like it will be used to remotely connect to your device if you require technical assistance, but for the time being, I’m going to disable it.
  • The News & Weather app has also been added, even though it no longer appears on Nexus devices. I assume that Google is no longer updating or supporting this app, but it’s still nice to see it included in case people want it.
  • HTC no longer includes a separate app to download other apps, ringtones, sound sets, or skins. The option to “Get more” also no longer appears when updating your ringtone or skin in the Personalize menu.
  • From my limited amount of time with the update, it does in fact appear that the contact and SMS lag bug has been squashed. We will need more time to confirm this, but everything is functioning as it should on my end.

Of course, there are other well-documented changes, many of which we’ll explore in depth in the coming days. In the meantime, however, enjoy the update – and be sure to share what other changes you discover below!

John F

98 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE Jelly Bean OTA update to 3.15.651.16 rolling out now [Updated]

FIRST! WOOOOT hope it fixes the contacts lag issue!!

or… second… darn.

hahaha i get the updates about this site sent to my phone so i can respond right away!!

Downloading right now

Downloading it right now! Norfolk, Virginia

I’m getting it now, Yay!

Yup. Just checked, and am downloading it now. I’m in Duluth, Minnesota. 12:42pm Central Time

downloading in Houston, TX :-)

It’s downloading right now! Ahhh! Finally!

Dang it and no wi-fi to be had at my office. Oh well have fun will just read all of everyone elses joy.

Got it!!!!

mine was downloading but then got a message that the download was corrupted. restarting my phone now to try it again

• Downloading it now. So excited. Not sure why though.

now it says that my phone is up to date… AWESOME

im back. and mine its downloading. it must have been work’s crappy wifi as it is downloading on 3g. yes, it will take hours but i have hours to kill before getting home!

Downloading now. Lets see how this goes!!!

• Damn, when the hell is Sprint gonna do something useful and release Key Lime Pie!? This waiting is bull!!!

; )

Just received it. Downloading now

Finished & loaded! Loving the new voicemail skin & icon. Subtle little tweaks & changes but it really does feel fantastic. :-)

Got it in the SF Bay Area.

MEAN ROM please hurry ;-)

• Installled. Feels much more responsive, and my contacts are coming up quickly again :D

More to test, but it seems like they may have resolved some things. I hope so

• I’m not sure what it is yet, but now I have an “HTC Media Link HD” in my settings

I got the update. Finally! They brought the carousel back too, nice.

I always like to do a factory reset after an update like this to make sure everything is working as perfectly as it should.

Finally a SoundHound icon in the app drawer

Camera makes click sound even on silent and vibrate >:-[

Downloading in St. Louis

Any word on a flashable version of it yet? I’m stock rooted, but it fails after it reboots to apply the update.

Looks like it downloaded to the wrong location. Any word on if this breaks root? or if OTARootKeeper works?

Damn if this running smooth and did anyone else notice stock browser still has flash player. I have to give it up to HTC on that.

+1, I noticed that too… Glad for it…

Downloading now in Northern Va – DC Metro area!

Keyboard is a little smaller guess ill have to adjust.

Figured out the Keyboard, you have more selections to choose from now i got my arrows up and down and left and right back yawwww!

The camera settings are different, looks like some improvements. Maybe John’s team can give a detailed synopsis?

• Yeah, we’ll be covering some of the new JB stuff over the coming days, so stay tuned.

I’ve got a sweet tooth today…
    JELLYBEAN CONFIRMED!

Have tried to install it 2 times, keep getting the red triangle with the exclamation point. ARGH. Any suggestions?

You may want to try doing a factory reset and then try the update again.

Yeah, downloaded and tried a 3rd time. Still no go. Thanks for the tip. Will try tonight.

Does anyone know if expanding and collapsing notifications works? It’s not working for me with text messages..

Is the location for anyone else defaulting to Las Vegas? When I pull up maps it shows my correct location but the time and weather information is wrong. (I’m I Nashville, TN and it’s showing my time being 2 hours behind)

• Playstation mobile still will not install though :(
    (it tries, then just says “app not installed”)

It installed and is running for me.

• Did you have to do anything special? Or did you just install the apk, from the article posted the other day?

I may have to perform a system restore on my phone this weekend. I may have some crap screwing with my phone (based on other odd stuff lately).

I just installed the apk. I didn’t do anything special. The app seems a little buggie though, so it may not be your phone that is the problem, it’s probably the app.

Is there a 1×1 widget for immediate google now vice search? I used GVS before?

the full-screen stocks widget is now gone too! darn…

• him rooted and s-off are we still waiting for a dev to make a zip that we can flash???

• never mind i got a zip that has hboot and revovery takin out.. now just wait for a rom that based on the new ote and we golden!

• got it downloaded in Baltimore area…going to wait for the dust to settle to see who has problems with jellybean

Ya my favorite people widget is gone now too. Ugh!

My favorite clock is gone too! ;(

• I also noticed my Favorite people widget is gone. Is it gone for good? I used it to quickly contact people

• I did find the People widget and you can resize the size once it is on a screen.

Still no “kill all” button in the task switcher, huh?

Did a factory reset and tried to install it again. Got the redtriangle and exclamation point AGAIN. So frustrated. Any other suggestions?

So, I have the update waiting in my notification tray. Why am I apprehensive all of a sudden? I mean, I know I’m gonna do it, I’m just waiting for some bad news from some of ya’ll before I jump in…am I being silly? Help me out John!

• What do you want me to say? I’ve updated, and it’s working fine, except for a few Superuser issues that are probably my own fault…

See? Chris is scaring me, he’s having issues…

When I tried before I reset, it didn’t screw anything up. It just didn’t install. Nothing to lose, go for it.

SHHAAAAWWIIIINNNNG!

Thanks Chris, I’m d’loading it now. You should try to check your storage, the file is kinda large, though that shouldn’t be an issue unless you have a ton of apps. It’s d’loading hella slow on my device, and I’m on WiFi. Hope it installs faster…

• I’m on stock rom, but with TWRP recovery. When I try to install, my phone just boots into recovery.

If I flash back to stock recovery, would that fix?

Got it, Got it, Got it it’s as smooth as butter ;)

D’load took forever!! Now comes the install…(fingers crossed)

• Hey everybody if you hold down the home button it brings up Google now and if you say Google after that it brings up the voice search. And you can put the arrows back on the keyboard in the settings options for language and keyboard.

Just finished installing it but I have unrooted stock. No issues so far. I like Google Now but it seems a bit slow for the moment.

downloaded jelly bean earlier today. This evening received a text from a friend, the name came up unname, even though he is in my contact list. I am assuming this was 1 of the contact bugs? If so I am experiencing this bug actually for the first timeafter upgrading to jelly bean. Just got my evo 4g lte last week and had not yet seen the bug.

• y no quick settings in notification tray?

• Also available is PlayStation Mobile once downloaded, just search PlayStation Mobile on PlayStation.com and click the download link for Xperia, which will then have a supported devices list including the EVO and an download link

Joey, I’m not finding the link you mention on playstation.com, and the only HTC phones they show support for are the One S, V,and X. What am I missing?

Never mind. I found it. Feeling stupid right now.

This update is amazing. My phone has never run smoother. The Facebook update came right after the update today. Wholly crap. Spectacular improvement. It’s about time.

• Updated it, everythings smoother but my phone doesn’t like to switch between 3g and wifi and my nav keeps crashing.

My software version says it is “3.15.651.16 710RD”. Is there some difference?

Noticed after update, that when done with phone call, screen will not turn back on. I have to hit power button and then end call.

Well downloaded it and now my beats audio headphones won’t work with it any one else have this issue?

I’m having the exact problem (and it’s my only problem). In my case though, I’m using regular headphones.

I am also seeing the same behaviour as redeye – when I pick up a call, my screen display goes black. If I press the power button, it turn back on. Same thing also happens when I try to listen to a voicemail message. New bug me thinks.

The FM Radio is updated. Will take some getting used to… the shortcut I had did not work, so I had to delete it and replace it. then it worked fine.

Redeye – You will need to clean the proximity sensor with a soft clean tower or Q-tip. I had the same problem, after cleaning it, the phone display returned when I removed it from my ear so I could hang it up.

Love the update but I’m still not receiving my voicemails through my visual voicemail …any way to fix that??

• Wat happen to the microphone in the keyboard for the text to speech

• Press and hold the button wtih the mic symbol until you see the icon pop up, then the mic is on

Not at all happy with Bluetooth dialing. Used to be ” speak now” and I say Call so and so at Mobile. Now its ” say ‘call’ followed by a name or number” and then it won’t dial default numbers for contacts. Prompts me for home mobile work by 123 and you can’t talk over the assistant and if it doesn’t understand, it says “I didn’t catch that” and yore done. Not at all hands free because I end up having to grab the phone and dialing anyway. VERY frustrating.

Thanks Sprint and HTC for this half a** android update! I’m having the same problem after calls and you’d think as long as it took we wouldnt have had any bugs….prob take forever for them to fix them! Battery has improved overall. They left out alot of tweaks that made jellybean “jellybean” to me like lockscreen widgets and muti touch swipes in the notification bar. Sure Ill get a Nexus device next time.

My bad it does have that multi touch notification function.

• Is anybody having trouble wit the play store mines just keep on crashing wat can I do

All anyone did was wine about where’s jb for the EVO blah blah and now we have it and everyone seems to be complaining more and more. I love what jb did for my EVO. Its smooth as shit cameras better. And the keyboard is better. I like being able to go right through the homescreens instead of back and forth. Quadrant scores are close to 8000 I mean come on . I’m loving jb on my EVO

This also gives us the ability to have a full screen dialer, goto the dialer, press menu button, choose full screen dialer. You can revert back by same method just select smart dialer instead. I thought someone should know incase this feature was missed.

• the mic has disappeared from my keyboard display altogether. I can only use voice input by going to change the input method from settings. what am I missing?

• I lost my mic button all together and not sure how to get it back. It use to be by itself then with the update it was above the period but now it’s not there either. Any idea how to get it back?

• Did a soft reset and got the mic button back on the period key. I liked it better when it was a button by itself.