Tip: Google Wallet refunds arriving as “Everywhere Reward” MasterCard

Google Wallet refund card - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

We previously reported that Google Wallet had discontinued the prepaid card option, and most of you who had a balance on the card have probably requested your refund. Those refunds have recently started arriving, but in a way that is confusing many customers.

Good and EVO reader Ian shared a picture of the letter and the card he received, which says in bold letters at the top, “Recently, you reported your Everywhere Reward MasterCard lost or stolen.” It doesn’t mention Google Wallet anywhere in the letter, which is leading some people to get nervous. Ian wrote, “This put me in a panic, thinking that someone stole my identity and was trying to open an account at a bank I’ve never heard of.”

Luckily, a quick call to MasterCard’s customer service will clear up the confusion, and you’ll be able to confirm that the card is indeed from Google. (The process of actually talking to someone is a little convoluted, though. In Ian’s case, he had to call the activation number on the card, enter his number incorrectly three times, and wait on hold before someone would talk to him. Gone are the days of customer service reps answering a call on the first ring right after you dial.)

In any case, if you get a replacement card from a bank you’ve never heard of, check and see if it looks like this. If it does, chances are this is your Google Wallet refund, so there’s no need to panic.

Thanks, Ian!

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

10 thoughts on “Tip: Google Wallet refunds arriving as “Everywhere Reward” MasterCard

December 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Seems like this could cause some people a fair amount of confusion.

Google seems to be able to bring its A game to everything it does online, but you can really tell how inexperienced they are with dealing with physical products and services.

Between all of the issues with Google Wallet and this year’s Nexus line, they really need to reevaluate their policies and bring someone in who has a bit more experience providing support on the hardware / customer support side of things.

I’m sure a company on Google’s level wouldn’t have had much of an issue getting Mastercard to include a customized note, or at least order the gift cards themselves and send them out personally.

Hell, they could have at least used a Google logo as the background for the card.

December 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Yep, pretty much! It’s very disconcerting to get a replacement for a “lost or stolen” card that you don’t remember losing!

December 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I requested a check and received it on Saturday. I’m at work so I can’t send in the stub, but it was equally convoluted. The only reason I recognized it was because of the dollar amount (literally)

December 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm

This is a bit odd, but I wish I had gotten one. I had Google Wallet set up on my Nexus S with the credit, but never got to spend it. When it came time to redeem the credit, the form wanted a device MEID and other various information. Since the Nexus S was long gone, I wasn’t able to get the credit. I assumed that Google would have all the information that they needed in my account, but I suppose they didn’t want people making multiple accounts to get more credit. While Google obviously didn’t owe me anything, I would have liked to get the card, but would actually have preferred to be able to spend the cash through Wallet.

December 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

You’d think that Google would’ve done something to make sure its customers knew exactly what that card was for. That just seems really weird for a company that usually does so much correctly…

December 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for this article, I was definitely confused when I got the card and would never have guessed that it was the Wallet refund! It definitely should have mentioned Google Wallet and not said it was a replacement for a lost or stolen card, which isn’t the case.

December 19, 2012 at 6:28 am

I received my card yesterday and also panicked when I saw the line that said I had recently reported my card lost or stolen. I called the customer service number and they informed me that is was from Google. I was also worried that it was a case of identity theft. I asked if these cards would be the rumored physical card linked to our google wallet accounts, and the woman said no. They are basically single use gift cards.

December 19, 2012 at 11:30 am

I was wondering where the heck this was coming from!

Seems kind of odd to me that they would send me a debit card, just to redeem my 17 cents that was left over on my prepaid balance… Oh well!

December 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I figured it was spam so I cut it up and threw it away. Just got an email for google explaining it was the refund. Facepalm.

December 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

I received the card with missed information, also unable to use card. $10.00 on it. This seems to be some type of scam. Beware.