ROM Picks: MeanBean v0.4 for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

If you’ve been struggling these past few days, wanting the latest Jelly Bean update on your rooted HTC EVO 4G LTE but not having many custom ROMs to choose from, fret no more. Developer mikeyxda (the subject of a recent Dev Spotlight) has released a custom JB-based ROM called MeanBean.

While a few others have also succeeded in this feat over the past four days, I believe MeanBean may be the first to address most, if not all, of the problems that came with the HTC/Sprint release of the Jelly Bean OS.

MeanBean shares some similar traits that people loved with MeanROM. The goals are still the same – be mostly stock in look and feel, apply tweaks to run the OS to the maximum potential, and to apply functionality not in the base ROM.

Here’s a quick list of some of the important fixes and changes from the new stock:

• Fixed incorrect SMS/MMS time stamp when roaming
  • Fixed gallery FC when using Dropbox
  • Proximity sensor fix (working for some)
  • MeanBean OTA updater added
  • 5-in-1 power menu with recovery and bootloader options
  • Browser modded to allow 15 open pages
  • MMS capable of going up to 5MB (no more horridly squished MMS)
  • Screen-on with new MMS
  • Camera can disable sounds, record in higher resolution
  • Removed persistent useless power management notification from status bar
  • MMS over WiFi
  • “Roam Only” option in mobile network settings
  • Google Wallet doesn’t report “device unsupported”
  • WiFi Tether included
  • Persistent GPS icon disabled
  • Ringtones from the EVO 3D added
  • Disabled night mode (midnight-7:00 am power saving hours)
  • Added HTC Notes

There have been four releases of MeanBean, including the initial release, and if MeanROM was any indicator the developer will not stop working on the ROM until he’s satisfied he’s gotten everything into it features-wise and everything out of it bug-wise that is possible.

My initial impressions of a dirty-flashed 0.3 (over a stock new JB install,) which was updated that same day to 0.4 follow:

• The camera is now significantly less annoying. I can take pictures of my friends without the annoying fake shutter sound.
  • The performance tweaks and mods do not seem to do too much; they’re not discernible via AnTuTu, Quadrant, or my eye. However they don’t hinder anything that I can tell
  • I’m getting some weirdness with GPS in areas with LTE.
  • A number of programs show black screens in the app selection screen
  • Generally, this is the same feel as the stock JB Sense 4+ ROM without most of the annoyances

For those wondering, MeanBean does not include the radios or the new HBOOT, so if you’re having LTE connectivity issues, you’ll need to flash those separately if you’re S-OFF. It does not appear to require those, however, so if you’re fine with your radios, stick with them.

As there are no custom Sense 4+ kernels for JB yet, some of the neat features for processor management and wake control (such as slide to wake) are not there. These will be coming after HTC releases source for their kernels as required by the GPL, but that may take a bit as HTC seems to not consider this a priority.

Be sure to make a full nandroid backup before installing, and let us know how it works for you. For me it’s been a pretty bug-free ride.

Also, if you’re having any issues, please let the developer know in his support thread, which is linked below.

[xda-developers]

Paul E King

20 thoughts on “ROM Picks: MeanBean v0.4 for the HTC EVO 4G LTE

• December 17, 2012 at 6:12 am

best rom for the evo 3d and now the evo LTE.. hands down! mikey is a beast!!

• December 17, 2012 at 7:29 am

I flashed this yesterday, and have been playing with it a lot. I have not really run into too many problems. I had a few with 0.3, but got an OTA update to 0.4 and it seems to have cleared those up. I look forward to seeing what else gets added, especially after the kernel source is released.

• December 17, 2012 at 7:32 am

Nice. To be honest I kept checking the OTA updater a lot. But I guess your saying it’s a whole new beast and I would have never received the notification for this being out. Lol that’s why.. Paul is the man!

Thanks. I can’t wait to give it a go.

• December 17, 2012 at 7:58 am

yup, it needs a fresh start. Doesn’t appear in the MeanROM updater…

• December 17, 2012 at 7:59 am

As a note, the proximity sensor today is working completely normally with 0.4 for me.. seemed to have been odd the first day.

• December 17, 2012 at 8:11 am

I went back to cm10. Running sense ROMs kills my battery so fast its ridiculous. Plus cm10 is much quicker and smoother. Plus its weird to me that the sense ROMs are like 3 times bigger than aokp builds. Where is all the bloat?

• December 17, 2012 at 8:12 am

I’ve never rooted since the days of the OG EVO 4G but I believe now is the time and rooting is the way to go. Time to freshen up and reread the rooting guides. I like for my root to be as close to stock as possible without the bugs, it sounds like this MeanBean ROM is the one for me. Thanks for the info Paul.

• December 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

I was stock on my LTE for quite awhile. Previously, on my EVO 4G, I ran CM 7.1 and was happy with it, so when CM 10.0 came out, I thought I’d try it. I couldn’t get bluetooth audio to work with my BT jabra sport, which was kind of a dealbreaker, so just yesterday I installed a recently-released rooted stock JB (viperboy’s?). It seems to work pretty well (including BT)l, but now this one sounds even better! I’d rather have a Sense-free ROM like CM, but need BT… anyone have any ideas on that?

• December 17, 2012 at 9:58 am

give it a week or two, I’m sure someone will pull a lot of the good bits out of the Sense release and incorporate them into one of the EVO 4G LTE custom AOSP ROMs soon enough.

• December 17, 2012 at 10:04 am

Installed it on my GF’s phone ever since .1 came out.
    I used this on my EVO 3D for a good while. I later on fell into the temptation of going into Jelly Bean, but that is another story :)

• December 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

Wow! Even better than MeanROM ICS. You just one-upp’d Sprint and HTC again. They should have you on staff!

• December 17, 2012 at 10:50 am

I really start having the feeling that Sprint/HTC put these products out without much testing. I found several bugs within minutes of installing JB.

Seems it would be better to release a beta to the root world on the condition that they fix it and send it back ;)

• December 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Do the Roms for the evo 4g LTE still connect to 4G LTE? I’m used to rooting my og EVO and none of those roms had Wimax/4G

• December 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Yup. The very first releases of the CMX unofficial nightlies didn’t, but after the first month or so everything had LTE.

Now, from ROM to ROM it may be sketchy, I’ve read some people having issues on ROM X while others don’t, however that may just be the radios. I do not know.

I’ve seen and used LTE on MeanROM, one of the CMX variants, and I saw it on MeanBean for a second… however there are only a few areas around me with it… it worked fine when I was near it though.

• December 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I keep getting “Unfortunately,dashboard data has stopped” I did a full wipe before installing MeanBean .04 and I’m S-Off.

• December 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I ment to say that it says “Unfortunately, Data Dashboard has stopped”.

• September 16, 2013 at 5:45 am

Hi…. Just wanted to know why im I having issues with the wifi feature….. It turns on, and its detected by several devices…but there is no internet connection at all…thanks

• September 16, 2013 at 8:28 am

If you’re actually running the 0.4 version there have been 32 newer versions and now the ROM is discontinued.

Sounds like an issue with flashing on an S-ON device, grab a copy of Flash Image GUI and re-flash the kernel see if that helps.

• September 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Paul… Ill check and let you know… ;-)